Our valued sponsor

Maltese citizenship through naturalization - non CBI an option?

Apologies if this is not the right forum, but, I don't know of another forum to ask this question.

I know Malta has one of the only CBI programs left after Cyprus canceled it's program several years ago. I think the financial requirements are around $500K USD closer to $1 million so it is not as cheap of an option as say the Caribbean like St. Lucia.

However, is it possible for a US citizen to move there and get citizenship through naturalization (i.e. living there 5 years) full or part time an option which would be cheaper or is the CBI option the only route for a non-Maltese US citizen to get citizenship there.

The same question would also apply Cyprus I suppose which requires being there 7 years on the ground.

Passportskr

In Malta, it's very difficult unless you are married to a Maltese person. People have lived in Malta for 5+ years and been denied citizenship with no cause given. Some are successful after trying again after a few years. The law might say 5 years, but reality is around 8 to 10 years, minimum.

Cyprus is similar to Malta. Most applicants aren't successful after just reaching the minimum.

Latest Threads