Our valued sponsor

No VAT registration for UK ltd without UK physical address?

dimitri

Mar 5, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

I wanted to open a UK limited company. I found a nice company that could do this for me.
They have normal packages with services, and a package for non residents. The package for non residents didn't include the option for a VAT number.
I asked them about this, because I thought that I really needed a VAT number. And they replied:

The reason you cannot see VAT under non-residents tab is because HMRC doesn't allow for VAT registration if you do not have a UK physical address.
The registered office address that we provide is a virtual address and can be used in Companies House but you cannot use it for VAT purposes.

I don't understand this. After reading a lot in the last week I really thought that I needed a VAT number.

Does anyone understand what's going on here?

Reactions: Spinat
That sounds really odd. Most registered office services i have used allow you to use that address for VAT purposes. I'd find another option for your setup. Note; the VAT registration is now more onerous for non UK citizens as they require two forms of ID and POD.

They are correct when filling out the VAT1 form you need to use your actual operating/trading day to day address for VAT and not the companies registered office (virtual office) address i.e question 5

Other agents are repeating the same thing i.e below.

Hi,

I wanted to open a UK limited company. I found a nice company that could do this for me.
They have normal packages with services, and a package for non residents. The package for non residents didn't include the option for a VAT number.
I asked them about this, because I thought that I really needed a VAT number. And they replied:

The reason you cannot see VAT under non-residents tab is because HMRC doesn't allow for VAT registration if you do not have a UK physical address.
The registered office address that we provide is a virtual address and can be used in Companies House but you cannot use it for VAT purposes.

I don't understand this. After reading a lot in the last week I really thought that I needed a VAT number.

If your annual revenue is below threshold of GBP85k there is no need to register for VAT.

On the other hand if you are above, accountants, lawyers and the like can probably provide an acceptable address if they are providing some regular services to the firm.

Reactions: L0rdCROISSANT
I would avoid VAT registration if possible if the purpose of the company is to sell services or products. If you intend to use the company to buy stuff it make sense to register the company for VAT and get a VAT number so you can safe to pay VAT when you buy stuff online.