Our valued sponsor

Moving to Dubai

This preference might change in the future though. My bank contacted me and said I have 25k AED left on my deposit limit, so I asked them if that’s per day, or per month or whatever, and they said it’s until they decide to give me more. Banks are trying to get people to use less cash.
everything is possible in the future. But we care about here and now and current facts, which are as stated.

Pro tip: Change bank.

Reactions: coollemur
Some tips:

1. I prefer Virgin over Du or Etisalat as they allow you to Pause number (and pay just 10AED/month during these months while you are away) but still your number will work and someone can call you even then. They also offer eSIM. Also, on the other side, if you pay your plan for the whole year in advance they offer 50% discount.

2. Use any VPN that works. People tend to use TurboVPN there for the calls (as it's free). Some major VPNs are blocked so make sure it works before buying one.

3. You could find great deals if you want to stay in hotels but then you can't prepare any of the food yourself nor store it. Some hotels even offer monthly rates (like Rove -> Monthly Hotel Stay Rates In Dubai - Starting From AED 4,999 - but note that their rooms are quite small). Stay in a hotel a couple days first before committing to one month. I could give you some tips about staying in private at JimBeam1795[at]protonmail.com

Reactions: debudubai
Some tips:

1. I prefer Virgin over Du or Etisalat as they allow you to Pause number (and pay just 10AED/month during these months while you are away) but still your number will work and someone can call you even then. They also offer eSIM. Also, on the other side, if you pay your plan for the whole year in advance they offer 50% discount.

2. Use any VPN that works. People tend to use TurboVPN there for the calls (as it's free). Some major VPNs are blocked so make sure it works before buying one.

3. You could find great deals if you want to stay in hotels but then you can't prepare any of the food yourself nor store it. Some hotels even offer monthly rates (like Rove -> Monthly Hotel Stay Rates In Dubai - Starting From AED 4,999 - but note that their rooms are quite small). Stay in a hotel a couple days first before committing to one month. I could give you some tips about staying in private at JimBeam1795[at]protonmail.com
Thanks! Appreciate it. Will reach out.

everything is possible in the future. But we care about here and now and current facts, which are as stated.

Pro tip: Change bank.
Natural follow-up. Suggested banks for personal and business use?

I'm relocating to Dubai in the next few weeks. Freezone company is setup.

For those that have done the move, any practical tips to share?

Examples:

- For the initial period, is a hotel preferred over a serviced apartment or hotel?
- Sim cards: any particular preference for Du, Virigin or Etisalat?
Are you planning to have permanent substance in UAE (rented/owned home, rented/owned office)?

I think another good follow-up question that others may benefit, is practical tips on how to find an apartment. We've covered payment, and cash is to be preferred. What's the best way to go about finding a good place? Website like bayut, dubizzle, propertyfinder, or is through visiting a tower and asking what's available, through an real estate agent? i get the feeling that buildings care vary greatly in the same area.

I think another good follow-up question that others may benefit, is practical tips on how to find an apartment. We've covered payment, and cash is to be preferred. What's the best way to go about finding a good place? Website like bayut, dubizzle, propertyfinder, or is through visiting a tower and asking what's available, through an real estate agent? i get the feeling that buildings care vary greatly in the same area.
First locate the zone of interest (marina, business bay, downtown, greens, JVC, JLT etc.) and then go through as many ads on the websites you mentioned as you can in that area to get a feeling of the offer in the area and the prices. Next, go to a number of viewings and talk to the agents as they know a lot and they won't tell you anything unless you ask. Watch some youtube videos about Dubai expats and their experiences with renting an apartment.

About the rent - cash is preferred only if you'll be paying the full year in advance.
If you want to split it to 2, 3 or 4 (or even 6) payments - checks are preferred and not many landlords will accept that.
Same thing goes for monthly payment - not many landlords will accept that as well.

Do not sign a tenancy contract unless you're sure that's the place you want to spend next year.
Terminating tenancy contract is difficult and will be at your expense.

Have some money on the side since you'll have to pay a couple of deposits (for eg. deposit for DEWA is about 2.5k AED) and also the agent commissions are about 1-2k AED.

BTW: I have one good 1BR apartment to rent. Brand new, never lived in. You have my email above ;)

Reactions: debudubai
First locate the zone of interest (marina, business bay, downtown, greens, JVC, JLT etc.) and then go through as many ads on the websites you mentioned as you can in that area to get a feeling of the offer in the area and the prices. Next, go to a number of viewings and talk to the agents as they know a lot and they won't tell you anything unless you ask. Watch some youtube videos about Dubai expats and their experiences with renting an apartment.

About the rent - cash is preferred only if you'll be paying the full year in advance.
If you want to split it to 2, 3 or 4 (or even 6) payments - checks are preferred and not many landlords will accept that.
Same thing goes for monthly payment - not many landlords will accept that as well.

Do not sign a tenancy contract unless you're sure that's the place you want to spend next year.
Terminating tenancy contract is difficult and will be at your expense.

Have some money on the side since you'll have to pay a couple of deposits (for eg. deposit for DEWA is about 2.5k AED) and also the agent commissions are about 1-2k AED.

BTW: I have one good 1BR apartment to rent. Brand new, never lived in. You have my email above ;)
Awesome, thank you. Got your email noted, not forgotten :) Will shoot you a note during the weekend.

What about bills like water and electricity (DEWA), p.o. box rent at Emirates Post, mobile phone subscription...etc. Can these services be paid automatically with recurring payment?
You'll get bills on email. Nothing comes by post.
Open banking app select bill payment, utility bills > dewa, enter the amount you want to pay, press pay and it's done.
Mobile phone (Virgin at least) is automatically deducted from your credit/debit card or using apple pay.

Reactions: zzzzzz
What about bills like water and electricity (DEWA), p.o. box rent at Emirates Post, mobile phone subscription...etc. Can these services be paid automatically with recurring payment?
yes they can, most of the services in Dubai can be done electronically and recurring.

a great indicator to look out for are the developers of the individual buildings. I personally try to avoid Damac.

Reactions: zzzzzz

Latest Threads