Our valued sponsor

Made a HUGE mistake in my life, Need Serious Advice (long post warning)

So, yes...if you had parents who warned you about these things (I didn't - the Southern Europeans were all about "family"), you can easily escape becoming a target. On the other hand, I did have Northern Europeans as neighbors who REALLY warned me and told me my parents were COMPLETELY wrong, so due to these Northern Europeans, I was able to avoid life's disasters.
Something similar almost happened with me too, a "friend" tried to convince me about doing some company thing, thankfully my father protected me so I could avoid the trap, my friend wasn't that lucky.

I don't understand some of the comments here, if OP is telling us the truth he did nothing morally wrong, so we have to help him.
All he did was being gullible and stupid, but who wasn't as young, especially if a family member or a friend wants you to do something.
I was lucky but I know many young and poor people who weren't.
PS. I was born and grew up on a Northern European colonial island
You mentioned this place many times on this forum before, now I'm curious haha, would you mind share the name of which island is that, or if you don't want here than in private message?
although I did have the elderly (Northern Europeans) on the island warn me that America is NOT "the good/angelic place" they portrayed in Hollywood...and neither was the world!
True

Life is a wave with its ups and downs, just see this as a lesson and move on.

Take it easy, how you are acting and panicking now is worse than being in jail. Accept things as they come and handle them in a calm way, in the end this is just an experience in life.. one of the many.
True

Yes I do speak Mandarin, and Cantonese. I'm wondering though what happens if my current passport expires prior to obtaining the citizenship?

Am doing work online to accumulate capital, regardless of what I choose to do I'm gonna need it.
I'm not sure, if you get residency in Europe I think you can go to the embassy and ask to renew your passport there.

If you share your email or telegram username here I can save your contact, in the future I might have some Web design or Chinese translation job for you, thats all I can help. Just leave it here for a few minutes than you can delete it.

Reactions: bingbong and jafo

Backstory

Okay here goes, hi guys so I'm in a bit of a situation and would appreciate any input at this point. It's a bit long but I want to give you the entire story.

If you don't want to spend too much time reading just skip to the "TLDR : Course of Action" section at the end.

I'm from South East Asia by the way, (one of the more developed countries there) - it should be relevant for context.

So what happened was I was running an ecommerce business a couple of years ago when covid hit and it was doing amazing, until it wasn't.

Long story short we racked up a bunch of debt (suppliers mainly, and a few employees) on the business and I put everything I had personally (including my house!) to salvage the whole thing and to pay everyone.

And in my desperation, I reached out to a "friend", let's call him Andy - who I knew had money but wasn't too sure what he was doing. I asked him for a loan.

He declined, quoting his "principles" in not lending money to friends, but said he had another avenue for me to get cash fast.

The stupid mistake

Andy introduced me to the concept of "Nominee Services", where people who are ineligible for bank accounts or would like some anonymity would use bank accounts in a "nominee's" name.

I had a bad feeling about this as I heard about money mules and what happens but somehow he managed to convince me that this was different and legitimate (plus my desperation at the time).

I ended up giving him access to not one, but FIVE of my personal bank accounts as he paid per account. *YES I KNOW I was an idiot for doing this!

I did get my regular bank statements and looked through them, but didn't think much of them as the payment reference were all about "business" and it all looked pretty legit.

I got the cash and went about my business, managed to turn the business around. About a year elapsed with no issues. Happy days, no harm no foul - so I thought.

The horror begins

One fine night, we (my family and I) got a knock on the door, it was the police, requesting that I follow them to the station to assist with an investigation.

This being my first run-in with the law, I didn't even think of contacting a lawyer, I thought that was only for court hearings.

The Case Officer that was in charge of investigating my case briefed me on what happened and basically the 5 accounts that I gave Andy were used for SCAMS!

Scams ranging from investment scams, car plate scams (basically selling non-existent fancy car plate numbers), crypto scams, and more.

I provided all the pertinent evidence related to Andy and everything to prove I wasn't involved in the scam but it didn't matter because I was charged for lending the account, not the scams.
Andy on the other hand, unexpectedly, was un-contactable and is nowhere to be found in his residence.

The officer re-assured me that this was a minor offence and charged me under a minor Section, and told me to plead guilty in court and pay a $1000 fine.

It was nighttime so I spent the night in a lockup and went to court the following morning. Again, first run-in with the law, didn't think of getting a lawyer, represented myself. Pled guilty, paid the fine. Went home.

