Our valued sponsor

Personal bank account opening in US

If that will work for you then please post back here. I don't believe it to be possible.

BofA and TD will 100% do this on the spot. Better call before as some branches are more picky than others. You may need more than one ID document and you'll need a domicile address. Better use a real one, some mail forwarder and PO boxes are not accepted by them. But it should be pretty easy to open a personal one. Business is much harder.

So I can only encourage you to reply here with the results regardless if this works or not. A good feedback would be much appreciated.

Yes this is possible and very easy.

WellsFargo is the bank to go to at the west coast, (deposit $1500 and you do not pay account fees)
TD at the east coast (deposit $500 and you do not pay account fees).

With both banks you get issued a debit card. Your account opening deposit ($150), which you can spend immediately with your debit card.

BoA also accepts walk in customers.

You need a passport + drivers license, and a credit card to fund you deposit (WF) or cash (TD). For both you do not need a US address (you do for BofA). A US cellphone number is easy (for account autentication, you can easily change this to a EU number once you are back in Europe.

Chase only wants to sell you their Wealth Mngt Services; Bank of America needs a US address and I do not like a mailcompany to have access to my finances (the bank envelopes stand out ;))

Great, so I assume we will soon see alot of happy new foreign customers with US bank accounts. Let's see if they can overcome to report back here or if they just avoid the feedback.

If you are opening a US Bank account to avoid CRS then you are wasting your time and money as US account information is being shared as I explained in below post.

However, if you are opening a US account because you want diversification, good USD access or an ABA number then I guess it may make sense. Otherwise ignorance of cross border information exchange is bliss ange¤%&

If you are opening a US Bank account to avoid CRS then you are wasting your time and money as US account information is being shared as I explained in below post.

However, if you are opening a US account because you want diversification, good USD access or an ABA number then I guess it may make sense. Otherwise ignorance of cross border information exchange is bliss ange¤%&

What happens after the exchange? How the non resident alien gets informed? and how can they pay taxes after the exchange info?

What happens after the exchange? How the non resident alien gets informed? and how can they pay taxes after the exchange info?

Your local taxman will be in contact with you. He will explain everything to you. Just lotion up your wrists in advance as handcuff's tend to scuff.

Private account in the US is not a problem, just walk into any bank and you will most likely get it within minutes. As for the automatic exchange of information, there is a big question mark are US banks really doing it. There are a few colleagues of mine who are EU citizens with private accounts in the US and they never had any problem. In my honest opinion, I think USA is terrorizing the whole world to report accounts of US citizens abroad, but when it comes to their banks seems like they are not doing it ... because they simply can do whatever they want. This is just my personal opinion.

Private account in the US is not a problem, just walk into any bank and you will most likely get it within minutes. As for the automatic exchange of information, there is a big question mark are US banks really doing it. There are a few colleagues of mine who are EU citizens with private accounts in the US and they never had any problem. In my honest opinion, I think USA is terrorizing the whole world to report accounts of US citizens abroad, but when it comes to their banks seems like they are not doing it ... because they simply can do whatever they want. This is just my personal opinion.
True, but if one makes prudent business decision, he has not choice but to act as if "US banks really doing it".

Reactions: Martin Everson

Latest Threads