Our valued sponsor

Online freelance consultancy business - Seychelles, Belize, BVI? Or...?

tarous

Offshore Agent
Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello there,

Since it's my first post here it would be nice to say hello - so, hello! ;)

I have some ideas for the future (e-commerce etc.) but this is to come yet. Right now I just provide remote marketing consultancy services for companies from all over the world. I get my jobs via different sources - freelancers' sites, word-of-mouth etc.

I'm an EU citizen, currently living in Malaysia and not really planning to move anywhere from Asia (as a continent). In fact, I'm more of a tourist, living here and there, mostly on tourist visas (I still have a working visa in MY but it expires in a few months), since I don't work with the locals. I just carry my laptop around and work wherever I like.

However, I do want to avoid any taxation problems in the future, so I've been thinking of setting up an offshore company. Since I'm a newbie I was reading up a lot on Belize, BVI and Seychelles - because these three kept popping up most often. I'm just lost among all of the details, not really sure what option should I go with.

Let me describe the details a bit:

1. Payments from clients come either from PayPal (withdrawals from freelancers' sites) or from different banks (e.g. Latvia, Australia, US etc.). Would that be an issue? I read that PayPal is not available in all countries - that could be an obstacle right?

2. As I mentioned I travel a lot, though I'm not fulfilling the tax resident criteria in my home country in the EU. I do however, even as a tourist, spend more than 183 days a year in Malaysia, what alone would be one of the tax resident criteria here.

But foreign-sourced income is not taxable in Malaysia - is that enough to avoid being taxed here? (just making sure, I'm not a tax expert - yet ;) ).

3. I do live close to Singapore, which is ultimately the country I'd like to move to in a couple of years. I read about their offshore banking and it looks promising. Would it make sense to establish an offshore personal bank account in Singapore to transfer the funds there from my offshore company?

And if so, again which country would you recommend? I read that BVI companies are quite welcome in Singaporean banks. Would/could there be any trouble with Belize or Seychelles?

The goals for me are quite simple - minimize taxation as much as possible. As privacy goes I'm not very much concerned. I would trade privacy for convenience - if going with HSBC instead of some local bank, will make it easier for me to withdraw my money and use credit cards worldwide, then I'd stick with the big bank.

So, to sum up, my idea at the moment is:

1. Setup an offshore company.

2. Link it with an offshore account in Singapore.

3. Live and travel using the Singaporean based offshore funds, using credit cards and their banking.

Does that make sense?

Many thanks in advance!

So, to sum up, my idea at the moment is:
1. Setup an offshore company.

2. Link it with an offshore account in Singapore.

3. Live and travel using the Singaporean based offshore funds, using credit cards and their banking.
I'm not certain on the offshore company and Singapore but I don't believe there to be any troubles with a Seychelles, Belize nor BVI company however, it may be worth to approach a few banks there before you go ahead with the incorporation of a company in one of these offshore jurisdictions.

Next issue that may rise is PayPal, as you may (or may not) have read here on the forum and as well on other forums, then PayPal is country specific so it will get challenging to connect a PayPal account to a Singapore (or any offshore) bank account.

Reactions: tarous
Does it make sense to have a corporate account somewhere offshore as well? In the same country or Cyprus for instance? I've read about combinations like that, I'm just not sure what's the most convenient solution. My sole purpose is to reduce taxation to be able to build up some more capital and go into other branches of web business. I need to be using personal accounts on a regular basis. And I'd prefer to stay away from the EU if possible - not sure what they might come up with soon.

PayPal is not a deal breaker luckily, I can always choose a wire-transfer option on the freelancer's sites I get orders from - it's just less convenient.

Would a construction like that make any sense?

1. Offshore company.

2. Offshore corporate account.

3. Personal offshore account in Singapore.

And which one of the three has relatively good IT infrastructure? I don't have a site yet but if I put it up I'd prefer to have it somewhere safe. My home country in the EU apart from period of residence uses also a very vague definition of a "center of social or business activities" in determining tax residence. That's why I had to ditch all memberships in any organizations, just not to draw attention. I'm not very concerned today, as my income is not exorbitant and it's unlikely to draw any attention (as I don't own properties and make no large investments in any of the countries), but I do plan to grow my business and I would prefer not leave any treads which could possibly get me in trouble later.

Luckily both Malaysia and Singapore don't tax foreign-sourced income - and with internet activities it's actually rather hard to determine where, how and to what extent was I performing any professional activities, especially since I don't work with local companies.

Oh, I just found your offer about Seychelles company + Carribean bank account for 1199eur.

Is that offer still available? (at 1199 EUR?) As I understand it includes Seychelles company incorporation + the anonymous bank account? Wouldn't that package be even better for me? Is there any inconvenience related to using this account? Like transferring money between countries, online payments and so on?

sorry to disturb but it is a interesting topic and I would like to stay around.

The offer I found is only 489 + 150 in total 639 :S -confused:

Does it make sense to have a corporate account somewhere offshore as well? In the same country or Cyprus for instance? I've read about combinations like that, I'm just not sure what's the most convenient solution. My sole purpose is to reduce taxation to be able to build up some more capital and go into other branches of web business. I need to be using personal accounts on a regular basis. And I'd prefer to stay away from the EU if possible - not sure what they might come up with soon
You can open an account with any bank world wide, so for instant a Panama Bank like, Continental International Financial Group, Continental Bancorp Ltd. or BMI in the Seychelles, BMI Bank better, together or a Cyprus bank or even a bank in Latvia. Most use some sort of transit banking, to avoid the originating account to be visible to anyone.

Would a construction like that make any sense?
1. Offshore company.

2. Offshore corporate account.

3. Personal offshore account in Singapore.
Always use a offshore company paramount never open a offshore bank account personal if privacy matters! that said you need to look at which offshore jurisdiction has signed less TIEAs and DTA's and other Tax Information Exchange agreements. Also look at what TIEA's your country of Citizens has signed that may help you to find the proper jurisdiction. A search on the forum here will lead you to a link from the OECD where you simply enter your country and it will show what TIEA's signed.

Reactions: tarous
alain said:
sorry to disturb but it is a interesting topic and I would like to stay around.
The offer I found is only 489 + 150 in total 639 :S -confused:
It may be a old offer he may have found :)

I don't have a site yet but if I put it up I'd prefer to have it somewhere safe. My home country in the EU apart from period of residence uses also a very vague definition of a "center of social or business activities" in determining tax residence. That's why I had to ditch all memberships in any organizations, just not to draw attention. I'm not very concerned today, as my income is not exorbitant and it's unlikely to draw any attention (as I don't own properties and make no large investments in any of the countries), but I do plan to grow my business and I would prefer not leave any treads which could possibly get me in trouble later.
For hosting of your website either host is simply in the USA and use a service like name.com or godaddy.com and use whois privacy that may already help you otherwise use some of the Panama hosting companies. And there is katzglobal.com who is the one hosting the most Ponzi Shceme and illegal websites in the world :) Very anonymous hosting, good support and trustworthy.