Our valued sponsor

Reason for not having a TIN (CRS self certification)

What's good to enter as a reason for not having a TIN on a CRS self certification form?

" I am trying to avoid CRS"

Bunq app ask for the TIN, but I'd like to know what's a good explanation in general, so banks won't close my account.

"I have just moved country and awaiting my TIN"

P.S Hopefully people see the sarcasm in first reply :rolleyes:

They actually give you 90 days to provide it so will this explanation work?

What about "I have no taxable income in the country"?

Sorry do you not have a TIN? It is not even mandatory to have a TIN for AEOI to occur anyway. It is nice to have however. Information will still get exchanged. I discussed this in another thread.

Sorry do you not have a TIN? It is not even mandatory to have a TIN for AEOI to occur anyway. It is nice to have however. Information will still get exchanged. I discussed this in another thread.

No I don't have a TIN. I know the information will get exchanged, that's not an issue (since I don't have any taxable income in that country, and will only stay there for 2 months).

I'd like to know how banks react when you don't provide a TIN and what's a reasonable explanation.

Reactions: JohnLocke
Well you have your answer in document. Even if you are not a Tax payer you can request a TIN.

"The Tax Administration assigns a Taxpayer Identification Number to a person who is not a taxpayer, if this is required by other law provisions."

P.S Having a TIN does not mean you must pay taxes in general.

P.S Having a TIN does not mean you must pay taxes in general.
I know, but I decided to not request it. My reasoning is that if Greece gets a CRS report without a TIN, they are more likely to ignore it than if it's with a TIN.

Not that it matters much, since I don't plan to live or have any taxable income here anyway.

Just don't want to get any extra attention, in case larger sums start flowing through these accounts :)

I know, but I decided to not request it. My reasoning is that if Greece gets a CRS report without a TIN, they are more likely to ignore it than if it's with a TIN.

Do you think Greek taxman will more likely ignore CRS data given to them on a resident because it has no TIN....lol? Are you saying Greek taxman is that lazy in their job? No wonder the country is economically screwed if that's the case :confused:.

Well it's a pure speculation from my side. I won't be here anyway in a few weeks, I'm not registered here and don't have any income from here.
So the options are:

1. Greek taxman get a CRS report on person who doesn't live or is registered in the country and doesn't even have Greek tax ID
2. Greek taxman get a CRS report on person who doesn't live or is registered in the country and HAS Greek Tax ID

Option 2 might make him wonder, why does this person asked for a tax ID and I guess they might take further steps...

Reactions: sonato
I won't be here anyway in a few weeks, I'm not registered here and don't have any income from here.

Your not registered in Greece? Well get ready for taxman trick number 1. When they discover you via CRS reporting i.e that you use Greece address they send you a tax return anyway. They tell you don't worry if your not resident or have no income then just simply say so on form....lol. Then the questions trap you when they ask where were you resident other than Greece etc etc. It's called fishing and requires no effort on their side. They simply send you down a rabbit hole and let your paranoia do the rest...lol.

aren't they known to close the eyes if you feed them with money rof/%

That would be his option 3 smi(&%

Your not registered in Greece? Well get ready for taxman trick number 1. When they discover you via CRS reporting i.e that you use Greece address they send you a tax return anyway. They tell you don't worry if your not resident or have no income then just simply say so on form....lol. Then the questions trap you when they ask where were you resident other than Greece etc etc. It's called fishing and requires no effort on their side. They simply send you down a rabbit hole and let your paranoia do the rest...lol.
Well I won't be living at that address, so I won't even pick up the letter. But let's say I get somebody to collect letters for me at that old address. Then I can just reply to them that I never was a tax resident there, never had any locally sourced income and only lived there for a month (all true).
If they asked about my other residences I'll tell them "Georgia" (again true) and problem solved, right?

I'm using the Greek residency only so banks like Revolut would allow me to register an account, as they only accept EEA addresses.

Well I won't be living at that address, so I won't even pick up the letter. But let's say I get somebody to collect letters for me at that old address. Then I can just reply to them that I never was a tax resident there, never had any locally sourced income and only lived there for a month (all true).
If they asked about my other residences I'll tell them "Georgia" (again true) and problem solved, right?

I can't speak for Greek taxman but I had similiar problem years after I left UK as resident a non-dom. UK tax authorities sent me a tax return (CRS related I guess) to a UK address I had not lived at for years as I left UK years ago. I got letters and fines like year later from a friend when he came on holiday to visit me outside UK. I contacted HMRC and asked what this nonsense was about and they said it was likely a mistake. However they said I must complete tax form and send back and pay the fine for not completing a tax return which they said will be refunded later. Bottom line find out how it works in Greece as in UK whether tax is owed or not by law once they send you the tax return you must complete it and state on it that nothing was earned or you were not resident in UK in that year. One quirk is that had I got the tax letters early I could have fixed the problem over the phone with HMRC. Never will I let an address on an account not be updated again.

I'm using the Greek residency only so banks like Revolut would allow me to register an account, as they only accept EEA addresses.

That's what I was kind of doing but not with revolut. Anyway hopefully Greek taxman really is lazy....lol.

Reactions: sonato and Peter66
2. Greek taxman get a CRS report on person who doesn't live or is registered in the country and HAS Greek Tax ID

Option 2 might make him wonder, why does this person asked for a tax ID and I guess they might take further steps...
Oh my, they are too busy with COVID19 and too lazy the rest of the time, don't worry about that.

Latest Threads