Our valued sponsor

My experience opening an account at OCBC and DBS

Outlander

Aug 24, 2019
Visit site
I have a BVI corporation and decided opening a bank account for it in Singapore. The two main banks there are OCBC and DBS. The later was nominated best SMB bank in the world last year, but both have an excellent reputation. As most readers in this forum know, opening accounts in reputable banks for classic offshore corporations is no trivial task.

The process, however, was quite straightforward. At OCBC it was handled manually, as an account opening officer was assigned to me and asked for the company docs and basic information. At DBS, you only have to fill out a standard form and schedule an appointment to bring your documentation at one of their branches in Singapore. The OCBC process, although more cumbersome, gave me a little more peace of mind as they vetted my business prior to my visit.

It's mandatory for any bank in Singapore to request a visit from the company director(s) for account opening. On exceptional occasions it might be done at one of their branches abroad, but you definitely must show up in person. So in early October I flew to Singapore.

The visit to each bank took about 2 hours, where they checked the original documents and asked about my business, who were my suppliers and clients, how long it had been in operation, and so on. They really try to understand your operation so you'd better be prepared and have direct answers.

Lots of signed papers after, and a few more documents they asked to send over email, I flew back home with the promise that they'd call me in up to 30 days with the outcome of my application. Today (17 days after I left Singapore), OCBC has called me and the result was positive. The account is opened. I should be hearing back from DBS soon and will update the thread accordingly.

In terms of what they offer, apart from their pristine reputation and ultra-stable jurisdiction, it's actually not so great. Both banks offer the possibility of multi-currency accounts (SGD, USD, EUR, etc.). At OCBC, you must keep a minimum balance of 30k for each currency you want to keep. So USD30k if you have a dollar balance, plus EUR30k if you are holding euro, and so on. The maintenance fee is SGD50 per month.

DBS has a much more competitive offer, as you must keep the equivalent of USD10k across all balances. So USD5k + EUR5k would be enough. The maintenance fee is only SGD40 per year.

Regardless, the big disadvantage is that both banks (and to my knowledge, all banks in Singapore) only have SGD denominated debit cards. If you aren't using SGD, there's no way to move your money other than wires. And wires are cumbersome, slow and expensive.

All in all, for me it'll be worth keeping either account as a backup in case my main account is ever closed. However, for day to day operations, the lack of a proper debit or credit card solution is a show stopper.

Thank you for this great review it has been a pleasure to read it.
However, for day to day operations, the lack of a proper debit or credit card solution is a show stopper.
That's indeed a show stopper and one will have to find alternatives.

Reactions: TravelRose
I have a BVI corporation and decided opening a bank account for it in Singapore. The two main banks there are OCBC and DBS. The later was nominated best SMB bank in the world last year, but both have an excellent reputation. As most readers in this forum know, opening accounts in reputable banks for classic offshore corporations is no trivial task.

The process, however, was quite straightforward. At OCBC it was handled manually, as an account opening officer was assigned to me and asked for the company docs and basic information. At DBS, you only have to fill out a standard form and schedule an appointment to bring your documentation at one of their branches in Singapore. The OCBC process, although more cumbersome, gave me a little more peace of mind as they vetted my business prior to my visit.

It's mandatory for any bank in Singapore to request a visit from the company director(s) for account opening. On exceptional occasions it might be done at one of their branches abroad, but you definitely must show up in person. So in early October I flew to Singapore.

The visit to each bank took about 2 hours, where they checked the original documents and asked about my business, who were my suppliers and clients, how long it had been in operation, and so on. They really try to understand your operation so you'd better be prepared and have direct answers.

Lots of signed papers after, and a few more documents they asked to send over email, I flew back home with the promise that they'd call me in up to 30 days with the outcome of my application. Today (17 days after I left Singapore), OCBC has called me and the result was positive. The account is opened. I should be hearing back from DBS soon and will update the thread accordingly.

In terms of what they offer, apart from their pristine reputation and ultra-stable jurisdiction, it's actually not so great. Both banks offer the possibility of multi-currency accounts (SGD, USD, EUR, etc.). At OCBC, you must keep a minimum balance of 30k for each currency you want to keep. So USD30k if you have a dollar balance, plus EUR30k if you are holding euro, and so on. The maintenance fee is SGD50 per month.

DBS has a much more competitive offer, as you must keep the equivalent of USD10k across all balances. So USD5k + EUR5k would be enough. The maintenance fee is only SGD40 per year.

Regardless, the big disadvantage is that both banks (and to my knowledge, all banks in Singapore) only have SGD denominated debit cards. If you aren't using SGD, there's no way to move your money other than wires. And wires are cumbersome, slow and expensive.

All in all, for me it'll be worth keeping either account as a backup in case my main account is ever closed. However, for day to day operations, the lack of a proper debit or credit card solution is a show stopper.

I wouldn’t be in such a hurry to be happy.

I have heard from colleagues of mine that they had accounts in both banks for offshore companies.

Basically what these bank are doing is a trap.

They will accept your money for couple of months and then tell you they have restrictions from their Central bank or monetary authority and you you wont be able take it out or spend it - and since you will not have debit card, the money is probably gone.

To avoid (very expensive) legal charges with local lawyers, I would suggest you stay away (from BOTH banks you mentioned).

They are doing it not only to offshore’s but even to LOCAL companies (and if they do it to LOCAL companies, you can imagine what they will do to your offshore comapny).

You can see here for example:

Singapore is definitely NOT (!!!) the time to bank with these days and until further notice.

