Our valued sponsor

OK, so let's talk about Offshore Banks

SIX

Mar 24, 2018
Visit site
Hola, new to the forums, but an expat and PT of nearly 15yrs travelling our planet non-stop since 2004. Just figured I'd share a little experience for those folks looking at opening offshore accounts today.

I've opened accounts in 12 countries, not many I'll admit, but it has given me a little insight at least. In the mid to late 2000's bank secrecy did in fact exist, there were places one could get an old school numbered account - these, to my knowledge only exists in one country today and I don't know if they open new ones anymore. Now since around 2010 or so things started tightening up, secrecy definitely disappeared entirely and only slivers of privacy remained on the outskirts of OECD's grey/black list of countries. Since 2014/15 or so and today all offshore banks I've worked with require extensive paperwork to comply with their KYC (know your customer) rules and in my opinion offshore banks today offer zero benefit over a given domestic bank (other than being in a different jurisdiction). Often you will find fees are very high as they've not really caught on to the fact that they have no advantage and just go about business as usual.

The simplest countries to work with are in fact not traditional offshore countries, rather they are totally regular western places such as Australia, Canada and Germany. Neither of these places require much paperwork (a passport and perhaps utility bill at most) and have nearly no KYC questions, nor do they question if you move over 10,0000 EUR/AUD/CAD in/out of your account. They provide excellent credit card services, modern internet banking (many offshore banks have limited resources in this regard). Their staff also isn't used to being considered "offshore" so they do things quickly, efficiently and without question or extreme documentation.

There are even banks out there (actually, credit unions/building societies) who still to this day, charge ZERO monthly fees, ZERO fees for a Visa debit card (which works fine overseas) and even some who pay 2%+ interest rate on transaction accounts (no restrictions).

Banks are a necessary evil I'd rather be without, but given the current world situation where secrecy and privacy is DEAD I'd go with a local bank where you live for everyday stuff and look to the most loose western countries mentioned above; Canada, Australia and Germany.

Anyway just my two cents - I think traditional offshore banking is dead, they just don't know it yet.

Welcome aboard and thanks for your insides thu&¤#

There are even banks out there (actually, credit unions/building societies) who still to this day, charge ZERO monthly fees, ZERO fees for a Visa debit card (which works fine overseas) and even some who pay 2%+ interest rate on transaction accounts (no restrictions).

Do you have just one example of such a bank a name?

Yes traditional offshore banking is dying but not quite dead though if you know where to look ;-)

Reactions: Sir Gelato
This is 2% interest on Australian dollars. I can get over 5% on USD, no account fees, generate as many virtual debit cards as I can shake a stick at and the account is in a non-CRS country. I live in a territorial tax country so CRS and tax issues is not even a concern for me.

Welcome abroad anyway :)

This is 2% interest on Australian dollars. I can get over 5% on USD, no account fees, generate as many virtual debit cards as I can shake a stick at and the account is in a non-CRS country. I live in a territorial tax country so CRS and tax issues is not even a concern for me.

Welcome abroad anyway :)

hi Martin, can you share that setup?

Reactions: Grigorijs
I did the hop from Singapore also while I was out there in Singapore. You can pay the tourist visa fee on arrival in Cambodia. All you need is passport.

I did the hop from Singapore also while I was out there in Singapore. You can pay the tourist visa fee on arrival in Cambodia. All you need is passport.
Can you explain a little about the banking facility and which bank you opened an account with i.e. Internet banking, debit card etc.?

I opened with www.ababank.com. I mentioned it above in thread. The facilities and mobile banking is good for a developing country. You can checkout their website or their mobile app in the app store.

That's roughly double what I put in. There balance sheet is good. They are 90% owned by National Bank of Canada. Aba is als not a one office bank they have about 50 branches in Cambodia and is one of the top banks over there.

About us | ABA Bank Cambodia

No such thing as long term in banking, regulation and bank policies keeps changing weekly and you got to stay on your toes ;-)

You may use transferwise or similar services to transfer money to other accounts!

Reactions: Martin Everson
Card is the best way. Forget about wires from there its a manual process of paper filling.

Banking in Cambodia? Good to impress a girlfriend I guess, but far away for any kind of safe baking for any serious amount of money. Fact they just need a passport, show how easy they can shut you down too. And owned by a Canadian group, big deal, they fall under Cambodia regulations.

You have a point, but safe banking in 2018??? ns2

You do your research and risk what you are willing to risk its that simple. I am 100% happy with the risk ;)

Reactions: Luigi and JohnLocke

Latest Threads