Our valued sponsor

In which countries can a non-citizen purchase land?

SmartestSmarty

Nov 30, 2022
London UK
Visit site
Hello all,

I have noticed investing in apartments is not too difficult in many different countries, however when it comes to buying a house that sits on land (even if it is a small garden) - or simply buying land by itself, a non citizen is not allowed to own it.

So, in which countries can a non-citizen own land?

Reactions: Mister Sir
Sometimes there are workarounds, such as buying the property in a company. For example in Bulgaria buying a house with land is only allowed if bought with a Bulgarian company or to a BG or EU national. But apartments can be bought with no restrictions. A lot of countries are similar.
It does not really complicate things as it is still relatively easy to buy under a company.

Depending on the region you want to buy property in, Portugal,UK, Malaysia etc... AFAIK have no restrictions on foreign ownership.

Japan.
You can buy land, houses, condos, etc. in your own name. Even on a tourist visa or entry stamp.
Maybe the only place in Asia that allows it without any special roundabouts like in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia or Indonesia. But it doesn't give you any residence permission.
And only certified farmers can buy farmland, that's also the rule for Japanese citizens.
BTW, it's not as expensive as it was 20 years ago. Land with old houses on it is cheaper than land only. You can get this house with land for just $20,000. Property taxes around $700 per year.

Last edited:
Reactions: jafo
A simple Google search reveals the answer :rolleyes:eek¤%& -> List Of Countries Where Foreigners Can Buy Land | askBAMLand

Advice: Do not do it, except you've personal connections to the country where you intend to buy land. Nothing easier then to seize land from a foreigner.
Correct.

A dirty foreigner is almost always better off buying local stocks if ones hand cannot sit still and one has to buy something. Thats because its something reserved for the local elite which couldn't care less about a minority shareholder from elsewhere.
However land is a very easy topic for the masses to understand since many of them own it (contrary to stocks) and expropriating foreigner is an easy political tool in such an environment.

Sometimes there are workarounds, such as buying the property in a company. For example in Bulgaria buying a house with land is only allowed if bought with a Bulgarian company or to a BG or EU national. But apartments can be bought with no restrictions. A lot of countries are similar.
It does not really complicate things as it is still relatively easy to buy under a company.

Depending on the region you want to buy property in, Portugal,UK, Malaysia etc... AFAIK have no restrictions on foreign ownership.

Thank you, owning it as a company makes sense if it is for rental income, and maybe depending on tax rates for the capital appreciation.

What if you simply want to buy a house, and keep it, maybe live in, maybe use it periodically through out the year.
If it is purchased under a company, the company will make no revenue and just sit there on the balance sheet. Is that permissible, and you simply file some dormant company accounts each financial year?

Thank you, owning it as a company makes sense if it is for rental income, and maybe depending on tax rates for the capital appreciation.

What if you simply want to buy a house, and keep it, maybe live in, maybe use it periodically through out the year.
If it is purchased under a company, the company will make no revenue and just sit there on the balance sheet. Is that permissible, and you simply file some dormant company accounts each financial year?
No. I am telling you that legally you are not allowed to purchase a home on personal name unless in a company name. What does rental income have to do with that? What does a company's revenue have to do with purchasing a home?

Company's are used all over the world for asset protection and privacy, it does not need to be a fully running business. It is just a structure.

Same way you create a company in Bulgaria to purchase and drive a car as a foreigner.
Set up a company, and purchase a home for personal use. Simple as that.

No. I am telling you that legally you are not allowed to purchase a home on personal name unless in a company name. What does rental income have to do with that? What does a company's revenue have to do with purchasing a home?

Company's are used all over the world for asset protection and privacy, it does not need to be a fully running business. It is just a structure.

Same way you create a company in Bulgaria to purchase and drive a car as a foreigner.
Set up a company, and purchase a home for personal use. Simple as that.
Thanks, I mentioned it as generally a company should be a going concern, if not, dormant. There are still filing requirements even for a dormant company. So purchasing under a company is allowable, I’m just pointing out that there will probably be some annual filing requirements just for holding the house in a company name.

Thanks, I mentioned it as generally a company should be a going concern, if not, dormant. There are still filing requirements even for a dormant company. So purchasing under a company is allowable, I’m just pointing out that there will probably be some annual filing requirements just for holding the house in a company name.
Sure, but the cost especially in those countries will be minimal. Shouldn't be more that 50-100 euros. I guess that's the price to pay to live in a house. Best of luck.

You can purchase land in Brazil as a non-citizen/non-resident. You only need to have your passport, the address where you reside, and your CPF (Brazilian Individual Tax Identification Number). You can use an EMI like Stone/RecargaPay as a bank account if you need a Brazilian account while not being a resident or citizen.