Our valued sponsor

How safe is Transferwise for holding money?

UNSAFE.

ALSO DEPENDS HOW MUCH MONEY YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

I just had my Transferwise account frozen with 35K euro in it, for absolutely no reason, running my 100% legit online business.

My own fauly thinking it was safe to keep all this business funds in one single EMI.
It would have NEVER happened with my HSBC account. I was using Transferwise because I had to pay directly
my supplier in China in their own currency (CNY), and HSBC doesn't let me do that.

My advice: Use 4-5 different EMIs.
Unsafe because you sent money to China?

I know a lot of people are happy with them, but my experience is rather different. Had a corporate account closed without notice and funds frozen for 3 weeks (even if I got them back to the last single penny) for a reason I still can not figure out today.
The account was funded by first party transfers in EUR only (the company holding the account and 2 subsidiaries, same name) all 3 within the EU, outgoing transfers in various currencies to various suppliers, which is their core business and what they are supposed to do.

Perhaps they felt uncomfortable with the volumes, or the countries we sended moeny to, and I would accept they decide to close an account because it does not fit to their policies. But in this case, they should give proper notice. Instead, they decided to freeze funds at the same time, asking for things like the 6 last months of bank statements of all account the sending companies had (found this really odd), internal invoices.

Worst of all, awful customer service : or they don t know, can t tell, have no idea, or they just send automated replies, with sometimes several days of delay when you contact them.
Finally, after 3 weeks, one day after another bunch of documents had be requested (and not yet submitted) they send an email asking for bank details to proceed to a refund. I must say it was done quickly.

So, perhaps just back luck, but for me it was enough, and would not recommand this company.

Reactions: needhelp
I know a lot of people are happy with them, but my experience is rather different. Had a corporate account closed without notice and funds frozen for 3 weeks (even if I got them back to the last single penny) for a reason I still can not figure out today.
The account was funded by first party transfers in EUR only (the company holding the account and 2 subsidiaries, same name) all 3 within the EU, outgoing transfers in various currencies to various suppliers, which is their core business and what they are supposed to do.

Perhaps they felt uncomfortable with the volumes, or the countries we sended moeny to, and I would accept they decide to close an account because it does not fit to their policies. But in this case, they should give proper notice. Instead, they decided to freeze funds at the same time, asking for things like the 6 last months of bank statements of all account the sending companies had (found this really odd), internal invoices.

Worst of all, awful customer service : or they don t know, can t tell, have no idea, or they just send automated replies, with sometimes several days of delay when you contact them.
Finally, after 3 weeks, one day after another bunch of documents had be requested (and not yet submitted) they send an email asking for bank details to proceed to a refund. I must say it was done quickly.

So, perhaps just back luck, but for me it was enough, and would not recommand this company.

I had the same experience as you, but they just froze my account and over 35K euro without any notice and without requesting any documents. My business cash flow is zero right now due to their fault.

I had the same experience as you, but they just froze my account and over 35K euro without any notice and without requesting any documents. My business cash flow is zero right now due to their fault.
what is latest status for your issue with them? are you doing any progress in providing the documents and information they ask for?

what is latest status for your issue with them? are you doing any progress in providing the documents and information they ask for?
No status update means most often this guy sorted it out but forgot to come back here to let us know. People aim to only scream loud once everything is going wrong for them, as soon as things are sorted they forget about everything :(

Transferwise has been the perfect EMI for me for some time, soon I will open another account for my new Wyoming LLC which is in registration process by the agent.

Reactions: rowena
Invariably, the only people that aren't happy with Transferwise are customers who are disappointed that whatever scammy operation or payments they were trying to make get flagged and their accounts closed.

There are very few legitimate complaints and it works as advertised for thousands of customers.

I've used it for a few years without issue to send and receive reasonable volumes of cash. The only real 'issue' I've had is a payment to India that took a while as they had to run some checks on it. Otherwise, it's worked flawlessly. But I'm not using darks, or in an adult niche, etc.

I'm account holder with many different service EMI's that offer multi currency accounts and money transfer services to real banks. I have been happy with many of them and good real good service from TW as also AdvCash and Paysera.

I have GBP and EUR accounts with all the EMI's I opened and none have so far closed my account or asked for extra documents, most ignore my volume ( 50000$ month) and don't even ask for website.
Does Avdcash provides you IBAN? So it could be possible to link it with Paypal ?

No status update means most often this guy sorted it out but forgot to come back here to let us know. People aim to only scream loud once everything is going wrong for them, as soon as things are sorted they forget about everything :(

Transferwise has been the perfect EMI for me for some time, soon I will open another account for my new Wyoming LLC which is in registration process by the agent.
I must agree with you, I have yet to have a single problem with TransferWise.

Latest Threads