A few days after the court hearing, I received letters from ALL of my banks, saying that they will be no longer be providing me with services and I had to collect my cash or a cashiers check at the branch.

One of my bankers said that I had officially been blacklisted by the national bank and all banks in the country (not just the bank account that was involved in the scam) will shut my account. Not just my personal accounts, my LIMITED LIABILITY corporate accounts were shut down.

It Continues

After a couple of months, the police came AGAIN - this time a Case officer from another state, I had to follow them all the way across the country back to the station.

Apparently, there were many more victims of Andy's and each individual victim's complaints counts as ONE case. So if Andy had scammed 50 people, I would have to give my statement in 50 different police stations under 50 different Case Officers and go to court 50 times. And crazy enough there were actually 50+ cases under my name!

(And maybe MORE that we don't know about, matter of time before the victims find out they've been scammed and start filing complaints.)

YES - in my country, you can get charged for the same crime over and over again and there's no way to lump all victims and pay it off in one charge.

I thought to myself there's no way in hell I'm getting handcuffed again and hauled to court 50 times! So I paid off the police officer (yes, bribes are very common here) and he let me go. He didn't drop the case because he couldn't , there's a complainer (the victim) on the other side, so I was basically just buying time.

Sure enough officers from different states came every single week and we paid them off every single time just to be left alone!

Until one day we had enough. I decided to face it head on. Followed the officer back to the station, and the next day was brought to court.

PRISON

But this time, something was different. The charge read to me by the plaintiff sounded a bit different, she mentioned something about jailtime AND/OR a fine.

Apparently, the plaintiff (or something like that) can recommended a stronger charge than the one filed by the Case officer if the victim's losses are substantial!

In the absence of a lawyer and following the advice of the officer the previous night, I pled guilty and opted for a fine.

To my absolute shock, the judge practiced her "DISCRETION" to sentence me to a fine PLUS 80 days in prison!

I broke down in tears and didn't know what to do, I didn't know that I could request a re-hearing or even to plead not guilty etc...

After the sentencing I asked whether I could take it back and plead not guilty, she said NO the only thing I can do now is get a lawyer to file an APPEAL for another hearing on the case.

So I was hauled to prison and suffered for 80 days in what is truly Hell on earth. I don't want to make this longer than it already is by describing what it's like in a South East Asian's country's jail but it's bad. Just watch documentaries of it on Youtube and you'll get an idea, completely accurate.

Anyways, the lawyer came for a visit after the mandatory 2-weeks lockdown in horrible isolation cells - and he advised against an appeal as the courts are so full that by the time I get my hearing, it'd be towards the end of my sentence already. So I had to serve the full 80 days.

THE ESCAPE

After I was out of prison I thought they'd drop the cases as I already served my sentence but NOPE the other 40+ officers continued to come as usual.

I decided that enough is enough. I'm NEVER going to be in another pair of handcuffs, another police station, another court, another jail/prison.

Especially for crimes that I didn't commit! (Yes I did stupidly give access to my account, but the perpetrators are scott-free and I'm perpetually paying for crimes against victims whom I gained nothing out of!)

I decided to leave the country. Funnily enough my travel status was clear, as I didn't have outstanding charges from the court against me (an old one I paid the fine for, another I went to prison for, and 40+ more officers looking for me to record a statement before they charged me. So technically I wasn't Wanted. Not yet anyway.

The Situation Now

I renewed my passport for a maximum of 5 years (was surprised they allowed me), and just left for a neighbouring country, and am now a perpetual traveler.

But here's the thing. It's only a matter of time before :

1.) The cops know I've escaped and put me on Wanted in my country and my travel status is barred... Which is not an issue as long as I don't go back to my home country and just be a perpetual traveler... I don't think (TOUCH ON WOOD) they'll put me on Interpol as it's a minor offence...

But eventually :

2.) My passport expires and I'll be unable to hop country to country (About 4+ years remaining) and I'll be forced back to my home country and we all know what that entails.

TLDR : Course of Action

What's done is done and I can't undo the past. What I'm doing now is freelancing as a web designer to fund my travels and daily expenses, and hopping from one country to another every 30 days (or whatever the country permits at a time)

I'm freelancing for clients who are willing to pay in crypto, then selling that to local sellers who pay in cash. In the meantime I've been able to incorporate a UK LTD where I got EMIs for payments - so that solves the bank account issue.

