Our valued sponsor

Is there a public SWIFT routing table?

Marie Manila

Pro Member
Oct 20, 2019
Visit site
I was wondering how transactions are processed in the SWIFT (and also in the SEPA) system.

After watching this talk, I got a quite good idea, how SWIFT payments are working: https://media.ccc.de/v/33c3-8315-a_world_without_blockchain

At 18:10 he shows the routing table for SWIFT payments as of 1987.
It was called "The Bankers' Almanac".

After searing on Google I could find the Bankers Alamnac on this website: Accuity | Data & software to control financial risk, compliance & payments
Unfortunately there is a login required and I could not find any way to sign up. I think it may be limited to banks only.
Nevertheless, maybe anybody knows another way to find the routing table.

My first question is especially:
If I send let's say Australian Dollar from HSBC Singapore to EPB in Puerto Rico, which banks will be involved for this transaction?
Is there any possibility to get this information apart of looking for the correspondence banks on the EPB website?
Many banks do not publish their correspondence relationships.
That may be very interesting, if you try to transfer money offshore, but the money might pass through your home country.

The second thing, which is not clear for me:
If I do SEPA transactions, it is quite different.
The banks usually are working with clearing companies for payments less than 50.000 €.
As far as I can see: Usually every SEPA member has a local clearer and there is the STEP2 clearer for international payments.
So, if I transfer money from BGL BNP Paribas in Luxembourg to Banque Raiffeisen in Luxembourg, will the payment go through the the domestic clearing (Banque centrale du Luxembourg) only?
Or will STEP2 be involved, too?

Am I right, if I say for a transfer from BGL BNP Paribas in Luxembourg to Mistertango in Lithuania, the money (or at least the records) will take this way:
BGL BNP Paribas -> Banque centrale du Luxembourg -> STEP2 -> Bank of Lithuania -> Mistertango

What is the case for SEPA-payments over 50.000 €?

Does anyone have a few insights and can enlighten me?

Nevertheless, maybe anybody knows another way to find the routing table.

All swift routing instructions are available in Swift SSI Plus database file. In it you can see for every bank in the world their settlement account numbers, routing etc for each currency and their correspondence banks used just off the BIC alone. You need to be a swift member and then you can access SSI Plus database or ask a friend who has access to this routing table ;).

Am I right, if I say for a transfer from BGL BNP Paribas in Luxembourg to Mistertango in Lithuania, the money (or at least the records) will take this way:
BGL BNP Paribas -> Banque centrale du Luxembourg -> STEP2 -> Bank of Lithuania -> Mistertango

You can check if BGL BNP is a TARGET2 direct participant online which it is so it has direct euro clearing. Mistertango uses its local central bank to clear euro payments where it holds an account. So just remove Lux central bank from flow I think.

Thanks a lot for your replay, @Martin Everson.

All swift routing instructions are available in Swift SSI Plus database file. In it you can see for every bank in the world their settlement account numbers, routing etc for each currency and their correspondence banks used just off the BIC alone. You need to be a swift member and then you can access SSI Plus database
For the SSI Plus database file I hoped there was a public database/download or a free access somewhere. ;)

You can check if BGL BNP is a TARGET2 direct participant online which it is so it has direct euro clearing. Mistertango uses its local central bank to clear euro payments where it holds an account. So just remove Lux central bank from flow I think.
Ok, this comes clear now. But what is the role of central banks here?
Would they be involved, if I make a domestic transfer (like from BGL BNP Luxembourg to Post Luxembourg)?
Or will domestic transfers also route via STEP2?

What will be the case for amounts higher than 50.000 €?
I think the clearing process only support amounts up to 50.000 €.
Are transfers over 50.000 € more expensive for the banks? Are they faster, because they are not limited to the payment cycles of the clearers?

For the SSI Plus database file I hoped there was a public database/download or a free access somewhere.

lol..then SWIFT would not have a business as that's what they sell.

But what is the role of central banks here?

The Eurozone countries central banks ceded control to the ECB. Being part of the euro means local central banks powers are totally curtailed. Local central banks are meaningless under the eurozone system. They can just regulate stuff that is not already covered by ECB or issue local bonds etc and pretend they matter. Local central banks in eurozone are nothing more than local supervisors. Its ECB who ultimately approves new banks in Eurozone and can also revoke their license etc. ECB calls the shots.

Would they be involved, if I make a domestic transfer (like from BGL BNP Luxembourg to Post Luxembourg)?

They just watch the money go back and forth like a spectator watching a rally in a game of tennis.

What will be the case for amounts higher than 50.000 €?
I think the clearing process only support amounts up to 50.000 €.
Are transfers over 50.000 € more expensive for the banks? Are they faster, because they are not limited to the payment cycles of the clearers?

The pricing you can find below its dirt cheap. See pages 5-7

After reading it go back to your question.

Latest Threads