Our valued sponsor

Passive owner of UK company tax resident in US

jamesh

May 4, 2021
Las Vegas
Visit site
I am in the process of moving from the UK to the US. I will effectively have a choice as to which country I will be tax resident in for the current tax year (I have 176 days in the US in this tax year, thinking about spending another week to get up to 183 days). I am trying to make sure I make the right choice.

I own 100% of a UK LTD company. I only get dividends, no salary, since I am mostly a passive owner. The company is tax resident in the UK and we don't want this to change. I have spent <15 days in the UK in this tax year and none of that time has been spent working for the company.

But of course income tax is much lower in the US so I would like my dividends to be taxed there. Will this be the case? Do I need to do anything to make this the case?

I would never move to US if you have any tax concerns. I would seek professional advice in any case. Some of the stuff ypu say about lower income tax in US already worries me about your understanding. Have you considered Federal taxes and not just state taxes which may or may not exist?

Also what is your income level and what US State are you moving too to say taxes are lower in US then in UK. Someone earning a £1,000 a month in UK would disagree.....lol.

Latest Threads