My biggest concern is the passport expiring. I have less than 5 years before I'll be stuck and in deep trouble, so I need to start planning and work towards something.

I have explored many Citizenship By Investment programs like the St. Lucia 100k investment (which I can save up for if I keep my freelancing up) where at least I can get a passport and go from there.

BUT a major obstacle that I see is that in all the documents list for CBI countries, there's always a Letter of Good Standing (or similar) requirement that basically certifies you don't have a criminal record, which obviously at this point I have, since I've been to not just jail, but also prison. And the governments will also do their due diligence.

Do you guys have any suggestions for me at this point?

MISC :

THANK YOU so much for your precious time in reading this long post.
Obviously I made these mistakes because I was dumb and desperate, but here are 10 things I learned so far (and hope some readers of this forum will take to heart)

1.) NEVER listen to the police. They just want to close cases and rise up the ranks - they do NOT have your best interest at heart!

2.) NEVER EVER become a bank "Nominee" no matter how legit or safe they make it sound

3.) NEVER plead guilty to a charge if you don't fully understand the implications

4.) NEVER blindly believe what someone says. Trust but verify!

5.) NEVER give up - keep fighting!

6.) ALWAYS have a lawyer on standby and NEVER give a police statement without him/her

7.) ALWAYS separate your business and personal finances. If the business fails it fails, don't ruin your personal life over it!

8.) ALWAYS find a way to stay alive! In the dark depths of prison I prayed every day (I was an atheist before this lol)

9.) ALWAYS appreciate your family. They're the ones that will be there for you when the world falls apart.

10.) ALWAYS educate yourself in all aspects of life. This would never have happened if I knew more about law and finance.
Here's a list of Youtube videos about places you can get residency without a criminal record check. I didn't watch them but maybe there's one country where you can apply for citizenship or PR after a short residency. Sometimes PR cards let you access a lot of different places e.g. MERCOSUR

Reactions: jafo and bingbong
Here's a list of Youtube videos about places you can get residency without a criminal record check. I didn't watch them but maybe there's one country where you can apply for citizenship or PR after a short residency. Sometimes PR cards let you access a lot of different places e.g. MERCOSUR
Thanks for sharing! Watching some of the videos, pretty useful! I'm seeing LATAM countries as a recurring theme in my searches.

Can you legally renounce your citizenship?

I think, if you acquire a Caribbean passport and renounce your original passport and citizenship, the Caribbean country is not allowed to revoke that CBI citizenship.
Hi Marie, yes - as of now I still can (renounce)

The hard part is getting that CBI citizenship as the ones I've researched thus far all require an Original Police Clearance letter from the home country.

Still researching every day though, hope to find something!

Hi Marie, yes - as of now I still can (renounce)

The hard part is getting that CBI citizenship as the ones I've researched thus far all require an Original Police Clearance letter from the home country.

Still researching every day though, hope to find something!
If you resign from abroad you can become a stateless person. This can solve part of the problem. The country you’re currently staying in must allow it though.

If you resign from abroad you can become a stateless person. This can solve part of the problem. The country you’re currently staying in must allow it though.
Will look into this.

Hypothetically speaking, it kinda has to be done abroad right? If one does it from their home country - How does he/she travel out of the country having given up the passport?

Reactions: jafo
Long time lurker, first time poster: but just registered to write this to OP. It is the message I would have wanted my own younger self to read, had anyone been kind enough to write it to me decades ago.

I was once in your shoes. I was forced through the wringer but came out clean. Back in the bad old days, I got caught up in someone else's mess -- and when the government couldn't find who did it, they turned their guns on me. They wanted to put someone behind bars and it seemed they didn't much care who it was as long as someone paid the price.

Like you, I was prepared to play along in the beginning because I wanted to clear my name. But the more I tried, the harder it became to get any justice. I faced a rigged game where the powers-that-be held the power, and after a year of trying everything, eventually the only realistic choice was to just reboot. I had to start over somewhere else. A new life, fresh beginnings.

When you do that, you must cut ties to the old. You want to build a solid life in your new country in such a way that you can't be sent back to face the music. First, that means staying under the radar. But you also want to secure a situation where IF you get found and caught, you can't be shipped back to your home country against your will.

In some countries it isn't all that hard to stay under the radar for years. Once you work out the logistics, just keep your head down and do what you'd otherwise do at home: work to survive and work to thrive.

