Our valued sponsor

Incorporating in Malta

bandanna

Apr 1, 2023
World
Visit site
Heard many things about incorporating in Malta, but reality is just … full of surprises. Long processes, slow pace, and many services just were either overpriced or didn’t demonstrate trustworthiness in any way. Many of those.

I’d like to ask:

- Do you advise having a corporate lawyer review the constitutional documents (memorandum and article of association maknly)? Any recommended service?

- Is there in fact any difference between having a nominee director vs. one of the shareholders being the director (non is a resident in Malta)? … one of them lives in Portugal under NHR and looking to benefit from dividends 0% in PT due to DTA. Seems like if authorities start digging either has the same amount of risk.

- What are important points to make sure exist in the constitutional documents so we are protected from any issues with the nominee director? How can we make sure the agreement protect us enough to fire him if needed?

- If somebody here helps with setting a corporate in Malta as a service (incl director option), or can help with legal review of the agreements we have, that’d be great!

Thanks!

- Do you advise having a corporate lawyer review the constitutional documents (memorandum and article of association maknly)? Any recommended service?
Yes. Articles have to be purpose specific in Malta. Have your lawyer/corporate service provider draft them, based on your requirements.

- Is there in fact any difference between having a nominee director vs. one of the shareholders being the director (non is a resident in Malta)? … one of them lives in Portugal under NHR and looking to benefit from dividends 0% in PT due to DTA. Seems like if authorities start digging either has the same amount of risk.
Yes, it makes a difference. Director in Portugal is an easy way to make the company tax resident there. See the many other threads about Portugal NHR program and how it's not really designed for something like this.

- What are important points to make sure exist in the constitutional documents so we are protected from any issues with the nominee director? How can we make sure the agreement protect us enough to fire him if needed?
A lot of trust goes into appointing a director. Work with a regulated, reputable nominee provider. Study the nominee agreement and have a lawyer check it for you, so you understand the risks and have an opportunity to address them right away.

Gather KYC on the directors and on the provider. Make sure you have enough information on hand to sue them or can report them to law enforcement.

Aside from that, make sure the shareholders can remove a director immediately and with ease. You can prepare resignation paperwork in advance and have a backup director on standby to take over.

Since the director is often a signatory, keep an eye on your bank accounts. Shareholders (who aren't directors or relevant employees) don't have signatory rights on the accounts, but view access is usually fine.

Thanks for the reply @Sols , I’m glad didn’t ink anything yet and will be consulting with a corporate lawyer indeed.

When you say nominee agreement, are you referring to LoE or memurandom/articles of association? (Or perhaps in general any)

When you say nominee agreement, are you referring to LoE or memurandom/articles of association? (Or perhaps in general any)
LoE or similar agreement which dictates the relationship between the directors and shareholders/UBO. Sometimes, all it does is reference the law on how directors should act and behave. These should also be clarified in the M&AA.

I am a bit late in this topic but I hope there is still interest. First of all let me tell you that ALL agents for company creation you will find via Google are ripping you off. There are mainly Maltese and Germans who offer very simple services at prices of around EUR 7000,- for a simple one-director Limited Company
Their main job is to do a very thorough KYC with you in order to protect themselves against helping somebody to create a company for criminal activities. My advice is to look for a Maltese accountant firm, not too big, to do the job. Cost will be less than half in that case and the process takes only few weeks. I would be able to name a reliable accountant but please understand that I will not do so not knowing anybody and his intentions here in person.

What you can absolutely forget is to have a Maltese bank account. Unless you are a real criminal or a rich Chinese coming with 2 digit million USD you will not have one for your company. Believe me, I have tried with a very simple, straight-forward company for years before giving up. In fact the honest agents propose to help with a Swiss bank account right away, the less honest promise to help with a Maltese account against high fees which are paid in vain.

@bandanna : To sum up for you, do not look for a corporate lawyer but an accountant. However, if you really need a director service you will have to go the expensive way via CC or others. They will offer director and registered address at very high fees and with a long procedure. Accountants only offer registered address to my knowledge.

Heard many things about incorporating in Malta, but reality is just … full of surprises. Long processes, slow pace, and many services just were either overpriced or didn’t demonstrate trustworthiness in any way. Many of those.

I’d like to ask:

- If somebody here helps with setting a corporate in Malta as a service (incl director option), or can help with legal review of the agreements we have, that’d be great!

Thanks!

Hey,

Of course, documents should be examined by a lawyer or other experienced person, especially when you involve a nominee or have more than one shareholder.

If the director is indeed a licensed nominee (you sign an indemnity and trust deed) normally it should be very easy to change it.

If the director is not a licensed nominee, changing or revoking him is generally more difficult.

TBH best thing i've done is finding a good corporate lawyer, who reviewed LoE, POA, and MAA documents. Without him I'd not know how screwed I would be if I'd sign those. I totally advise anybody looking to incorporate in Malta to take the extra step of precaution. Happy to share contact as well.

I’d like to ask:

Thanks!
First of all, can you explain to us your organizational structure? Citizenship and residency of shareholders? What is your business activity?

I’d like to ask:

Thanks!
Would you mind sharing who you used? We're looking for something similar.

I am a bit late in this topic but I hope there is still interest. First of all let me tell you that ALL agents for company creation you will find via Google are ripping you off. There are mainly Maltese and Germans who offer very simple services at prices of around EUR 7000,- for a simple one-director Limited Company
Their main job is to do a very thorough KYC with you in order to protect themselves against helping somebody to create a company for criminal activities. My advice is to look for a Maltese accountant firm, not too big, to do the job. Cost will be less than half in that case and the process takes only few weeks. I would be able to name a reliable accountant but please understand that I will not do so not knowing anybody and his intentions here in person.

What you can absolutely forget is to have a Maltese bank account. Unless you are a real criminal or a rich Chinese coming with 2 digit million USD you will not have one for your company. Believe me, I have tried with a very simple, straight-forward company for years before giving up. In fact the honest agents propose to help with a Swiss bank account right away, the less honest promise to help with a Maltese account against high fees which are paid in vain.

@bandanna : To sum up for you, do not look for a corporate lawyer but an accountant. However, if you really need a director service you will have to go the expensive way via CC or others. They will offer director and registered address at very high fees and with a long procedure. Accountants only offer registered address to my knowledge.
This has been so useful, thank you! We are looking for an accounting firm to do this for us. Could you PM me any recommendations?

TBH best thing i've done is finding a good corporate lawyer, who reviewed LoE, POA, and MAA documents. Without him I'd not know how screwed I would be if I'd sign those. I totally advise anybody looking to incorporate in Malta to take the extra step of precaution. Happy to share contact as well.
Really appreciate this, could you share the contact details of the lawyer.

Last edited: