Our valued sponsor

Opening US bank account for non-residents

Personal or Corporate? Or Both?

You’ll need a U.S. company with a federal EIN, your company’s articles of incorporation, and a picture of your government ID (e.g. a passport or driver’s license).

I would really like to see some valid reviews from reputable forum users around here. Everything I have ever seen and read about is that account openings got rejected by foreign people unless they used a middleman.

WellsFargo in SF (15 minutes, passport + credit card of a reputable Bank in a North European Country) Temp card was issued immediately. Address was a forwarding address, phone number a prepaid sim. ($1500 average/deposit for free account),
you can change everything to 'europe' when you are 'home' and have received your proper card.

TD Bank in NYC, same setup minus the credit card. Real CC was also issued immediately, the $200 deposit was usable immediately. ($500 average deposit for free account)

So, yes it is real.

Thank you for your review @Milky Moon - so just to understand this clear, the only thing we have to do is to take a flight to the US and walk into the bank i.e. Wells Fargo or TD Bank and provide the information and documents you say ?

Yes. It’s really easy.
Unless maybe you’re a Pakistani citizen living in Syria.
For a phone number you can also use Google Voice (use Skype or similar VoIP provider to sign up for it - or a prepaid SIM). With Google Voice you can receive text messages and calls via an app or to your email inbox.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe Blasco

You’ll need a U.S. company with a federal EIN, your company’s articles of incorporation, and a picture of your government ID (e.g. a passport or driver’s license).
great find, is this bank or emi ? it's make huge difference if real bank .

great find, is this bank or emi ? it's make huge difference if real bank .

See this old discussion on Mercury. It is just an EMI.

Be aware that some addresses are registered as belonging to mail forwarding agencies and banks may refuse to mail credit cards to them.
You can check that on the USPS website (I think it’s the zip code lookup tool that shows that information).

Not quite sure is this question for this thread but lets try it..

Going to New York soon and have a plan to open personal bank account there. Can anyone help me which bank will accept me as a tourist with non-US adress and EU documents, actually are there any?

I will use that account for personal things such PayPal, eBay and some places where i need US card. I need account with internet banking and Visa or Mastercard debit card.
Hi, edimmax, so did u succesfully open an us bank account?

WellsFargo in SF (15 minutes, passport + credit card of a reputable Bank in a North European Country) Temp card was issued immediately. Address was a forwarding address, phone number a prepaid sim. ($1500 average/deposit for free account),
you can change everything to 'europe' when you are 'home' and have received your proper card.

TD Bank in NYC, same setup minus the credit card. Real CC was also issued immediately, the $200 deposit was usable immediately. ($500 average deposit for free account)

So, yes it is real.
Personal or business account?

Can you suggest a mail forwarding service that works with banks?

for US banks in general and WF specific: using VOIP numbers wont work for e.g. the Zelle transfer system. Banks in US are blocking since a few years the use of VOIP numbers for verification etc. Own experience with WellsFargo. So you need to get a US sim card.

Many banks are starting to block VOIP numbers. WF for sure. Others may still alllow it. There have been policy changes for the use of VOIP numbers. Services like Hushed etc dont guarantee that their services will work for banking. Cant get my Zelle stuff working with email.

just back to the topic: even if you manage to open a US bank account as a non resident, look into how inbound/outbound transfers are done and what kind of verification is needed. To avoid that you are stuck with getting the money from an ATM only.

Latest Threads