Our valued sponsor

My paypal was hacked recently

busybee

Offshore Agent
Apr 17, 2009
Visit site
I know Paypal customer support has a bad rep but I give them full thanks for catching what was going on with my account. They noticed suspicious activity and notified me. I wasn't even aware of the problem because I only use that account two or three times a month. I had three fraudulent charges (over $500 worth) and they were great about getting those reversed and the money put back into my account.

My account was hacked once and the only thing that I had to do was change my password and I had to show documentation of who I was with a picture ID...my account was frozen I think for a total of 2 weeks but it wasn't too bad and it wasn't a huge amount I think it was only like $50-$60.

It's nice to hear that Paypal took a very proactive position on protecting your account. With more threats to customers nowadays, it seems that companies are being more vigilant in protecting their customers to ensure their customers stay with them.

Every online user is familiar with the term 'online fraud', be it through credit card or through fraudelent mails and websites. Its really important to take special measures to prevent yourself from becoming victim to any online fraud.

mlmprelaunch said:
Just curious, how can these charlatans do such a thing...hacking ones account? I'm sure there are clues...care to share so I will know? I want to shun being a victim that's why.
Often times it's through spyware or malware. The programs are secretly loaded on to a user's computer and keystrokes recorded and sent back to the bad guys. Sometimes it can also be done by a fake email (phising) and someone clicks the link thinking they are being taken to the real PayPal site when in reality it's a fake one. The victim types in their user name and password and the bad guys now have the information they need.

You are very lucky. Someone used a keylogger on my computer and got my information for my Paypal account and took $1000 out of my account. It took me a little over 11 months to get my $1000 back. My account was frozen and locked in the process too.

Never used Paypal ever again.

chris2k5 said:
You are very lucky. Someone used a keylogger on my computer and got my information for my Paypal account and took $1000 out of my account. It took me a little over 11 months to get my $1000 back. My account was frozen and locked in the process too.
Never used Paypal ever again.
Chris, at least you got your money back, even if it did take 11 months. I'm sure there are people out there who don't get even a penny back. As for not using PayPal again, not defending them, but you stated that there was a keylogger in place and that's how your account was hacked. How was that Paypal's fault?

tongyun said:
Chris, at least you got your money back, even if it did take 11 months. I'm sure there are people out there who don't get even a penny back. As for not using PayPal again, not defending them, but you stated that there was a keylogger in place and that's how your account was hacked. How was that Paypal's fault?
Paypal saw that I did not authorize such an action. The IP address used to log into my account was a Canadian IP address. The guy over the phone even saw that. They refused to give up my money for the longest time when they knew.

chris2k5 said:
Paypal saw that I did not authorize such an action. The IP address used to log into my account was a Canadian IP address. The guy over the phone even saw that. They refused to give up my money for the longest time when they knew.
I see why you are so upset with them and rightfully so. It's a shame that they were not more aggressive in taking care of the problem.

hacking of paypal account

Really it is very shocking news that paypal account is being hacked. Recently I have learnt from a discussion of social networking site in which I am a member, one of member of the site expressed that his account was also hacked in fraudulent manner, After lots of pursuance he got his money back. Later on he confirmed and admitted that he was using his paypal account through cybercafe which is very risk prone. It is true that every where and also in every profession there are few blackship who are doing all these illegal activities. Frequently we listen that somebody hacked someone's data information and someone jammed the information system etc. etc. Hacking in IT sector is a regular phenomena . Though security Agency is continuously working on the subject and time to time IT law is amended to protect the interest of online user from hackers , but security threat is still there. Paypal is one of most trusted & secured financial institutions and they are monitoring the suspicious activities of the a/c holder as well as hackers and if any unlawful activities are brought to their notice they immediately freeze or deletle the account.

Latest Threads