If it fails and you're located, the dangers are: deportation, expulsion and extradition.

Deportation can be avoided by being a legal resident, but digital nomads and PTs often aren't. Legal residents are on the radar, in the system. In my case, I stayed illegal for years. Find a country where being illegal isn't a crime but merely an administrative infraction. Or one where things like marriage to a local or having a local child will halt deportation proceedings.

Expulsion can also be avoided. Just live clean. Don't get caught breaking laws in your new country of residence. (Think twice before using a fake name with local authorities: That's often a crime and even minor crimes can lead to a conviction, which in turn leads to expulsion and a forced flight back home.)

Extradition can be harder to avoid, so plan ahead for that eventuality when choosing your new country. First, a crime has to be a crime in both countries for extradition to be approved. If being a money mule isn't in the penal code of your new country, you're good to stay. Second, the local statute of limitations works to your benefit even when there's no statute of limitations on crimes in your home country. When (not if) the case gets too old under the rules of your new country, extradition won't be granted. The devil is in the details, so do your homework and get competent local advice. Third, often countries don't extradite for minor crimes. If local law considers your crime to not merit anything above -- for instance -- two years of prison time, extradition isn't granted. And finally, if in spite of all this you somehow get caught in a spot where neither situation applies, there's also a chance that you'll be able to beat extradition on the merit of the case itself. But this if iffy: Not all countries will actually review the particulars of the charges, as they follow a mixed system (known as the "Belgian" rule) whereby any such evaluation falls exclusively under the purview of the requesting country.

Bottom line here is: You have options. Lots of them. The downside of being in this situation is that you must cut ties to your old life and now start a new one (although sometimes that can turn out to be a blessing in disguise.)

You've got two hundred places in the world to find your freedom. I went to South America and it worked for me. Others went elsewhere and it worked for them, too.

You can beat this thing and come out fresh on the other side, fresh and clean, and no longer a wanted man.

Last edited:
Long time lurker, first time poster: but just registered to write this to OP. It is the message I would have wanted my own younger self to read, had anyone been kind enough to write it to me decades ago.

I was once in your shoes. I was forced through the wringer but came out clean. Back in the bad old days, I got caught up in someone else's mess -- and when the government couldn't find who did it, they turned their guns on me. They wanted to put someone behind bars and it seemed they didn't much care who it was as long as someone paid the price.

Like you, I was prepared to play along in the beginning because I wanted to clear my name. But the more I tried, the harder it became to get any justice. I faced a rigged game where the powers-that-be held the power, and after a year of trying everything, eventually the only realistic choice was to just reboot. I had to start over somewhere else. A new life, fresh beginnings.

When you do that, you must cut ties to the old. You want to build a solid life in your new country in such a way that you can't be sent back to face the music. First, that means staying under the radar. But you also want to secure a situation where IF you get found and caught, you can't be shipped back to your home country against your will.

In some countries it isn't all that hard to stay under the radar for years. Once you work out the logistics, just keep your head down and do what you'd otherwise do at home: work to survive and work to thrive.

If it fails and you're located, the dangers are: deportation, expulsion and extradition.

Deportation can be avoided by being a legal resident, but digital nomads and PTs often aren't. Legal residents are on the radar, in the system. In my case, I stayed illegal for years. Find a country where being illegal isn't a crime but merely an administrative infraction. Or one where things like marriage to a local or having a local child will halt deportation proceedings.

Expulsion can also be avoided. Just live clean. Don't get caught breaking laws in your new country of residence. (Think twice before using a fake name with local authorities: That's often a crime and even minor crimes can lead to a conviction, which in turn leads to expulsion and a forced flight back home.)

Extradition can be harder to avoid, so plan ahead for that eventuality when choosing your new country. First, a crime has to be a crime in both countries for extradition to be approved. If being a money mule isn't in the penal code of your new country, you're good to stay. Second, the local statute of limitations works to your benefit even when there's no statute of limitations on crimes in your home country. When (not if) the case gets too old under the rules of your new country, extradition won't be granted. The devil is in the details, so do your homework and get competent local advice. Third, often countries don't extradite for minor crimes. If local law considers your crime to not merit anything above -- for instance -- two years of prison time, extradition isn't granted. And finally, if in spite of all this you somehow get caught in a spot where neither situation applies for you, there's also a chance that you'll be able to beat extradition on the merit of the case itself. But this if iffy: Not all countries will actually review the particulars of the charges, as they follow a mixed system (known as the "Belgian" rule) whereby any such evaluation falls exclusively under the purview of the requesting country.

