Our valued sponsor

More banks will cut off Russian payment system Mir - senior official

Martin Everson

Offshore Retiree
Jan 2, 2018
Visit site
The very reason why countries should de-dollarize their financial systems asap. Once your banks have USD correspondence accounts in New York your financial system is no longer independent or under your control. You become subject to US extra-territorial sanctions, regulations and they can pressure, threaten or even collapse your banking system by removing USD correspondence access.

Case in point was Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam who had to be paid in physical cash. US sanctions on her meant banks in her own country cannot maintain a bank account for her in any currency if they have USD correspondence relationship...lol.

P.S But I get it that a lot of countries have outstanding national debt in USD so are held hostage. And Turkey is no exception to this...lol

P.S But I get it that a lot of countries have outstanding national debt in USD so are held hostage. And Turkey is no exception to this...lol
Nobody forced them to raise debt in USD.

Many countries can't raise debt in their own currencies because it exposes the investors for currency risk: the country can always devalue their national currency. So they are effectively forced to raise debt in USD (or EUR) just by market forces. One can make the case that if investors don't trust your currency enough to lend you, maybe you shouldn't borrow in other currencies and expose yourself to a default.

The very reason why countries should de-dollarize their financial systems asap
De-dollarize into what?

Any movement of currency is subject to the central bank approval. When you transfer EUR your wire goes through TARGET2 and ECB can block any transaction they don't like. I have had a bank tell me "You can't do any transaction with country XXXX in EUR" due to ECB orders.

And even if you raise debt in EUR, the Euro is crashing so much against the USD- why would anybody want to hold EUR, much less have debt denominated in EUR that loses value by the day, if not by the hour.

Do you prefer having RMB accounts in which the Chinese central bank knows everything about you and your transactions and can block them? Any Chinese person that manage to escape China would gladly prefer USD\EUR rather than RMB.

As someone who himself lives in a "US vassal state" (as you yourself described it) it's a bit ironic to be so hostile to the USD and the American system. Clearly you have voted with your legs as to which system is better.

Case in point was Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam who had to be paid in physical cash
It's indeed sad that puppets of the CCP can't get a US bank account :(
The world's smallest violin is playing very sad music...

Many countries can't raise debt in their own currencies because it exposes the investors for currency risk: the country can always devalue their national currency. So they are effectively forced to raise debt in USD (or EUR) just by market forces. One can make the case that if investors don't trust your currency enough to lend you, maybe you shouldn't borrow in other currencies and expose yourself to a default.

De-dollarize into what?

Any movement of currency is subject to the central bank approval. When you transfer EUR your wire goes through TARGET2 and ECB can block any transaction they don't like. I have had a bank tell me "You can't do any transaction with country XXXX in EUR" due to ECB orders.

And even if you raise debt in EUR, the Euro is crashing so much against the USD- why would anybody want to hold EUR, much less have debt denominated in EUR that loses value by the day, if not by the hour.

Do you prefer having RMB accounts in which the Chinese central bank knows everything about you and your transactions and can block them? Any Chinese person that manage to escape China would gladly prefer USD\EUR rather than RMB.

As someone who himself lives in a "US vassal state" (as you yourself described it) it's a bit ironic to be so hostile to the USD and the American system. Clearly you have voted with your legs as to which system is better.

De-dollarize into globally accepted censorship-resistant alternatives in which states cannot (and actually should not) interfere.

De-dollarize into what?

Use local currency and setup swap lines with China like other countries have done ;). I discussed it below.

Only you mentioned Euro. No idea why you brought up the euro. Only you know why you raised a discussion about the euro use and then go on to debate it with yourself...lol. Thats very weird :rolleyes:.

P.S I know this thread now mentions China and Russia at same time but chill for a minute and don't get so easily triggered. You end up with a misty mind and start debating something (euros) no one has mentioned...lol smi(&%.

Reactions: wellington

De-dollarize into what?

I (hopefully) understand your thoughts and to remarkable extent I share it; but really, why are you mentioning especially EUR and RMB? (Of course it would be something not much better, or even worse than USD.) Just for example, CHF debts have a long tradition. Not mentioning GBP and JPY, ...
I must admit, I do not follow :( (Perhaps it is a minor issue; nevertheless, Carrie Lam studied at University of Hong Kong and then in Cambridge, AFAIK.)

De-dollarize into what?

it seems you live in your old status quo.

saudi arabia is NOW OFFICALY protected by Russia and not USA anymore.
At the right timing this will be announced so guess what will stay from the petro dollar.
There is a reason why central banks are buying gold and why biz made gold tier 1 money

Keep holding your money after the peak in USD and lets see how much worth it will be in 2025.
Vassal by choice or by force?

Reactions: Martin Everson
These US actions towards Turkey, a fellow NATO member, is the very reason countries need to de-dollarize in the long term. Once countries start this process only then will the U.S have a much more humble relationship with them. While the U.S has a free license to effectively commit financial terrorism against you because you use the dollar in international trade and hold some of your own national debt in dollars then nothing will change.

Bottom line is an alternative solution will be found and it may come out of the BRICS.

Reactions: wellington
These US actions towards Turkey, a fellow NATO member, is the very reason countries need to de-dollarize in the long term. Once countries start this process only then will the U.S have a much more humble relationship with them. While the U.S has a free license to effectively commit financial terrorism against you because you use the dollar in international trade and hold some of your own national debt in dollars then nothing will change.

Bottom line is an alternative solution will be found and it may come out of the BRICS.
And essential infrastructure terrorism... no way Russia blew up its last bargaining chip.

I think he means 11/24/2100?
Nov 2024

Latest Threads