Our valued sponsor

IB shutting down Malta accounts?

Frankie

Oct 22, 2023
Austria
Visit site
IB shut down my account after 3 years. I'm resident in Malta.

I tried to open a corporate account after their sales rep told me it is possible. During the sign up the registration said "not accepting new clients from your jurisdiction".
Stupidly I contacted the agent and said "hey, it says you don't accept from this jurisdiction but I already have a personal account".
The rep asked for my account ID and a week later I got an email that my IB account (with a very solid amount) is being shut down.

I wonder if this is a new policy not to accept Malta or something that I did wrong. They did ask me questions about PoF/SoW, I always replied with invoices, explanations, etc.

• Wow
Reactions: jafo
Ouch!

What other brokers are available on Malta?
Can you migrate your portfolios to another broker or you must liquidate everything and move the cash out?
Yes, I am already migrating the portfolio to another broker. Lots of brokers work with Malta, as @lacomaco mentioned Saxo work with Malta. But they are a lot more expensive on the custody fees, trading fees, don't give % on deposits, etc.

Use Saxo, they are more expensive but Malta is OK for them
Correct, they do work with Malta.

It's strange... I open an account with IB a month ago from Malta
Great! But don't call them now and ask them "why." Please...

Let sleeping dogs lie - dont start what you cant finish.png

;)

It's strange... I open an account with IB a month ago from Malta
You better ask them what is going on before you are going to deposit any money there.