Our valued sponsor

Malta's BOV still searching for a new USD correspondent Bank?

Martin Everson

Offshore Retiree
Jan 2, 2018
Visit site
Maybe ending the blowing up of journalists reporting on government corruption will help them......im just saying :rolleyes:. Even some tiny caribbean islands have USD correspondance bank relationships but the biggest bank in Malta an EU country is struggling to find one. Worse case they can always use Euro Pacific Bank rof/%. However I am sure they must have one by now hopefully.

----quote start

28 October 2019, 10:02am
by Massimo Costa

BOV’s last remaining US dollar correspondent bank, ING, due to terminate services in December, but bank says work to make alternative arrangements has progressed

Bank of Valletta has said that its efforts to find alternative US dollar clearing arrangements have progressed, despite the inherent difficulties caused by Malta’s small size.

BOV said it had evaluated “a number of options” and the work to establish new alternative correspondent arrangements was “progressing well.”

In an interim directors' statement on Monday, BOV said this was being achieved “despite the challenges that smaller jurisdictions, like Malta, face since they lack the critical mass which would attract the larger players.”

The bank said it would become a direct SEPA participant on 19 November 2019.

In June, ING - BOV’s last USD correspondent bank - said it would be terminating its services to the Maltese bank on December 14.
ING’s decision came after the Dutch bank embarked on a de-risking strategy since being fined €775 million last September, following its
admission that criminals laundered money through its accounts.

At the time, BOV said it had intensified its efforts to engage alternative correspondents to “minimise any possible operational disruption to its business and its clients”.

Deutsche Bank had terminated its USD correspondent banking relationship with BOV over two years ago.

Q3 July to September financial performance in line with expectations

BOV said its financial performance for the third quarter of the current financial year was broadly in line with expectations.

----end quote

Credit:

BOV's efforts to make new USD correspondent banking arrangements ‘progressing well’

Terrible end year for Malta and its' banks. If they found a new correspondent bank, there should be something in the news, unless reporters are too busy reporting on the government high profile scandal.

Looks like they have found Raiffeisen in Austria judging by their USD correspondence bank they have on their website now.

Still very bad for BOV and shameful that no bank other than this Austrian bank is willing to offer you USD ability.....lol. To put it in perspective the Afghanistan International Bank has USD ability via Standard Chartered Bank in N.Y :confused:. Now here is BOV in Malta an EU country having to nest USD wires via an Austrian bank which will then go via a New York bank to get access to USD...lol.

What's your opinion about BOV if one does not need any USD account nor has any transfers in USD but EURO only?

What's your opinion about BOV if one does not need any USD account nor has any transfers in USD but EURO only?

I wouldn''t touch Maltese banks. Just take one look at BOV's mobile banking app and you will see the quality of bank you will be dealing with. They get hacked and they say nothing immediately to customers....jokers. I stopped banking with them before even collapse of Nemea bank, Pilatus Bank and Satabank and have ditched now even MeDirect.

I have zero confidence in Malta financial sector in general.

Last edited:
I wouldn''t touch Maltese banks. Just take one look at BOV's mobile banking app and you will see the quality of bank you will be dealing with. They get hacked and they say nothing immediately to customers....jokers. I stopped banking with them before even collapse of Nemea bank, Pilatus Bank and Satabank and have ditched now even MeDirect.

Oh s**t Nemea... I still rememer that Saga...

Thank you, that's pretty interesting. I will take your advice and don't move forward while I stay there at the moment and until tomorrow ;)

Thank you, that's pretty interesting. I will take your advice and don't move forward while I stay there at the moment and until tomorrow ;)

hehe enjoy the bad weather cig-:,.

Oh s**t Nemea... I still rememer that Saga...

Nemea bank was an Azerbaijan laundromat. Pilatus was an Iranian owned laundromat. Then Satabank a Bulgarian owned Russian laundromat damn_(.

You can't make it all up about Malta banks if you tried....lol.

I have been banking with them for 8 years both on personal and corporate level. Frankly speaking I have never had problems with them. I would pick BOV over any Cyprus bank if those are considered. Although I have to say Bank of Cyprus online banking beats hands down BOV, which has rather very minimalistic approach. But I still trust Malta more than Cyprus. Some annoyances of corporate online banking are daily limits of €70,000, so if one need to transfer higher amount, it needs to be broken over few days or you can apply for permanent limit increase. It's possible but requires some paperwork. Everything requires a paperwork. In any normal EU bank you can open fixed term deposit with a few mouse clicks, but not at BOV. They had not too bad interest rates 2.10% for 5 years (min €125,000) but they just slashed them few days back.

The new mobile token experience is absolutely the worst deployment I have seen across the several banks in the world. I hate using it and to make matter worse, you can no longer sign more than 5 transactions at once! Something that was possible with their old hard token device...

Until 2019 they have never questioned any incoming or outgoing transfer, although in the last months they have asked for some proof here and there to understand the source of income better, despite that money was flowing from these sources since the beginning of my relationship with them...

In terms of products and services, BOV is pretty good. Their mobile app was for a long time one of the best, but has now been surpassed by most half-decent EMIs and even some banks.

In terms of stability, I'd consider options. They have poor ratings, are heavily exposed to the ballooning real estate bubble that's going on in Malta, and were hacked not too long ago, losing 13 million EUR. On the other hand, it is 25% state-owned, most locals bank with BOV, and most government departments use BOV. If BOV were to truly fail, it would be at the mercy of the Maltese government.

It's very hard to open an account today, to the point where it's almost not worth the effort even for a normal, clean business or even a personal account. And once opened, it's getting hard to keep the account. They have years of compliance to catch up.