Our valued sponsor

Registering a supercar in Europe somewhere

This might not help in your case, but for people residing outside the EU, Andorra has "temporary" MT plates. Andorra has 4.5% VAT, instead of e.g. 19% in Germany etc., so quite a lot of money could be saved. The annual registration renewal can be done remotely with some private service providers.
Why isn't this possible for EU residents? Because EU residents are not allowed to drive to car within Andorra or because EU residents are not allowed to drive around with MT plates in the EU?

Why isn't this possible for EU residents? Because EU residents are not allowed to drive to car within Andorra or because EU residents are not allowed to drive around with MT plates in the EU?
It is the latter one. An EU resident could register a car with Andorra MT plates, but he couldn't drive outside Andorra.

This is interesting, is there any agency who can handle it?
Just Google "Andorra MT plates" and you will find small agencies.

Last edited:
Try that in Denmark, it simply won't work.
You cannot simply lease a personal car on foreign plates as they will fine you after a while, and force to register it locally. Pretty much anywhere after 1/6/12 months.
There are some loopholes around it, personal/company residence requirements and special permissions to be asked for this to work in such car-nazi countries.
Imho those countries are not worth hassle, I'd prefer to just move away to freer countries.
But I know people doing it and have no issues when stopped by police as long as everything is done right.
If you're living in one of those you better ask a professional in this field.
Cause every little thing MUST be done right for this to work, and can easily put you into other problems if done wrong (personal tax residence).

You cannot simply lease a personal car on foreign plates as they will fine you after a while, and force to register it locally. Pretty much anywhere after 1/6/12 months.
There are some loopholes around it, personal/company residence requirements and special permissions to be asked for this to work in such car-nazi countries.
Imho those countries are not worth hassle, I'd prefer to just move away to freer countries.
But I know people doing it and have no issues when stopped by police as long as everything is done right.
If you're living in one of those you better ask a professional in this field.
Cause every little thing MUST be done right for this to work, and can easily put you into other problems if done wrong (personal tax residence).
Yeah they'll straight up seize the car and fine you if you got residence here, and if you're dane moved to Sweden they'll also f**k with you they seized a fews car just on speculation luckily they got given back after some months.

AFAIK that's only for private cars. You can drive a foreign plate LEASED car as much as you want, as long as the leasing company is inside EU there should be no issues.

There are some companies that "buy" your supercars and lease it back to you with foreign plates and insurance. That way you will (usually) pay cheaper CO2/power road taxes, cheaper insurance etc.
as CyprusLawyer says, you have to keep some docs in the car otherwise they could impound it...
There were eastern europe ones like BG and RO, but those plate reputation is pretty bad nowadays.
There are German ones, CZ ones.
As long as you don't get caught or your envious neighbor puts you in troubles...
Another issue is the annual/inspection, it should be done in the plate country not where you live... if it's yearly this can be a big pita.
Be careful. A country such as the Netherlands wouldn't allow residents to LEASE from foreign companies with foreign plates as the government would mis out on taxes. In NL as a resident its limited to merely days where you would be able to drive a car as described and only with a valid reason (replacement car for when own broke down for instance).

About 10 years ago the EU closed a loophole. Before that many such situations were organised via Luxembourg. I am not aware of any provider still offering this.

A general thought to consider; set up a rental company and rent a car from your own rental company. You then tick a lot of legal boxes that cannot be used against you. Rental is preferable over leasing because of the term involved. Also with renting you get lower prices the longer you rent.

The above is a thought. Not sure if it would work (semi permanently) as the EU closed a major loophole in that sense.

Last edited:
Be careful. A country such as the Netherlands wouldn't allow residents to LEASE from foreign companies with foreign plates as the government would mis out on taxes. In NL as a resident its limited to merely days where you would be able to drive a car as described and only with a valid reason (replacement car for when own broke down for instance).

About 10 years ago the EU closed a loophole. Before that many such situations were organised via Luxembourg. I am not aware of any provider still offering this.

A general thought to consider; set up a rental company and rent a car from your own rental company. You then tick a lot of legal boxes that cannot be used against you. Rental is preferable over leasing because of the term involved. Also with renting you get lower prices the longer you rent.

The above is a thought. Not sure if it would work (semi permanently) as the EU closed a major loophole in that sense.
Yeah it is impossible to drive foreign plates in your country of residency legally, also not with leasing or renting constructions..

It is still possible with Luxembourg indeed either by some special providers or by registering your car on your own Luxembourg Civil Company.

Reactions: GPT
It is still possible with Luxembourg indeed either by some special providers or by registering your car on your own Luxembourg Civil Company.
Luxembourg has always had some of the best tax advantages over them all. I'm curious to see where it will go with your super car and if you succeed with your plans.

My personal believing is, it won't work within the EU, either you get fined, or they will take your car.

Again it all depends on the country.
In the U.K. for example I have noticed cars there for years with foreign plates. 2-3+ years the same foreign car…

In Luxembourg the law for example gives you 6 months:

„As soon as you move to the Grand Duchy, your vehicle must have a brand new number plate to be able to travel the country’s roads. You have 6 months to change your plate, which can be personalised.“

So it really depends on which country in Europe/EU. Each will have more or less flexible regulations. And each Police will have more or less flexible enforcement.

Reactions: Mr Gus
Luxembourg has always had some of the best tax advantages over them all. I'm curious to see where it will go with your super car and if you succeed with your plans.

My personal believing is, it won't work within the EU, either you get fined, or they will take your car.
Taking your car is only temporary. Even the Dutch which are one of the strictest are in many cases not able to impound the car especially not when ownership isn’t attached to the driver.

Fining. Yes. They can and will.

I do agree with you that it’s going to be difficult giving the loopholes that are closed. I also do think that there are solutions. Can’t share them publicly though.

The one thing I don't like with Andorran tourist plates is that they show their month and year of validity on the license plate, for everybody to see...

I've found another solution there:

From what I've understood, your car will be registered under the name of an Andorran company, but you will be the owner in the sense that you will have in your pocket a sale contract with your name on it, but without a date. It might be a scam?

Latest Threads