Our valued sponsor

Investing in Belgium real estate without being seen as tax resident

I’m from Belgium originally, but moved over 6 months ago to Dubai for tax purposes. I effectively live in Dubai for at least 6 months a year.

Now I’ve found an interesting property in Belgium that I’d like to buy.

How do I make sure Belgian tax man doesn’t handle me like a Belgian tax resident? Because the Belgian tax law says you will be tax resident in Belgium if that’s where the majority of your wealth/assets are…

Anyone knows how to work around this?

Yikes Belgium tax law hi%#.

Can you not out the property in a family members name who resides in Belgium?

Reactions: Marie Manila
I’m from Belgium originally, but moved over 6 months ago to Dubai for tax purposes. I effectively live in Dubai for at least 6 months a year.

How do I make sure Belgian tax man doesn’t handle me like a Belgian tax resident? Because the Belgian tax law says you will be tax resident in Belgium if that’s where the majority of your wealth/assets are…

Maybe get a mortgage from your Dubai company to buy the property maybe that way it will not be seen as wealth in Belgium..

What might make a bigger difference for tax residency is if you are actually going to stay in the place yourself as well, but not really into Belgium tax law that much haha.

I see there is a tax treaty between the UAE and Belgium so if the treaty applies to you then that will overwrite local laws.

1. Make sure you write them a letter asking to be "erased" from their financial records.
2. Make sure all those apartments/houses you will buy are either under construction , or for rent. or you let your parents stay there.

they choose tax residency based on (most important)
1 . where the person have (rent, own) a vacant (free) place to live.

Latest Threads