Bottom line here is: You have options. Lots of them. The downside of being in this situation is that you must cut ties to your old life and now start a new one (although sometimes that can turn out to be a blessing in disguise.)

You've got two hundred places in the world to find your freedom. I went to South America and it worked for me. Others went elsewhere and it worked for them, too.

You can beat this thing and come out fresh on the other side, fresh and clean, and no longer a wanted man.
OP, this gentleman has battle-scarred experience! It's obvious! Follow his advice and read it over and over again. Like he said, the Devil is in the details. He went to the right place.
You speak Mandarin, English, etc so in an area like e.g. Latin America, you are a "rare prized fighter" ;)

Extradition can be harder to avoid, so plan ahead for that eventuality when choosing your new country. First, a crime has to be a crime in both countries for extradition to be approved. If being a money mule isn't in the penal code of your new country, you're good to stay. Second, the local statute of limitations works to your benefit even when there's no statute of limitations on crimes in your home country. When (not if) the case gets too old under the rules of your new country, extradition won't be granted. The devil is in the details, so do your homework and get competent local advice. Third, often countries don't extradite for minor crimes. If local law considers your crime to not merit anything above -- for instance -- two years of prison time, extradition isn't granted. And finally, if in spite of all this you somehow get caught in a spot where neither situation applies, there's also a chance that you'll be able to beat extradition on the merit of the case itself. But this if iffy: Not all countries will actually review the particulars of the charges, as they follow a mixed system (known as the "Belgian" rule) whereby any such evaluation falls exclusively under the purview of the requesting country.

Hello Jackson, thank you very much for creating an account just to reply to this thread. I've been blown away by the response from fellow forum members. Was not what I was expecting at all. People from all walks of life giving their take on the situation, which has given me ideas and directions I didn't even know was possible. To be frank I was at a very desperate time when I posted the thread but I'm starting to see a bit of hope.

Alright, so I've read your post - and understand that you too have been a similar position. So you know how bad prison is and why I'd want to avoid even the most unlikely scenario where I'd have a tiny chance of ending up there again.

Would you mind if I ask what region of the world you were from (just roughly)? for context.

If I understand correctly, what you did was lay low, drag it out and ultimately - did you manage to get citizenship in another country?

I'm pretty confident being able to get residency right now at this point of time, it's just what happens when the passport expires. Hence my frantic search for a path for citizenship somewhere. I have about 4 years to go till my passport expires.

Right now I'm being extra careful not to overstay (That would be bad) as I haven't found the place that I would ultimately want to settle in, if it comes to that.

Since you have experience in South America, do you have specific suggestions on which country and how I should work towards that given the 4 year timeline?

And with this plan of action, would it mean being stuck to one country/region forever?

Really appreciate your insights by the way!

OP, this gentleman has battle-scarred experience! It's obvious! Follow his advice and read it over and over again. Like he said, the Devil is in the details. He went to the right place.
You speak Mandarin, English, etc so in an area like e.g. Latin America, you are a "rare prized fighter" ;)
Thanks, Jafo. Yeah LATAM seems to be a recurring theme here, will research more.

Taking it one day at a time - praying in the morning, working in the afternoon, and researching at night.

Glad my words could help a bit. I know how overwhelming it seems because I've been where you are. But I made it and so can you.

> Would you mind if I ask what region of the world you were from (just roughly)? for context.

I'm originally from the north of Europe.

> If I understand correctly, what you did was lay low, drag it out and ultimately - did you manage to get citizenship in another country?

Pretty much. After years of living under the radar, today I am back on the surface and no longer in any danger of being arrested for anything (no risk of deportation, expulsion or extradition either.)

Life under the radar wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Some options will be closed because you don't want to pop up on computer screens where you'll be found. But there's also freedom in starting fresh. You don't look back. You look to the future and make the new life you want for yourself, with a plan that brings light at the end of the tunnel.

> I'm pretty confident being able to get residency right now at this point of time

Initially, your race against the clock is your ability to travel. If you're ever wanted by Interpol, air travel is out of the question. You also want to be more careful with other types of travel (crossing land borders or moving by sea.)

> it's just what happens when the passport expires.

