Our valued sponsor

Passport scanning and registered at hotels in France

countryfree

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
I spent a night at the Ibis hotel at Orly, the Parisian airport 2 weeks ago.

When checking in, I gave the guy at the desk my booking number and my passport, and I was hugely surprised to see that he had the same machine the customs have. The device which can read your passport automatically. Hotels have this now in France! The guy swiped my passport through it, and then I saw him checking his computer screen...

I asked about it, and I was told they had this machine since the beginning of the year. Not all hotels have it, but they do because they're close to the airport.

I guess big brother has gone bigger in France.

Reactions: Spinat
I spent a night at the Ibis hotel at Orly, the Parisian airport 2 weeks ago.

When checking in, I gave the guy at the desk my booking number and my passport, and I was hugely surprised to see that he had the same machine the customs have. The device which can read your passport automatically. Hotels have this now in France! The guy swiped my passport through it, and then I saw him checking his computer screen...

I asked about it, and I was told they had this machine since the beginning of the year. Not all hotels have it, but they do because they're close to the airport.

I guess big brother has gone bigger in France.
there are several scanners for passports installed many years ago in hotels reading the machine readable code, it s much more time convenient. I think you saw something like this. Thete are also scanners for the bio data that can svan everything except the finger prints costing literally nothing..

in many countries that have biometric ID s you ll see these bio scanners in banks, notary publics, civil services etc. It is used ofcourse to proove if document is authentic so guys beware ...

there are several scanners for passports installed many years ago in hotels reading the machine readable code, it s much more time convenient. I think you saw something like this. Thete are also scanners for the bio data that can svan everything except the finger prints costing literally nothing..
Well, I'm spending more than a hundred nights at hotels (1star to 5star) each year. So I've been in many hotels where an employee made a copy of my passport, but this was the first time I had this.
Higher tech, but it means my passport info is in a database somewhere. Don't like it.

Well, I'm spending more than a hundred nights at hotels (1star to 5star) each year. So I've been in many hotels where an employee made a copy of my passport, but this was the first time I had this.
Higher tech, but it means my passport info is in a database somewhere. Don't like it.
strange...it is really common practice especially in big hotels with many guests it saves them time, than manually entering the data..

I've been to 2 4-star hotels recently, and there were no passport-reader anywhere in sight. And there were no data entry, the only need was to check that my name was the same name they had a booking for. So it was very swift.

Latest Threads