Our valued sponsor

Limitation Period For Collections Of Tax Debt By Country

pixbix

Jul 6, 2022
Romania
Visit site
Does anyone know a list of countries by limitation period for collection of taxes

I know in Canada the term is 10 years, in USA never, Romania 5 , are there countries even better 1 year, 2 years, or even worse?

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's take Canada as an example. It's correct that tax debts have a limit of up to 10 years. However, this can be extended in certain circumstances. It is also not guaranteed that the tax debt goes away after 10 years or however long it actually ends up being.

So I'm not sure these limits mean what you want them to mean. You need to look further than just the initial limitation. There are almost always ways for tax authorities to extend the debt period.

I think if they couldn't catch you in 10 years, then you owe them nothing even if they find out. I wanted to know the limitation period of others countries.

In Germany it's only 4 years, but they want to extend it to 10 years ...

The thing is you can keep in some countries your bitcoins/crypto for 4-5 years, after they can't do anything for you. Of course, unless they can prove in front of a judge you gained it from some illegal activities. But that's hardened for them as they need to prove against any doubt you are guilty