Our valued sponsor

Registering a car offshore?

Alex1985

Apr 7, 2024
Asia
Visit site
As a non resident of EU I usually put my car in name of a family member.

I've seen some offers for car registration in Cook Islands, and I wonder how legit it is and how viable it really is even if it's "legit".

I imagine getting stopped by the police regularly to have to explain the situation and show all paperwork, and the police being somewhat suspicious even if the situation is actually perfectly legal.

Did anyone here actually do this and drive the car in EU?
Or any other options for car registration that may be better (I've seen Bulgaria as an option, and Andorra if it's a relatively new car).

Another possible option is German export plates, maybe? I keep hitting dead ends on my research into this.

I like to add that over many many m of driving around EU I've never once seen a Cook Island plate.

Last edited:
It used to be easy to do this. Around 2014 a lot of rules and regulations were EU wide harmonised which made it very difficult but not completely impossible. Until then you held your cars in a Luxembourg company with Luxembourg car registration. A rental agreement between you and the company owning the car was enough to almost permanently drive around in that car in almost all of Europe.

Just some generic things to keep in mind nowadays are to not drive the car too long in a foreign country. 3 months is an often heard term after which you will become locally exposed to road tax which is sometimes coupled to local insurance. Driving permanently with foreign plates is complicated because of all the camera systems. Not just speed or red light but also the Automatica Number Plate Recognition camera's which are used in more and more countries.

Bulgaria currently, as you rightfully mentioned, is an option. Just make sure that you are made aware of traffic fines and pay them. You wouldnt be the first to see their car being temporary impounded. On top of that, keep a close eye to how things develop. Personally I think Bulgaria will rather soon-ish fall in line with the rest of Europe now that they became a part of Schengen.

With regards to Cook Island plates you need to look as to what is allowed. If I am not mistaken you have three months. Also keep in mind the headlights. If for instance Cook Islands drives on the other side of the road compared to the EU countries you go to, expect to be stopped often for both the headlights and the attraction the Cook Island plates generate.

edit: I drove about 300.000 km between 2014 and 2020 in Central Europe and I also have never seen a Cook Islands plate.

Reactions: JohnLocke
It used to be easy to do this. Around 2014 a lot of rules and regulations were EU wide harmonised which made it very difficult but not completely impossible. Until then you held your cars in a Luxembourg company with Luxembourg car registration. A rental agreement between you and the company owning the car was enough to almost permanently drive around in that car in almost all of Europe.

Just some generic things to keep in mind nowadays are to not drive the car too long in a foreign country. 3 months is an often heard term after which you will become locally exposed to road tax which is sometimes coupled to local insurance. Driving permanently with foreign plates is complicated because of all the camera systems. Not just speed or red light but also the Automatica Number Plate Recognition camera's which are used in more and more countries.

Bulgaria currently, as you rightfully mentioned, is an option. Just make sure that you are made aware of traffic fines and pay them. You wouldnt be the first to see their car being temporary impounded. On top of that, keep a close eye to how things develop. Personally I think Bulgaria will rather soon-ish fall in line with the rest of Europe now that they became a part of Schengen.

With regards to Cook Island plates you need to look as to what is allowed. If I am not mistaken you have three months. Also keep in mind the headlights. If for instance Cook Islands drives on the other side of the road compared to the EU countries you go to, expect to be stopped often for both the headlights and the attraction the Cook Island plates generate.

edit: I drove about 300.000 km between 2014 and 2020 in Central Europe and I also have never seen a Cook Islands plate.

Whats the difference between Bulgaria and other EU countries in regards to car registration?

Bulgaria is currently not completely compliant in following EU law.
Take Germany or France for instance (among others) and they would be all over you when you register a car there and drive it permanently abroad.

How would they know that you drive it abroad? Always best to register the car on a company.

Many foreign cars are driving in Spain permanently for example.

How would they know that you drive it abroad? Always best to register the car on a company.

It’s very hard for them to know and you most likely won’t have any problems with eu license plates. I think the German export plates have a max validity of 6 months.

But if you stay in the same area with the car and have non eu plates you will probably run into problems some day

Driving a foreign car permanently is more or less possible. I'll clarify where it's a bit grey at the moment and why it is becoming more complicated.

1. when you are longer than X time ( I believe its 3 months ) with a foreign plated car in a country you become liable to pay road tax in that country on top of the road tax you already pay in the country of registration.
2. In some countries that triggers an insurance thing which means you need to take local insurance for your foreign plated car on top of your insurance you already pay in the country of registration.
3. when your car is permanently abroad, you will not always be able to meet the TUV / MOT requirements. Depending on the country this is annually, bi-annually or another interval. When you however miss your TUV / MOT you get fined in your home country plus your car is then negatively registered. Some countries share that information already and they are working on an EU wide system. The problem with 3 is that you can only get that TUV / MOT done in the country of registration.
4. in some countries you could end up having to pay excise duties when your car is too long in that country. Specifically The Netherlands is known for that.

The "how would they know that you drive it abroad" I already answered. The ANPR camera's are very common in most countries. They are definitely used at all major border crossings. If you take backroads you might avoid them. These camera's furthermore circulate on various locations in countries. More and more countries are sharing that data because it's a key indicator in tax related cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simon4466
Some cars you can't rent.. If you want to rent a basic Porsche, it would be 3-5k/month.
So you can rent. It’s just not in your budget ;) perhaps shortlease will work. It for sure gives better rates. Also contact the big rental companies direct. The rates on their site are for instance negotiable.

Or just have a local car per country and accept the costs involved. A Porsche is a high profile car. No way you will stay under the radar with that when you play the license plate game.

From a different forum (about pensioners) I understand them having the same problems. The days where you had real freedom are now limited to three months per calendar year.

Keeping 3 months per year in mind… divide your time over 4 countries. It solves a lot of extra (tax) issues also.

Reactions: JohnLocke and ilke
Solution may be Swiss tax free plate, renewable annually !! So unlike all others countries those taxfree plates are "permanent" in fact, there is a guy in Zurich which is in such business for 30 years, along selling tax free cars Iczkovits TaxFreeCars
Downside being insurance side, you cannot have full coverage, only civil liability
There is also road worthiness test to be taken in Zurich

Solution may be Swiss tax free plate, renewable annually !! So unlike all others countries those taxfree plates are "permanent" in fact, there is a guy in Zurich which is in such business for 30 years, along selling tax free cars Iczkovits TaxFreeCars
Thank you, I will have to contact these guys for some information, I didn't know about such service existence.

Reactions: Tony D
Use rental cars. Yes you can also rent (short lease) for longer periods of time.
May indeed be the best for everyone who don't want to stay flexible.

Latest Threads