Our valued sponsor

Monese Scam?!

lonizzita

Sep 19, 2019
Visit site
Monese blocked my personal money from a month, it was my savings!

to date they have not unlocked them yet, via email they never reply, via chat they never reply, I have also used other channels but they are no longer there. a very negative experience and unprofessional behavior!

have any of you had experiences with them?

• Haha
Reactions: Spinat
Monese blocked my personal money from a month, it was my savings!

to date they have not unlocked them yet, via email they never reply, via chat they never reply, I have also used other channels but they are no longer there. a very negative experience and unprofessional behavior!

have any of you had experiences with them?

Honestly, I don't think that Monese is a scam.

You can try to raise your complaint with Financial Ombudsman service - that may help to resolve your issue faster and you may get a compensation.

Alternatively, you may contact principal firm PrePay Solutions (prepaysolutions.com) - Monese act as their agents. Just lodge a formal complaint with them and they would be obliged to respond to you.

Reactions: Spinat
okay, they are a SCAM lol, don't think so.

Why did they block your account?

P.S Never had a problem with them.

I have made transfers, from my personal account to Monese, and from Monese to another personal account of mine (therefore no intermediate customer and no strange account) ONLY FROM MY PERSONAL ACCOUNTS

Before i do tests with a low budget to understand if everything was fine and after making 4/5 transfers in this way low budget I tried to make a high transfer .. at that point they got stuck!

they asked me for information (even if from Monese to another of my personal accounts) and have been missing from 1 month.

they waited for a large sum and then they blocked. This is dishonest behavior.

No EMI block account without reason. That doesn't mean that the EMI is equal to SCAM.
they freeze for no reason. since these are transfers, from my personal account to Monese and from Monese to another personal account of mine.

in addition to blocking for no reason, they are also smart!
when I was making transfers little (always from my personal account), everything went well, as soon as they saw a large transfer, they immediately blocked and disappeared from a month.

I repeat transfers from my personal account to Monese and from Monese to another personal account of mine.

Sounds like they are acting according to what their regulations force them to.

Recently had Revolut requiring documentation for source of funds for me, even though 100% of what I have transferred to them came from my own account.

Guess that in my case a red flag was that I used Transferwise to then move it OFF Revolut, using both to withdraw quite a decent amount from ATMs here in Thailand ;-)

I hate this s**t too, literally put it off for a couple of weeks and then had a horrible day trying to get some documents to them - horrible, indecent experience where the reporting directly from the app did not work & all sorts of s**t... Also NOT having standard documents or anything really did not help, half-way expected to get some shares I got with them almost confiscated...

The point is that the cash in my own account could WELL be part of a setup with mules, I've actually seen a couple of westerners in the local mall trying to recruit thai mules - overheard one of them saying something like "and then you just transfer the cash to this account"

Anyway, Revolut did come through with an OK later in the day - so I might keep them as their disposable card is great, other than that most trust is lost in my case.

Just to be clear: in my case 100% of the cash was clean & already taxed ++

This is the new reality: anyone deviating the tiniest bit from the standard behaviour will be regarded as a criminal of sorts, we just have to try to keep emotion out of it & keep filing them whatever papers we can when they ask for them!

Last edited:
I have made transfers, from my personal account to Monese, and from Monese to another personal account of mine (therefore no intermediate customer and no strange account) ONLY FROM MY PERSONAL ACCOUNTS

Before i do tests with a low budget to understand if everything was fine and after making 4/5 transfers in this way low budget I tried to make a high transfer .. at that point they got stuck!

they asked me for information (even if from Monese to another of my personal accounts) and have been missing from 1 month.

they waited for a large sum and then they blocked. This is dishonest behavior.

Can you say that what amount was your high transfer ? Also sometimes they answer to complains on Trustpilot , maybe not bad to try this way too .

Seems reasonable in 2020 for an EMI to ask source of funds sent from a personal account as a pass through to another personal account. You can't just continually transfer money first party and no attempt by EMI to identify how you obtained or generated the money. That would be a major KYC failure for an EMI and potential fine.

What means big transfer? 10k, 100k, 500k?

As suggested previously, if they don't reply within a week to you just contact the ombudsman about it. They are no scam and they will have a reason to block the account. Would be smarter to be diplomatic with them and not accuse them of something. Imagine the employee from Monese is acting in the same manner as you and feels provoked from your messages to make things extra slow and complicated. Better to stay calm and polite.

month, it was my savings!

Yes, that is normal. The same thing happened to me. Call center not reachable. After about 15 emails, they finally responded.

They closed my account because apparently I was using it for "cryptocurrency related transactions". The funny thing is that I actually did NOT use it for a single crypto-related transaction and I'm 100% confident of that and I was able to prove it to them (but they did not want, they just preferred to close my account). They just used this as a generic explanation and closed my account.

Very low amounts and they cause huge problems.

I think the only good usecase for Monese is if you recently moved to the UK (checkbox 1), you need a GB bank account without a residential address (checkbox 2) and you're employee of an UK company (checkbox 3).

If you fit these three checkboxes, you will not have any problems and no freezes. The more "nonstandard" you will behave, the more willing they will be to annoy you, freeze you and block you. This is becoming the new normal.

What means big transfer? 10k, 100k, 500k?

As suggested previously, if they don't reply within a week to you just contact the ombudsman about it. They are no scam and they will have a reason to block the account. Would be smarter to be diplomatic with them and not accuse them of something. Imagine the employee from Monese is acting in the same manner as you and feels provoked from your messages to make things extra slow and complicated. Better to stay calm and polite.

1. they wrote a maximum of 10 days and I would have received my money, a month has passed!
this is unprofessional behavior.
Also if one delays the payment as a minimum he should reply to the email. Instead i sent more than 10 emails and contacted via chat, they don't respond.

Yes, that is normal. The same thing happened to me. Call center not reachable. After about 15 emails, they finally responded.

They closed my account because apparently I was using it for "cryptocurrency related transactions". The funny thing is that I actually did NOT use it for a single crypto-related transaction and I'm 100% confident of that and I was able to prove it to them (but they did not want, they just preferred to close my account). They just used this as a generic explanation and closed my account.

Very low amounts and they cause huge problems.

I think the only good usecase for Monese is if you recently moved to the UK (checkbox 1), you need a GB bank account without a residential address (checkbox 2) and you're employee of an UK company (checkbox 3).

If you fit these three checkboxes, you will not have any problems and no freezes. The more "nonstandard" you will behave, the more willing they will be to annoy you, freeze you and block you. This is becoming the new normal.

after how long did they give you your money back?

after how long did they give you your money back?
I think 2-3 months, it was a small amount so I didn't care much. I had to follow up with them multiple times via emails and phone, otherwise they just completely ignored all communication and didn't reply to any emails. It is a terrible and frustrating experience.

I have noticed monese have clarified you cannot use your account for cryptocurrency activity.

I wonder why monese would just block an account ca#"!. Pretty sure they are not doing it randomly lol.

Not randomly but what pisses me off is thst the banks also do this when they want to derisk a certain group, to quickly close accounts under the aml heading......

Ok thats true. I have been victim of that many times myself sadly :confused:

Latest Threads