Our valued sponsor

Marketing restaurant takeaway website system

winning77

Nov 7, 2023
UK
Visit site
I develop and host a bespoke restaurant websites and online ordering systems which help to establish local restaurant, takeaway and kebab houses with a web presence.
  • Attracting a wider customer base and accommodate those who prefer to order online rather than in-person or over the phone.
  • Eliminate the need for telephone ordering and give customers access to your full menu online.
  • Websites are easy to integrate into the kitchen through a simple tablet screen.

The website support Cash and Automated Credit/Debit Card payments and payments can be processed via our accounts or in control of restaurant owner.

I would like some feedback and help as to how to proceed and reach out to restaurants in person. Local businesses are easy to scare and with only 5/6 potential businesses I need a game plan on how to approach the restaurant manager etc.

In person is definitely best because small local businesses don’t check their mail and I want to make a good first impression and generate leads.

Pick some restaurants you know that do well for takeaways but have no online ordering and set them up on it for free but agree a % for all orders placed via your booking system?
Any advice for the approach? I was going to go in shortly after they open and ask if the manager is available for a short conversation about a business opportunity.

I have a simple 2 page document which is very well written but not overwhelming, I can hand this off if they’re not available and if they are interested in talking to me about it I can talk them through the document on the spot and hopefully try to secure a lead or at least get contact information.

Would you be available for a further discussion yourself? I’d appreciate being able to talk my approach strategy through with somebody and show the system and get second opinions.

Any advice for the approach? I was going to go in shortly after they open and ask if the manager is available for a short conversation about a business opportunity.

I have a simple 2 page document which is very well written but not overwhelming, I can hand this off if they’re not available and if they are interested in talking to me about it I can talk them through the document on the spot and hopefully try to secure a lead or at least get contact information.

Would you be available for a further discussion yourself? I’d appreciate being able to talk my approach strategy through with somebody and show the system and get second opinions.
And what would be a appropriate %? Local businesses might not like the idea of a revenue share (despite being no risk for them).

Last edited:
Just go into places and speak to them? Say you can offer a website with built-in ordering for takeaways that is easy to integrate, and you want to offer it to them risk-free, they only pay for any orders generated. Show them a demo, not a document. No onboarding fee, no contract. If it works - then happy days, if it doesn't then no real loss other than a bit of time. Just make sure you have a good sense of who will be okay to work with (and likely to pay). You will probably only figure out that after working with someone who doesn't pay

I can look at it, but it's a long time since I did anything in the restaurant business. I used to help market one about ten years ago, but I have no experience with food online ordering and your UbertEats, Deliveroo, Glovo, Wolt, etc type offerings. Nor have I owned a restaurant. But I do use online food ordering, so obviously know what is easy to use / seamless.

The main thing for a restaurant owner is how easy it will work for them - order in, ticket printed for the kitchen, delivery or collection, payment etc.
And what would be a appropriate %? Local businesses might not like the idea of a revenue share (despite being no risk for them).
Deliveroo in the UK takes about 25-30% of net revenue. Most places seem to view them as a necessary evil. So, something that undercuts them but still makes it reasonably worthwhile for you?

Is there a place you eat often where your face is somewhat recognised by the people who work there that you could offer it to?

You need a front facing partner - someone who isn't purely sales but is self aware and gathers useful intelligence to analyze and improve the software. You have to understand this is a healthy 6 month minimum process of narrowing down what works and then honing that initial approach to being as effective as possible. I'm not in the UK or I'd consider getting involved, even if it was a side hustle. :) Good luck!

Just go into places and speak to them? Say you can offer a website with built-in ordering for takeaways that is easy to integrate, and you want to offer it to them risk-free, they only pay for any orders generated
You want to check sites like hungry and justeat both are similar to what you want to offer.

You want to check sites like hungry and justeat both are similar to what you want to offer.
Not really. Those examples are sites that list thousands of restaurants, and you order directly through their platform, and they take 20-30% of net revenue.

It will be more profitable for a restaurant to have their own ordering system via their own website. Many places have both - Deliveroo etc, and order via their website. The OP is offering the latter.

You need a front facing partner - someone who isn't purely sales but is self aware and gathers useful intelligence to analyze and improve the software. You have to understand this is a healthy 6 month minimum process of narrowing down what works and then honing that initial approach to being as effective as possible. I'm not in the UK or I'd consider getting involved, even if it was a side hustle. :) Good luck!
I'd say the last thing he needs is a front facing partner. Just go out there and see if you can get the thing working for a couple of restaurants

Not really. Those examples are sites that list thousands of restaurants, and you order directly through their platform, and they take 20-30% of net revenue.

It will be more profitable for a restaurant to have their own ordering system via their own website. Many places have both - Deliveroo etc, and order via their website. The OP is offering the latter.

I'd say the last thing he needs is a front facing partner. Just go out there and see if you can get the thing working for a couple of restaurants

Actually I agree with what you said, it will be invaluable to simply just go out and do this yourself. However, judging by what i've read so far, I still think he will benefit from having a front facing partner to promote/collect leads/feedback/procure extra value (eventually). It's quite a normal part of niche software development.

Reactions: winning77
Actually I agree with what you said, it will be invaluable to simply just go out and do this yourself. However, judging by what i've read so far, I still think he will benefit from having a front facing partner to promote/collect leads/feedback/procure extra value (eventually). It's quite a normal part of niche software development.

Despite not being from the UK you can still get involved. I am looking to deploy this globally.

It would probably help you sign them up if you offer in-built marketing tools for them, such as the ability to email their past customers with promotions, or SMS promotions etc, aswell as online ordering.

Currently have customer and menu analytics. What you mentioned was definitely in the plan and will be implemented today.
Thanks

no point doing this, unless there is also appropriate marketing efforts on behalf/or for restaurant. the key thing about ubereats deliveroo etcis their brand and their marketing efforts to bring in punters through the door. So its all nice and well having a snazzy system , but its the cloud of customers that these big boys can bring , what makes it compelling

Reactions: winning77
no point doing this, unless there is also appropriate marketing efforts on behalf/or for restaurant. the key thing about ubereats deliveroo etcis their brand and their marketing efforts to bring in punters through the door. So its all nice and well having a snazzy system , but its the cloud of customers that these big boys can bring , what makes it compelling
I agree that without marketing a website is pointless. It is easy after a month or two when the website is indexed since SEO competition is low in towns and small cities.

Customers should ideally be given a slip in their collection orders with website details, to let current customers know about the site.

In order to establish new business the restaurant owner should distribute leaflets through peoples mailboxes and provide information about the website, delivery service etc. This is something I could offer to the restaurant owner, as I don’t mind going around town posting thousands of leaflets if it means the restaurants website is a success.

But once previous customers and the people in town know about the website it would be a great success. People who order takeaway don’t want to spend their precious time (weekends and after work) driving/walking to, ordering, waiting and collecting their food when they can access the entire menu online and have someone bring it to them.

If it was my restaurant I would offer a special promotion on the leaflets such as £5 off pizza with coupon code for website orders, setting a maximum claims to 100 customers would be a good way to establish some business on the website and get customers flowing and familiar with making orders online.

Despite me knowing that it would be successful it is difficult to pitch all of this to a restaurant owner immediately without being overwhelming and then the lead turning cold. I need to establish a good and simple pitch which won’t be overwhelming and after successfully landing the job and getting them orders, I can begin the further promotional campaigns.

Reactions: polonieth