I lived for more than a decade with an expired passport. For that to work, it helped that was already settled in a spot where I could live and work. Once my passport expired, I could no longer travel, but also didn't need to (or want to) at the time. Short of crossing borders, I could still do what I needed with other documents and I had prepared for the passport expiration in advance by setting up the logistics I needed or a well-functioning life: work, income, real estate, friends, pleasure, etc.

> Right now I'm being extra careful not to overstay

I did the same at first, so I would still be able to travel until finding the country where I'd settle to wait out the clock.

I didn't overstay until after I was safe in a place where my particular situation meant that I could at least not be deported just for overstaying or for lack of valid documents (it still left open the risks of expulsion and extradition, to be dealt with as separate issues.)

Once I had the risk of deportation under control, I felt free to overstay even though it technically made me illegal. By laying low and flying under the radar, I improved my long term chances of beating extradition -- the only other serious risk that I faced at the time.

> Since you have experience in South America, do you have specific suggestions on which country and how I should work towards that given the 4 year timeline?

Specific suggestions are tricky because this is truly a situation where, like I said, the devil is in the details. Your freedom can hinge on a comma in some old law.

Contributors in this thread already mentioned Latin America. I'm in Brazil. If you want a new friend and a helpful hand, you're welcome here. I know of others who made it work in next-door Paraguay and Bolivia. Uruguay is safe and has a predictable judiciary, should it ever come to that. Argentina is known for its short statute of limitations, even for serious charges. The same holds for Venezuela, where (unlike Brazil) it is possible to actually beat an extradition case on its merits, but where the courts can no longer be trusted to follow the law over political expediency.

> And with this plan of action, would it mean being stuck to one country/region forever?

"Forever" is a long time. But if there's no statute of limitations on crimes in your home country, and they won't drop the charges eventually, you theoretically risk becoming a party to extradition proceedings in any new country you enter. The more time passes, the easier it will be to beat them in country after country, so eventually most of the world will open back up for you again. The easier option is to stay put where you're happy and secure -- and if you have to travel elsewhere, only go where you know the ground is safe.

Last edited:
Glad my words could help a bit. I know how overwhelming it seems because I've been where you are. But I made it and so can you.

> Would you mind if I ask what region of the world you were from (just roughly)? for context.

I'm originally from the north of Europe.

> If I understand correctly, what you did was lay low, drag it out and ultimately - did you manage to get citizenship in another country?

Pretty much. After years of living under the radar, today I am back on the surface and no longer in any danger of being arrested for anything (no risk of deportation, expulsion or extradition either.)

Life under the radar wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Some options will be closed because you don't want to pop up on computer screens where you'll be found. But there's also freedom in starting fresh. You don't look back. You look to the future and make the new life you want for yourself, with a plan that brings light at the end of the tunnel.

> I'm pretty confident being able to get residency right now at this point of time

Initially, your race against the clock is your ability to travel. If you're ever wanted by Interpol, air travel is out of the question. You also want to be more careful with other types of travel (crossing land borders or moving by sea.)

> it's just what happens when the passport expires.

I lived for more than a decade with an expired passport. For that to work, it helped that was already settled in a spot where I could live and work. Once my passport expired, I could no longer travel, but also didn't need to (or want to) at the time. Short of crossing borders, I could still do what I needed with other documents and I had prepared for the passport expiration in advance by setting up the logistics I needed or a well-functioning life: work, income, real estate, friends, pleasure, etc.

> Right now I'm being extra careful not to overstay

I did the same at first, so I would still be able to travel until finding the country where I'd settle to wait out the clock.

I didn't overstay until after I was safe in a place where my particular situation meant that I could at least not be deported just for overstaying or for lack of valid documents (it still left open the risks of expulsion and extradition, to be dealt with as separate issues.)

Once I had the risk of deportation under control, I felt free to overstay even though it technically made me illegal. By laying low and flying under the radar, I improved my long term chances of beating extradition -- the only other serious risk that I faced at the time.

> Since you have experience in South America, do you have specific suggestions on which country and how I should work towards that given the 4 year timeline?

Specific suggestions are tricky because this is truly a situation where, like I said, the devil is in the details. Your freedom can hinge on a comma in some old law.

Contributors in this thread already mentioned Latin America. I'm in Brazil. If you want a new friend and a helpful hand, you're welcome here. I know of others who made it work in next-door Paraguay and Bolivia. Uruguay is safe and has a predictable judiciary, should it ever come to that. Argentina is known for its short statute of limitations, even for serious charges. The same holds for Venezuela, where (unlike Brazil) it is possible to actually beat an extradition case on its merits, but where the courts can no longer be trusted to follow the law over political expediency.

