Our valued sponsor

Permanent home rules

Jea

Dec 1, 2019
Visit site
1. Can sleeping over at parents' house, when I regularly come to visit them, be considered as having a "permanent home" in that country (and thus becoming tax resident in that country)?

2. What if I sleep over in a hotel, but stay at parents' place during the day when visiting them?

3. What about sleeping over regularly at friend's or girlfriend's place?

1. Can sleeping over at parents' house, when I regularly come to visit them, be considered as having a "permanent home" in that country (and thus becoming tax resident in that country)?

2. What if I sleep over in a hotel, but stay at parents' place during the day when visiting them?

if your mother approves teenagee sex and you take all precautions I think it s ok ...

if your mother approves teenagee sex and you take all precautions I think it s ok ...

Beautiful troll!

To OPs question, None of the above.

"Permanent home available" in legal text refers to a place belonging to you, or a place that is rented in your name for at least 12 months. You can replace "you" and "your" in the previous sentence with legal spouse or married partner, but not girlfriend or parent. More aggressive treatments are possible but quite rare.

1) yes
2) doesn't matter where you actually were but whether you had this place freely available (without delay) or not
3) yes, especially if you have keys to that place

I think what you are referring to are the "habitual abode" definitions in terms of your residency.
You can read more here: Glossary of Tax Terms

These rules differ from country to country, so some countries may have them strict (Germany), some less strict and some have them defined in such a way that it is unenforceable.

"Permanent home available" in legal text refers to a place belonging to you, or a place that is rented in your name for at least 12 months. You can replace "you" and "your" in the previous sentence with legal spouse or married partner, but not girlfriend or parent. More aggressive treatments are possible but quite rare.
They definitely aren't rare. You can look into some legal cases in certain countries (Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, some central european countries) and you will find out this "12 month rent" is not necessary. All that is needed is e.g. an apartment of your parents to which you had a key and free access.

Of course all laws and definitions are not black and white, it is gray area, therefore it is good idea to arrange things in such a way that nothing can be used against you in a possible civil (or even criminal) case. I don't mean to scare you but I know multiple cases which are much more aggresive than you probably imagine (aggressive = aggressive against the tax payer).

@KJK

Okay, I see. With a dracula like Germany everything's possible.

Usually there are other hooks that make someone a resident and therefore liable for tax. OP is unlikely to be resident because of "permanent home available" test, unless his case concerns a specific DTA where that test is of #1 or #2 priority.

Without further information, I'd assume the OP would be a resident in his home country not because he visits his parents and GF regularly, but because he just does not have stronger residency ties elsewhere. The "center of life" test, my shot from the hip.

Usually there are other hooks that make someone a resident and therefore liable for tax. OP is unlikely to be resident because of "permanent home available" test, unless his case concerns a specific DTA where that test is of #1 or #2 priority.

Yes, but there are lot of countries, where having a permanent home will make you a tax resident according to their local laws.
Some examples:
Austria: Individuals that have their domicile or habitual abode in Austria are subject to unlimited tax liability ... “Domicile” is defined as the place where an individual holds a dwelling under circumstances that show that he will keep and use the dwelling (source)
Czech Republic: A tax resident is defined as an individual who has a home in the Czech Republic in which he/she intends to stay permanently or ... (source)
Ukraine, ...

Without further information, I'd assume the OP would be a resident in his home country not because he visits his parents and GF regularly, but because he just does not have stronger residency ties elsewhere. The "center of life" test, my shot from the hip.
This might apply to many EU countries, but there's no such rule in my country, so it doesn't apply to me..

2) doesn't matter where you actually were but whether you had this place freely available (without delay) or not
But I was talking about parent's place at which I don't sleep over (I'd stay at hotel or other short-term rented place). How is that a "permanent home"?

Reactions: JustAnotherNomad
But I was talking about parent's place at which I don't sleep over (I'd stay at hotel or other short-term rented place). How is that a "permanent home"?
It is not your residential address but it can be considered your habitual abode. As I already wrote above, you need to study your country's law and how exactly are these places defined.

Also sort your things and opsec in such a way that it cannot be used against you - it is complication if you are famous, have envious neighbours, live in a small town where everyone knows everyone else etc.

Check e.g. here: Where Do Tennis Players Pay Taxes?
Boris Becker, the enfant terrible of German tennis, has done the same a little later. The sad part of his story is that the German tax-man persecuted him frantically. The precedent for all of us: remember that if you ever forget your toothbrush anywhere on German territory, chances are that you will be considered a German resident (and taxed as such).
Nowadays, Monaco offers primary residence to many of the world’s top-ranked male and female players. This includes Serbia’s Novak Djokovic (1), the Czech Republic’s Petra Kvitova (4), Tomas Berdych (4) and Lucie Safarova (13), Canada’s Milos Raonic (6), Denmark’s Caroline Wozniacki (5), Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov (11) and the Croatian Marin Cilic (10).
Yes I'm not kidding, the fact that Boris Becker had his toothbrush at his parent's place was used against him, this is 100 % serious.