Just avoid (as a friendly advice).

I wouldn’t be in such a hurry to be happy.

I have heard from colleagues of mine that they had accounts in both banks for offshore companies.

Basically what these bank are doing is a trap.

They will accept your money for couple of months and then tell you they have restrictions from their Central bank or monetary authority and you you wont be able take it out or spend it - and since you will not have debit card, the money is probably gone.

To avoid (very expensive) legal charges with local lawyers, I would suggest you stay away (from BOTH banks you mentioned).

They are doing it not only to offshore’s but even to LOCAL companies (and if they do it to LOCAL companies, you can imagine what they will do to your offshore comapny).

You can see here for example:

Singapore is definitely NOT (!!!) the time to bank with these days and until further notice.

Just avoid (as a friendly advice).

I don't have means to deny what you say but let's have a rational look at this. So the bank would go through all the trouble of extensive KYC and account opening procedure, which is quite cumbersome for them, with the hidden agenda of holding my account hostage and closing it a few months later? For what, a few hundred in fees plus $30k in deposits which don't belong and will never belong to them?

Banks are under intense pressure everywhere, not only Singapore, but Singapore has earned a reputation of stability and legal certainty. I doubt it could be worse in Singapore than in other places. You can't compare giants like OCBC and DBS to known traps such as EPB.

Also, money laundering isn't an issue for me because the business is 100% legit. For whoever is laundering money, taking extra precautions is a must everywhere.

Reactions: Horsecap
I don't have means to deny what you say but let's have a rational look at this. So the bank would go through all the trouble of extensive KYC and account opening procedure, which is quite cumbersome for them, with the hidden agenda of holding my account hostage and closing it a few months later? For what, a few hundred in fees plus $30k in deposits which don't belong and will never belong to them?

Banks are under intense pressure everywhere, not only Singapore, but Singapore has earned a reputation of stability and legal certainty. I doubt it could be worse in Singapore than in other places. You can't compare giants like OCBC and DBS to known traps such as EPB.

Also, money laundering isn't an issue for me because the business is 100% legit. For whoever is laundering money, taking extra precautions is a must everywhere.

I hear you and the only thing I can add to my previous comment it that experience is the best teacher in life.

If it was only 1 case I would agree with you, but 4 different cases (all legit) in the last 6 months showed me the trend.

Don’t get me wrong - I'm not coming from a place to intimidate you - just from a friendly place to warn the younger guys in this "industry" that might read you and act accordingly. That’s why we have this amazing forum as a platform – to share ideas and bring info from our own experience and knowledge for the benefit of the readers.

I understand that you are trying to see the situation as a rational player, but see where the "Prisoner's dilemma" brought the poor players of this game:

I never heard a Singapore bank opens an account for tax-haven offshore companies. I'm glad that it worked out for you.
This can happen, but no available for everybody

So having a non-tax heaven companies formed in HK, UK, US etc. increases the likelihood of bank account in Singapore?
Yes, but most importantly they check your residence, the CFC rules on your territory, criminal record and the reason you want to open up there.

If you come outside HK/SG and want to open a company/bank account to do business in the area. OK
But if the bank thinks you are doing that to hide your money or ML then you'll have problems.

Seychelles/BVI/Mauritus is even harder because you are not really doing business in the islands, so if the bank thinks you are going to do it to avoid taxes or reporting it would be a NO.
The people I know that keeps bank accounts in Cayman/BVI/SY with top tier Banks (HSBC) is because they are legal residents in non territorial taxation countries (SG, HK) or with non agresive CFC rules and they use this as holdings for investment vehicles with big deposits meaning the bank is making more profit and more willing to offer you the service.

Nice share, but what are the exact steps to open an account in Singapore, is there somoene that can explain that please?

Hey Outlander,

after the comments of BTCNG I wonder if the OCBC Account of yours still is open and how are your experiences with OCBC in the last years?
Right now I am in the application process with OCBC and have sent them all docs notarised and translated (as they where asking for). Sounds like I do not have to fly to Singapore, otherwise notarisation of my passport wouldn´t make sense, because they could just make a copy when I have to visit them.

Thanks!
Peter

Hey Outlander,

after the comments of BTCNG I wonder if the OCBC Account of yours still is open and how are your experiences with OCBC in the last years?
Right now I am in the application process with OCBC and have sent them all docs notarised and translated (as they where asking for). Sounds like I do not have to fly to Singapore, otherwise notarisation of my passport wouldn´t make sense, because they could just make a copy when I have to visit them.

Thanks!
Peter

Hey,

just want to let you know that I successfully opened a multi currency and an SGD checking account with OCBC. It took me two month, a folder of certified documents and lots of emails, whatsapps and calls with a very kind employee of OCBC. These guys take the KYC process seriously. No need to fly in. The account opening process was fully remote.

Best, Peter

Hey,

just want to let you know that I successfully opened a multi currency and an SGD checking account with OCBC. It took me two month, a folder of certified documents and lots of emails, whatsapps and calls with a very kind employee of OCBC. These guys take the KYC process seriously. No need to fly in. The account opening process was fully remote.

Best, Peter
Hi Fossy this is great to hear. In which country is your company incorporated? How long has it been incorporated? What sort of business is it? And what sort of questions did OCBC ask? This info would be pretty helpful for me, as a corporate account in SG would be ideal.

Reactions: Jerry1911
Hey,

Best, Peter
Dear Peter,
Could you please tell us whether you applied with the Bank directly or went trough some Introducer/Agency?
After all these months are you still happy with OCBC?
Cheers