Our valued sponsor

Portugal Golden Visa Delays

blancmon229

Member Plus
Aug 15, 2023
UAE
Visit site
It seems like instead of processing applications, which are already taking up to 2030 to be processed, the Portuguese authorities would rather go on vacation. Here is the article: Portugal Golden Visa Approval Volume in August Slowest in 2 Years as Government Goes on Holiday Mode - IMI - Investment Migration Insider

For me Portugal is one of the most inefficient countries out there.

Is there any way to expedite the processing? I heard some people are suing for illegal delays, but many lawyers I contacted are not willing to sue the government as a final judgement (after maxing out appeals) can take up to 10 years according to them.

• Haha
Reactions: jafo
I don't mean to laugh, so I'm sorry for this.
My experience and that of some other relatives:
I renewed one of my parent's passports, the Portuguese one, a long time ago. I had the passport that was about to expire (~11 months) and birth certificates etc etc. I went to the Portuguese consul who had personally known us for decades. It took ~3 years to get it sorted out. stupi#21 They asked for all kinds of additional UNRELATED paperwork, including but not limited to another parent's passport & birth certificates and whatnot. stupi#21
The incompetence & delay was mind-boggling!

Sadly, I still have relatives in Portugal who need to be housed at retirement homes inside Portugal because they are just TOO old to live alone.

I have NO solutions for you, except you have to be very patient with Portugal. Most public officials there just don't have the mental capacity and acumen to get things done in a prompt and efficient manner. It's NOT personal.

Good luck!

Reactions: blancmon229
I was researching the golden visa there, including visiting personally and talking to a lawyer. According to her 1.5 years is good, no way to make it faster, also she did not want to take the case despite high amount (=higher fees) because according to her it was long, tedious and impossible to influence. She mentioned that other types of residence permits were much faster. Maybe you can try one of those?