Our valued sponsor

Personal bank account opening in US

Yes this is possible and very easy.

WellsFargo is the bank to go to at the west coast, (deposit $1500 and you do not pay account fees)
TD at the east coast (deposit $500 and you do not pay account fees).

With both banks you get issued a debit card. Your account opening deposit ($150), which you can spend immediately with your debit card.

BoA also accepts walk in customers.

You need a passport + drivers license, and a credit card to fund you deposit (WF) or cash (TD). For both you do not need a US address (you do for BofA). A US cellphone number is easy (for account autentication, you can easily change this to a EU number once you are back in Europe.
In November 2019 this was no longer true. I went to multiple branches of WF, TD, BoA, Chase, Santander and Citi and none would open an account for an NRA without a permanent US address. In the cases of Santander and Citi I even had accounts in my home country already and bought documentation with me.

In November 2019 this was no longer true. I went to multiple branches of WF, TD, BoA, Chase, Santander and Citi and none would open an account for an NRA without a permanent US address. In the cases of Santander and Citi I even had accounts in my home country already and bought documentation with me.

I opened accounts in both HSBC and TD this year. Some friends and acquaintances opened accounts in Citi, BofA, and TD during the last months (August - October) as well.

Some were rejected by BofA and no one had success with WF and Chase.

I opened accounts in both HSBC and TD this year. Some friends and acquaintances opened accounts in Citi, BofA, and TD during the last months (August - October) as well.

Some were rejected by BofA and no one had success with WF and Chase.
Interesting. I must be doing something wrong. I am from the UK and only have a virtual mailbox in the US. No friends and family address I can use unfortunately.

Interesting. I must be doing something wrong. I am from the UK and only have a virtual mailbox in the US. No friends and family address I can use unfortunately.
For what I have read and also spoke with a citi person, it’s easier to open NRA bank account at Miami for example ( a lot of tourists and immigrants), it’s just about finding the correct branch.

Reactions: lostguy
did you find this "correct branch" ?
Unfortunately I didn’t have enough time when I went to Miami.. planning to go maybe this year or maybe January ‘23. But as I mentioned, I spoke with a RM of citigold package and she told me that just needed to visit a branch and I would get a personal account. Citigold allows to open remotely from 200k

Unfortunately I didn’t have enough time when I went to Miami.. planning to go maybe this year or maybe January ‘23. But as I mentioned, I spoke with a RM of citigold package and she told me that just needed to visit a branch and I would get a personal account. Citigold allows to open remotely from 200k
Can you please tell more on Citigold remote account opening?

ARE YOU A RESIDENT ALIEN OF THE U.S.?
No
Unfortunately, we are unable to open your account online at this time.
Quite strange.. I contacted them in 2021. And about opening in person this is what she wrote:
CDC2D77E-1991-46A2-B958-62D039484274.jpeg