Our valued sponsor

How do you avoid border controls in Romania, Bulgaria and Cyprus when entering from other EU countries?

RealDude

Pro Member
Dec 30, 2021
West
Visit site
Last edited:
How do you avoid border controls in Romania, Bulgaria and Cyprus when entering from other EU countries or leaving them to the open EU.

As you know, they are not in the Schengen area. The entry-exit leaves a digital date in the EU-Computersystem.

29 November 2022 EU: e-Evidence: Commission welcomes political agreement to strengthen cross-border access for criminal investigations
You can't; you will always go through passport control when entering those countries. So outside of luck, corruption or jumping the border landside, not many options.

What's the EU computer system? You'll get an exit stamp when you leave Bulgaria for example, it isn't digital. ETIAS will make it digital, though for third-country nationals.

Cross the land border at night.

The last time I was in Gibraltar, they did not ask for my passport at night.
If I crossed during daytime, I had to show it and they checked it.

The same was the case at the border between South and North Cyprus in Nicosia/Lefkosia.

Reactions: Mr Eros
Schengen Information System. This is a common database that flags up any known security issues with individuals.
they can check this anytime, even at traffic stops or just a normal incident with the police e.g. some bar fights or so. It is not limited and often not done at eu-internal border (which do not matter much in eu theory).

Cross the land border at night.

The last time I was in Gibraltar, they did not ask for my passport at night.
If I crossed during daytime, I had to show it and they checked it.

The same was the case at the border between South and North Cyprus in Nicosia/Lefkosia.

The North/South Cyprus border isn't treated as "exiting" the South though?

They regard the North as "theirs" - and if you arrive in the North (eg via ECN) and try to enter the South, they can hassle you?

They regard the North as "theirs" - and if you arrive in the North (eg via ECN) and try to enter the South, they can hassle you?
Yes, they can hassle you. But during the night nobody checked the passports on the south side.
During the day the passports were scanned.
Maybe it changed nowadays. I don't know.
But in my experience, the controls are generally more lax at night.