Our valued sponsor

Mexico Plans to Join BRICS Amid Growing Tensions with US

Martin Everson

Offshore Retiree
Jan 2, 2018
Visit site
Mexico thinking of joining the BRICS. US won't be happy about this....lol.

----- quote start

Mexico has expressed its interest in joining the BRICS group of emerging economies, which currently consists of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. The Mexican Foreign Minister, Marcelo Ebrard, said that Mexico shares the vision and values of the BRICS and hopes to deepen its cooperation with them in various fields, especially in medicine and trade.​

Mexico’s move comes amid growing tensions with its northern neighbor, the United States, over issues such as immigration, border security, trade and human rights. The US has imposed tariffs on Mexican goods, threatened to cut off aid and demanded that Mexico do more to stop the flow of migrants from Central America. Mexico has also faced criticism from the US for its handling of the Covid-19 pandemic and its alleged interference in the Venezuelan crisis.​

Mexico sees the BRICS as an alternative platform to diversify its foreign relations and increase its global influence. Mexico is the second-largest economy in Latin America after Brazil and has a population of more than 120 million people. It also has a strong manufacturing sector that competes with China in some markets. Mexico has already established close ties with China, which is its second-largest trading partner after the US. Mexico has also participated in several BRICS summits as an observer and guest.​

However, Mexico’s bid to join the BRICS faces some challenges and uncertainties. The BRICS group has not formally announced any criteria or process for admitting new members, although Russia has suggested that it could expand by five countries in 2023. The BRICS also have different interests and agendas that may not always align with Mexico’s. For instance, Mexico may have to balance its relations with China and India, which are rivals in Asia. Mexico may also have to deal with the possible backlash from the US, which may see Mexico’s alignment with the BRICS as a threat to its regional hegemony.​

The BRICS group was formed in 2009 as a way to challenge the dominance of the Western-led institutions such as the IMF and the World Bank. The BRICS have created their own development bank and contingency reserve fund to support their economic growth and stability. The BRICS also cooperate on various issues such as climate change, terrorism, health and education. The BRICS represent about 40% of the world’s population, 30% of the world’s GDP and 20% of the world’s trade.​

----quote end

Would this make Mexico the first country to be in both BRICS+ and OECD, or should we already consider Türkiye as being in both?

The Western bloc will look rather isolated if Türkiye, Mexico and Saudi Arabia end up in BRICS.

1679031798913.png

The map is a work in progress with BRICS+ as defined by November 2022 Silk Road Briefing. I think Uzbekistan, Cambodia, Ethiopia and Fiji could be added as they attended the 14th BRICS Summit. Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Pakistan, Sudan, Syria, Venezuela and Zimbabwe have also been mentioned as "expressing interest" but I've not included them yet.

Is it too early to make a new purple colour for TR and MX?

Last edited:
Reactions: Martin Everson
Would this make Mexico the first country to be in both BRICS+ and OECD, or should we already consider Türkiye as being in both?

It has to be seen how compatible membership of both can be for Turkey and Mexico. Mexico will be problematic for geopolitical reasons i.e U.S.

The Western bloc will look rather isolated if Türkiye, Mexico and Saudi Arabia end up in BRICS.

Saudi Arabia is happening as we speak and Turkey looks likely to. The list of countries lining up to join is growing. The US alliance may find itself in a rather small corner with demographics and future wealth growth against them.

Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Turkey apply to join Brics​

Argentina says has China's support to join BRICS group​

Reactions: khinkali
Good luck, lol

How did Bloomberg calculate it? Based on what, on what data? Where from? Show me.
Otherwise, it's a lie. Especially because it's in Bloomberg.

How many times has Bloomberg posted the articles that claim that "Russian economy is about to collapse"? And sometimes it'll also post "Russian economy is doing better than expected".

How did Bloomberg calculate it? Based on what, on what data? Where from? Show me.
Otherwise, it's a lie. Especially because it's in Bloomberg.

How many times has Bloomberg posted the articles that claim that "Russian economy is about to collapse"? And sometimes it'll also post "Russian economy is doing better than expected".
Tell this to all the investors in Russian stocks that lost -99.9% of their money rof/%

I'm sure an intelligent man such as yourself believes only real credible sources like RT and AlJazeera.

A few question I have while I stumbled about this thread:

What specific fields does Mexico hope to deepen its cooperation with the BRICS in, as stated by the Mexican Foreign Minister, Marcelo Ebrard?

Considering the tensions between Mexico and the United States, how does Mexico view its potential membership in the BRICS in terms of diversifying its foreign relations and increasing its global influence?

Latest Threads