> And with this plan of action, would it mean being stuck to one country/region forever?

"Forever" is a long time. But if there's no statute of limitations on crimes in your home country, and they won't drop the charges eventually, you theoretically risk becoming a party to extradition proceedings in any new country you enter. The more time passes, the easier it will be to beat them in country after country, so eventually most of the world will open back up for you again. The easier option is to stay put where you're happy and secure -- and if you have to travel elsewhere, only go where you know the ground is safe.
Good morning sir - am at the airport right now as I write this, onto my next station. Meeting up with my family too!

I researched about Brazil by the way, I can go there and stay for up to 90-days, visa-free! Let me work for a few months more and accumulate some cash before coming to visit :) I need to be well prepared, it's a 24+ hour flight from where I am lol.

I do check daily on my home country's website, as long as the travel status remains unbarred it means I'm still not wanted, will check with my family whether they're still paying off the police which might explain it - but I do anticipate it turning red in the near future, bracing for the worst.

I've checked on some of the options you mentioned, Bolivia has a cheap residency by investment program at $30k, but requires background check. I did see a section on Brazil where it says : Clean criminal record OR proof of rehabilitation so might be something to work with there?

Appreciate your input thus far.

Safe travels. You are welcome here anytime, brother.

I do anticipate it turning red in the near future, bracing for the worst.

If that is in the cards, I'd move up my travel plans to sooner. Air travel is inadvisable once a red notice is issued.

There are different ways to satisfy the requirement of the criminal record and as you already researched yourself, they do accept alternative paperwork in lieu of a criminal record.

Another contributor to this thread always lived by the saying: "Give them the papers they want, and they'll give you the papers you want."

Seriously consider Argentina. To get citizenship you need 2 years of residence so it fits your situation. Or you can have a kid there and maybe that fits too lol. We received loads of Russian pregnant women in the last years who came just to get the passport haha

The law says you need a clean criminal record certificate. But I'm pretty sure with the right lawyer this can be avoided or faked.

Plus pretty much half the economy doesn't pay any taxes (they are crazy) so you won't have any problems moving in cash. Also, right now it's pretty cheap if you have USD income.

Safe travels. You are welcome here anytime, brother.

If that is in the cards, I'd move up my travel plans to sooner. Air travel is inadvisable once a red notice is issued.

There are different ways to satisfy the requirement of the criminal record and as you already researched yourself, they do accept alternative paperwork in lieu of a criminal record.

Another contributor to this thread always lived by the saying: "Give them the papers they want, and they'll give you the papers you want."
It's a race against time for sure. Just met up with family and everything's fine :)

Told them to stop paying off the police if they come again. We've paid the fine, bribes and jailtime - what more do they want...

Even war criminals and serial killers are charged and sentenced once in court for their collective crimes, not this 50 individual case nonsense.

If they want to put me on wanted so be it.

Seriously consider Argentina. To get citizenship you need 2 years of residence so it fits your situation. Or you can have a kid there and maybe that fits too lol. We received loads of Russian pregnant women in the last years who came just to get the passport haha

The law says you need a clean criminal record certificate. But I'm pretty sure with the right lawyer this can be avoided or faked.

Plus pretty much half the economy doesn't pay any taxes (they are crazy) so you won't have any problems moving in cash. Also, right now it's pretty cheap if you have USD income.
Solid advice. I, too, considered Argentina back when I faced OP's kind of challenge. If I had to do it over again, any of the Mercosur countries would be on my list -- with Argentina in the top 3 for sure. Having Doug Casey there is another plus.

With either marriage or childbirth, Brazilian citizenship can be obtained after merely 1 year of residence rather than the usual 4. Just don't cut it TOO short: A Russian arrived in January last year, had a kid in March, got permanent residency in April, then applied for citizenship the following January. It was refused because the 1 year clock only began after he legally became a resident (April), not upon his arrival (January).

Applicant's passport has to still be valid at the time of filing. Expiry before citizenship is formally granted isn't an impediment and won't derail the process.

Hi Darkred, thanks for replying to thread. I read u on Argentina and it seems that it might actually fit the bill, and the 2-years thing is correct!

How's the business environment there? If say I were to incorporate for my design business and run it there, physically.

Latest Threads