Our valued sponsor

Passenger Name Record - flight data

zzzzzz

Pro Member
Feb 12, 2020
Visit site
While reading this article I was wondering, do tax offices have access to PNR flight data (international flights to/out of EU)? Looks like it is used only by law enforcement in case of preventing/analyzing/prosecution terrorist offences and serious crime. This data is available for 6 months, after that it has to be anonymized and deleted after 5 years.

PNR EU directive

While reading this article I was wondering, do tax offices have access to PNR flight data (international flights to/out of EU)? Looks like it is used only by law enforcement in case of preventing/analyzing/prosecution terrorist offences and serious crime. This data is available for 6 months, after that it has to be anonymized and deleted after 5 years.

PNR EU directive

Some tax offenses like fraud etc are deemed a "serious crime". Therefore people responsible for enforcing local tax laws should have access right? Why on earth would you be worried about this anyway?

----- quote start

(23)Member States should exchange the PNR data that they receive among each other and with Europol, where this is deemed necessary for the prevention, detection, investigation or prosecution of terrorist offences or serious crime. PIUs should, where appropriate, transmit the result of processing PNR data without delay to the PIUs of other Member States for further investigation. The provisions of this Directive should be without prejudice to other Union instruments on the exchange of information between police and other law enforcement authorities and judicial authorities, including Council Decision 2009/371/JHA (7) and Council Framework Decision 2006/960/JHA (8). Such exchange of PNR data should be governed by the rules on police and judicial cooperation and should not undermine the high level of protection of privacy and of personal data required by the Charter, Convention No 108 and the ECHR.

----- quote end

Some tax offenses like fraud etc are deemed a "serious crime". Therefore people responsible for enforcing local tax laws should have access right? Why on earth would you be worried about this anyway?

----- quote start

(23)Member States should exchange the PNR data that they receive among each other and with Europol, where this is deemed necessary for the prevention, detection, investigation or prosecution of terrorist offences or serious crime. PIUs should, where appropriate, transmit the result of processing PNR data without delay to the PIUs of other Member States for further investigation. The provisions of this Directive should be without prejudice to other Union instruments on the exchange of information between police and other law enforcement authorities and judicial authorities, including Council Decision 2009/371/JHA (7) and Council Framework Decision 2006/960/JHA (8). Such exchange of PNR data should be governed by the rules on police and judicial cooperation and should not undermine the high level of protection of privacy and of personal data required by the Charter, Convention No 108 and the ECHR.

----- quote end
Serious tax offenses are probably in the 8-9-10 digit range not below. This is my assumption.

Serious tax offenses are probably in the 8-9-10 digit range not below. This is my assumption.

£25,000 in avoided taxes in UK is considered a serious tax offense punishable by up to 6 months in prison. But UK is no longer part of EU. However you need to check each countries laws in EU. People get jailed all day long for low 6 figures. i.e in Germany over 50,000 euros and its a serious tax offense and its a suspended jail sentence. Then over 1,000,000 its jail.

Like this guy got...

Reactions: thomasparra

An example - if you are tax non-resident in your country of citizenship, but you only fly to your country of residence for 1-5 months per year. But since data is already anonymized after 6 months, I guess it's not that usable for taxman.

An example - if you are tax non-resident in your country of citizenship, but you only fly to your country of residence for 1-5 months per year. But since data is already anonymized after 6 months, I guess it's not that usable for taxman.

If tax man was building a case against you then they would have pulled all the data they needed before this anonymization happens. Anyway flights records are not solid proof of anything as you can cross borders without using a plane. They will more likely use your mobile phone and card spending records to track your movements.

Reactions: zzzzzz

Latest Threads