Yes I'm not kidding, the fact that Boris Becker had his toothbrush at his parent's place was used against him, this is 100 % serious.
are you serious, that must be back in the 90´s ?

I'm at the nip of moving this thread to the Talk about everything forums.

@Admin The case went to court in 2002, long time ago, but they got him with the permanent home rules, which are still in place today

Germany: An individual is resident if he/she is domiciled or has a habitual abode in Germany. A habitual abode is deemed to exist if the individual spends more than six months in Germany. Domicile can be presumed where an individual has permanent accommodation at his/her disposal in Germany; it is not necessary that the individual actually uses the accommodation (source)

Like @KJK was saying, it looks like in Germany it's not ever necessary that you use the place!! (unlike in other countries which I have listed above) WTF Germany?!?

I looked into the Becker case, and I think the "toothbrush issue" is just media bulls**t. He used an apartment in Germany owned by his sister, so he was clearly violating the law...

⦁ The case revolved around the prosecution's allegation that Mr Becker had maintained a residence in Munich while claiming to live in the tax haven of Monaco.
⦁ The three-times Wimbledon winner admitted making a mistake in failing to declare a residency in Germany to tax officials but denied deliberately cheating paying taxes.
⦁ He said he could not be accused of criminal scheming as the apartment - his sister's loft - was basic and he stayed there only occasionally.
⦁ Mr Becker said he "barely" understood Germany's tax laws and said he ignored expert advice that retaining the apartment could get him into trouble.
⦁ As a result, his fortune, estimated at 150m euros ($146.5m) during his career, has melted away on child support and divorce payments.
⦁ He has now sold his villa in Munich and lives in a hotel.

⦁ Because of this tax business, I have not been able to sleep easily since the first house search [in 1996]," he said
⦁ He had told the court that during his stays in Munich before reregistering as a resident he had lived in a "spartan" flat at the top of his sister's house.

Reactions: JustAnotherNomad
are you serious, that must be back in the 90´s ?

I'm at the nip of moving this thread to the Talk about everything forums.
in this forum it seems there are two basic categories of readers : the first will try to open firms and bank accounts with hmmm not so authentic papers at the least totally cheating the tax authorities and everybody else and who knows what they may be selling. The second category is the exact opposite, persons that live under a stress of constant persecution of the authorities , imagining that their faces are scanned, their IP's are traced and their voice is analyzed along with their cellular signal by the tax office like they were Pablo Escobar. How we perceive the world has very much to do with how and where we were brought up and where we live. I have some basic idea from which places of the world the persons in these 2 categories come from but for the sake of psychiatric science Mr Administrator, since you can see the Ip's can you share this statistical info pls?

in this forum it seems there are two basic categories of readers : the first will try to open firms and bank accounts with hmmm not so authentic papers at the least totally cheating the tax authorities and everybody else and who knows what they may be selling. The second category is the exact opposite, persons that live under a stress of constant persecution of the authorities , imagining that their faces are scanned, their IP's are traced and their voice is analyzed along with their cellular signal by the tax office like they were Pablo Escobar. How we perceive the world has very much to do with how and where we were brought up and where we live. I have some basic idea from which places of the world the persons in these 2 categories come from but for the sake of psychiatric science Mr Administrator, since you can see the Ip's can you share this statistical info pls?
Love you m8! <3

In the UK, going to the same hotel or staying at your parents is considered a permanent home. I'm assuming it's the case in a lot of other countries as well -- this is typically not present on the government's website but in a jurisprudence from older court cases.

The only way around it is to stay at different hotels all the time, stay at friends places, etc. and document it so that when the government asks, you have a full spreadsheet ready to send.

Thanks Camille, that makes total sense. I'm already keeping receipts from my stays in hotels. Not sure how to document stays at friends' places though..

The question of this would arise only if you cannot prove that you have been outside of the country most of the time.
Boris Becker because of toothbrush? It's a joke. The man cheated on his residency by staying in Germany.
Don't cheat the days and you won't get any problems. Stay outside your country, pay in foreign countries with credit card to have proof. Save plane tickets etc

But German state prosecutors told the judge in the case that Mr. Becker deserved the sentence for evading payment from 1991 to 1993. They said Mr. Becker, 34, had deceived the authorities by claiming that his principal residence was in Monaco, when he was actually living in Munich.
Source: Boris Becker, a Tennis Bad Boy, Faces Prison in German Tax Case

Last edited:
It depends on your country’s domestic laws. If you’re not a celebrity, it’s very unlikely anyone will check it.
If you clearly live somewhere else and really only visit from time to time, you don’t keep your stuff there, I can’t imagine anyone will come after you. And even if they did, there would usually be a DTA in place that would assign the tax residency to the other country.
But it all comes down to the individual country and how much they want to screw you over.

Latest Threads