Our valued sponsor

Is information about transfers sent under CRS?

JustAnotherNomad

Pro Member
Oct 18, 2019
Visit site
I always thought that banks only include information about account balances at the end of the year in their CRS reports.
But I have read some places that they also include the total amounts that were transferred in and out of the account in the reports? Also accrued interest etc.?
Is that correct? Or is it only for certain countries?

I always thought that banks only include information about account balances at the end of the year in their CRS reports.
It is not so, unfortunately.
But I have read some places that they also include the total amounts that were transferred in and out of the account in the reports? Also accrued interest etc.?
Is that correct?
Yes, it is correct.
Or is it only for certain countries?
I am not aware about any exception – but it does not mean that it cannot exist. Under AEOI/CRS mechanism there are bilateral agreements between countries that can say many things.

Reactions: JustAnotherNomad
Is that correct? Or is it only for certain countries?
Bank accounts:
Account balance on 31.12. (or if they want: average balance in a year)
Gross interest

Bank account transactions are not part of AEOI/CRS.

Reactions: Radko
My understanding is that the total amount of transfers that occurred in the account during the year is not exchanged under CRS/AEOI. The total amount of interest/divs, etc. is included though.

What is included:
- Your personal info: name, address, jurisdiction(s) of residence, TIN(s), date and place of birth
- Account number
- Name and identifying number of the Reporting financial institution
- for Custodial account:
(i) total interest paid or credited
(ii) total amount of dividends
(iii) total gross amount of other income generated with respect to the assets
(iv) total gross proceeds from the sale or redemption of financial assets
- for Depository account: total gross amount of interest paid or credited to the account.
For all accounts: account balance at the end of the year

You may want to look at these docs:
- CRS FAQ from OECD website
- Info on the CRS XML exchanged also from the OECD website

crs.png

Found this somewhere. What about 8.?

First of all, 8 is "For all other other accounts". I assume OP was talking about a depositary (or maybe custodial) account,
Second this applies to amount paid or credited (i.e. no debits) "to which the RFI is the obligor or debtor". This is quite specific (e.g. you lended money to the RFI). At least that's how I read it...

@zzzzzz:
Bank account transactions are not part of AEOI/CRS.

Transactions are not; but what about the turnover?

Because i can drain my accounts if that how it works
Well,
1) that's probably why it is not so ;) – IMO;
2) as to have money on another CRS-reported account would not yield anything, you would have to convert all into cash/crypto/etc. anyway ;)
Useful links, thanks for pointing at it.
View attachment 5142

Found this somewhere. What about 8.?
Yes, it might be the point.
First of all, 8 is "For all other other accounts". I assume OP was talking about a depositary (or maybe custodial) account,
Second this applies to amount paid or credited (i.e. no debits) "to which the RFI is the obligor or debtor". This is quite specific (e.g. you lended money to the RFI). At least that's how I read it...
Honestly, everything is possible. :( I can be wrong, of course.

I guess e.g. @Sols can offer a really qualified insight, if he notices this.

In any case, it would mean that there are fields for "the gross amount paid or credited" in the CRS specification? Wouldn't it be possible that some banks provide more information that they are required to?
Well, as I have said, everything is possible.

My personal attitude is to see any account in any AEOI/CRS jurisdiction as (another government/taxmen)-transparent. But maybe I am just a little paranoid ;)

You sure?

Because i can drain my accounts if that how it works
You can do that but past history of the account can and will be requested by the tax office. In other words, there is no escape!

If you are a tax resident or citizen of country A and you have assets in financial institutions in country B, these institutions will report the data to the tax authorities of country B. If you are tax resident of country B with your bank/broker, country A should not have access to the CRS information automatically.

Ha Ha Ha …
1 software to report is the property of your bank
2 special small team of the bank is in charge to parameter the software
3 99% of the employees of the bank never heard of Crs/Aeoi, nor about internal software to report.

Some banks located in “grey or small juridictions” and under pressure with their local Gov. report over the limits to show good proof to the “white juridictions” that they comply meticulously.