Our valued sponsor

Liquidated company in HK and debt collectors ?

OffshoreJJ

Jul 12, 2020
Visit site
Hello,

I liquidated my company in Hong Kong, now there is a debt collection agency that came forward to my emails with an unpaid invoice of almost 10K USD.

I'm safe considering the company was liquidated or they can go after me anyway ? Like going after me personally or after my other businesses ?

Thanks

Hello,

I liquidated my company in Hong Kong, now there is a debt collection agency that came forward to my emails with an unpaid invoice of almost 10K USD.

I'm safe considering the company was liquidated or they can go after me anyway ? Like going after me personally or after my other businesses ?

Thanks
I'm more or less in this business and it depends on lots of factors and how determined they are on getting you, like where you live, where are your other companies located, do you have factories/offices in HK? do you still maintain banking relationship with HK banks?

If you cut all your ties with HK, it's very unlikely that they will do anything, as any extra effort is a waste for this amount of money. So, unless the money is at least in the low to medium six figures, no one is going to go after you.

a piece of advice, If you have the money, just pay it, because this could affect your financial standing with HK authorities/ financial institutions, and it would affect you if you are willing to do any kind of work in HK in the future.

Hi,

Thanks. I don't have anything left in Hong Kong and I don't live there.

This company was liquidated in 2017 but the invoice from the debt collector is from 2020.
I think that I paid the invoices until 2019 from my personal account as the company was liquidated, I was trying to open a new company to update all the contracts but since 2018 it was really difficult to get any bank account anywhere. In 2020 I decided to completely stop trying and that service provider is now asking for their payment.

Do you think it's an issue ?

Do you think it's an issue ?
It's only an issue if you are going to do any business in the future in HK, since the people you are indebted to will 100% file a complaint against you and your company to the Companies registry. and they may take a legal action, no I take that back, there is a strong chance that they could take a legal action but they may try and schedule a meeting with you first, since legal action is usually seen as a last resort in these type of cases.

If you do not pay right now, then their next course of action will be to try and bring you to the table and negotiate with you (this is where you should really consider sitting with them and schedule a meeting through your lawyer and and you may able to have a good payment plan and you may simple be able to extend your debt payment)

If you ignored them, then a legal action is to be taken, then for this amount, you case will be taken to the district court and this will be a lengthy process and will take some time.

but keep in mind that in this phase, your options of getting a visa in HK will be troublesome if the immigration department decided to f**k with you, they usually let these cases slide and for non-serious offences you will be able to travel freely in and out of HK, but make no mistake, NOW you give them a reason to look into you if they decided to f**k with you so you have to keep that in mind.

So to summarize, schedule a meeting with them through your lawyer, reach a payment plan and pay your debts, if not, well....good luck!