Our valued sponsor

How to sell ebooks international - Jurisdiction, VAT, invoicing

valtrue

Sep 24, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

I'd like to start selling ebooks in Europe. I'm an Europeam, I live in Portugal.

I'd like to have possibilities to setup bank accounts in variety of currencies in few countries. I don't know which country is best to incorporate a company in order to easily setup bank accounts in EU banks.
I'm considering an Cyprus or Delware company, what are your thoughts about it? Maybe you have any ideas for other jurisdictions that would be better?

One more issue that bothers me - invoices and VAT tax.
Do I have to register my company to VAT in each country I sell my products to or can I do it other way?
Do I have to issue invoice for each sale and send it to customer with my product?

To speed up my purchase process I'd like to simplify any formalities in my order form and get only an email address (to deliver my digital product) - should I change my conception and get full customer data before purchase though? Can I simplify this topic to only issue invoices on demand?

Reactions: JohnLocke
I don't know which country is best to incorporate a company in order to easily setup bank accounts in EU banks.
If you live in Portugal then Portugal.

Do I have to register my company to VAT in each country I sell my products to or can I do it other way?
You can do it via MOSS. Ask an accountant about it.

Do I have to issue invoice for each sale and send it to customer with my product?
Yes

I heard about MOSS, but I'm not sure about details.
Instead of paying VAT to each EU country separately, you submit a report on the Portuguese MOSS portal.

The portal will calculate the total amount which you will pay to the Portuguese tax office. They will then redistribute it to different EU countries for you.

I don't want to incorporate a company in home country.
You may incorporate a UK limited company but it will still have to pay taxes as if it were a Portuguese company.

Can I get customer details, issue invoice and deliver it to customer after payment?
Probably, ask a Portuguese accountant.

Reactions: valtrue
Instead of paying VAT to each EU country separately, you submit a report on the Portuguese MOSS portal.

The portal will calculate the total amount which you will pay to the Portuguese tax office. They will then redistribute it to different EU countries for you.

You may incorporate a UK limited company but it will still have to pay taxes as if it were a Portuguese company.

Probably, ask a Portuguese accountant.

What if I obtain UK residence and Cyprus company? Will pay taxes as UK LTD or what?
Can I register in Cyprus MOSS portal and will thet make this operation for me?

Latest Threads