Our valued sponsor

Postfinance termination

that's a simple lack of competence... swiss postfinance one was a "department" of swiss postal services... pure bureaucrats... and they have NO swiss bank licence to offer the full range of services (credits, mortgages etc.)

Post finance actually became a bank and got a license back in 2013. I used them when I lived in Switzerland and even had my a mortgage on an apartment via them.

I have try opening online of CA Next bank, but at the end of the opening request I had a message that the opening is not possible with the information provided. :confused: I am of Swiss nationality and resident in Malta.

I have try opening online of CA Next bank, but at the end of the opening request I had a message that the opening is not possible with the information provided. :confused: I am of Swiss nationality and resident in Malta.

That's not promising from CA . You would seem to me as an swiss expat to be the idle candidate for such a digital account. Must be an automated mistake.

Damn, oh well it seemed like a good option on face value.

Bah! sucks. The Swiss don't want our money...

I disagree. It's all about money and cover story.

If you -want- and CH bank account, it depends on who you are, where you are from and what you bring to the table.

If you live in FR/DE/AT/IT it is very easy to get an account. If you life elsewhere you have to have a good cover story (and some money and a 'idea' of growing that money with the CH bank). *the world is in flux, the next crisis is on our doorsteps, you want a safe heaven for you money with a prudent and safe bank, ergo a swiss bank* Do not bull s**t to much. Make a list of your trier 1 and tier 2 banks. Spend a week in Switzerland, test your story with the Tier 2 banks, see what questions they have and answer those questions already in your pitch to the Tier 1 banks. (Make you look professional, it's what the Swiss like)

Do not focus on Zurich, but try local banks and branches of UBS/CS.

CA/Next, CH/FR/DE residents only.

The below banks are open to non-resident account openings (If you have less than 25K CHF no need to apply):
Schaffhauser Kantonalbank
CS
UBS
Glarner KB
BCJ
BCN
Saanenbank
Sparkasse Egelsberg (now Sparkasse Schwyz, donno their current status)
St Galler KB
Zuricher Landbank (not ZKB, they are arrogant assholes ;))

You can also hop over to Germany and open a CH account at a German sparkasse. Cheap access to CH payment infra.
Giro swiss - Ihr Girokonto in Schweizer Franken - Sparkasse Hochrhein (e1,90)

You need to make an appointment and visit them in person (no walk-ins, it is Germany!

Reactions: Runway and daxbr
I'm EU but not from any of those countries. CS gave me a flat 'No'. Going over to Switzerland is not a problem, but everybody in the phone is already telling me either 'No' or 'Only for >100K investment products from the bank'. And yes it is way more than 25K and I lived and worked in Switzerland in the past.

So basically an EU citizen with some good Swiss past (as bank history, rent, tex reports, etc I can provide) and some cash to park has no place, afaik atm in CH. Maybe if I had a business, expected growth or I were multi million it would be different. But for parking cash seems it's not.

I can check some other banks you mention...

Yeah I don't know about Swissquote... Maybe things changed recently but I only remember them as some trading platform. Maybe you could leave funds there etc. Dunno will have to check.

Anyway these are the kind of answers I get: 'Your country of domicile is one of the overseas markets in which St.Galler Kantonalbank is unable to open a business relationship'

Damn, oh well it seemed like a good option on face value.
CA it's not a fantastic option. They toke newly it first name. IndoSuez CA. The compliance is very strict and exigent. They refuse any offshore company with no substance. They dont want Malta or Cyprus residence because they say that these countries don't signed some accords with ocde (really comic coming from CH). They don't accept non resident in the normal bank. Only in the private bank and you need min. 500K to be accepted as non resident. On the other hand they have the relatively most reasonable commissions from the world of private banking in ch.

Reactions: Martin Everson
Anyway these are the kind of answers I get: 'Your country of domicile is one of the overseas markets in which St.Galler Kantonalbank is unable to open a business relationship'

That is the default answer if you call. You have to go and visit them in person. You need to have a convincing cover story as to why the Skt Gallen KB. Skt Gallen is a good place to visit, Hypo-Voralberg is there, Acrevis and CS and UBS. Get yourself a room at the local Radisson Blue (and mention you choose that over the 'Einstein' due to a parking garage for your $german car (choose a brand that fits your personality/story (bmw/audi/mercedes/porsche) when asked where you are staying) You should have money available. The Euro/CHF future of Europe discussion is all very valid to them.

Spend a week there as you can walk in but need to make an appointment for later that week.

There is lots to do in and around Skt Gallen. Visit the Bodensee if the weather permits. Or drive to the smaller KB banks that surround the Skt Gallen area. When are succesful in opening your account, you will get your personal banker, after 4-6 months inquire about a safe depositbox. They will be happy to sell you one for ch200 a year :).

Good luck!
(the phone has droids that use a script, hen you do walkin you personal banker will decide if they take you on as a client)