Our valued sponsor

SataBank Closed

Billions of euros in Satabank transactions deemed 'highly suspicious'
'This makes previous money laundering cases look like child's play'

Billions of euros in Satabank transactions deemed 'highly suspicious'

----quote-----------
Billions of euros in suspicious transactions through Satabank are under investigation.

Financial regulators and police are looking into a cornucopia of cases with suspected links to fuel smuggling, drug trafficking, the Mafia and black listed countries, a senior source privy to the case has told The Sunday Times of Malta.

“This makes previous cases of money laundering through a Maltese financial institution look like child’s play,” the source said.

“The extent to which crime seems to have infiltrated this bank is quite astounding. It is one of the most complex cases we have ever had to deal with.”

All 12,000 of Satabank’s accounts were effectively frozen by the Malta Financial Services Authority last October, with EY (formerly Ernst and Young) appointed to administer the bank’s assets in “the best interests of depositors”.

The move came after a joint inspection and audit by the Malta Financial Services Authority and Financial Intelligence Analysis Unit last year found shortcomings in the bank’s anti-money laundering procedures. The police have since been roped in, as well as a magistrate to help facilitate the investigations.

The extent of the problem

Details of what irregularities were discovered at the bank have so far been held under lock and key.

Sources however have now told The Sunday Times of Malta that the extent of the alleged irregularities detected at the bank in recent months had exceeded what the authorities had initially expected.

They explained that tens of billions of euros in transactions had passed through the Paceville bank during its four years of operation and investigators now believe as much as half of these may have been “high risk and highly suspicious”.

“There are accounts through which hundreds of millions were channelled, with very lax controls, and in some cases from questionable sources. Each account is now being analysed to make sure that only ‘clean funds’ are released. It is a painstaking process,” one source said.
---------------------------

Millions linked to international diesel smuggling operation discovered at Satabank

Millions linked to international diesel smuggling operation discovered at Satabank

“Hundreds of millions of euros” in suspicious transactions linked to an international diesel smuggling racket were discovered at Paceville’s Satabank – considerably more than investigators had originally expected to uncover, The Sunday Times of Malta has learnt.

The Maltese Police and Financial Intelligence Analysis Unit are both combing through a network of “dozens” of shell companies linked to Maltese, Sicilian, and Libyan diesel smugglers, and their associates, often concealed behind minority shareholdings, which were discovered as having held accounts at the beleaguered bank.

The fuel smuggling operation, which had started following the 2011 collapse of Libya’s Gaddafi regime, evolved into a large criminal organisation coordinated by Maltese smugglers, Libyan militia and Sicilian businessmen with ties to the Mafia.

----end quote

Not no normal bank satabank was but a laundromat created by criminals for criminals :(.

@Martin Everson

Interesting, although, I still don't approve how the Maltese authorities handled the situation. There is no justification to any of this.
Frozen accounts, people locked out of their funds for months, many businesses can't pay their employees. Some companies will never recover.

This laundering operation is a peanut compared to Danske's affairs in Estonia. Out of 250 billion of suspicious transactions, 200 B is expected to be dirty. Low risk businesses and individuals were not put under this stress and BS that Satabank's cusomers have to deal with. Same with ING's affairs in the Netherlands.

In my view, what Maltese authorities did to their businesses is on the moral grounds worse than what the oil smugglers did. It's like throwing a bomb on a city to kill a couple of terrorists.

I agree with you.

The backstory however explains a lot over Malta's terrible panic actions. The US don't play fair and like what they told Cyprus and even Dubai probably threatened to remove dollar access. The fact the transactions were probably done in USD will likely have meant that every bank in US would have terminated correspondence banking services for the small island. They were caught between a rock and a hard place :(.

I was also affected by the closing of SATA bank, luckily with only a small amount deposited.

I received an email a couple of weeks ago requesting me to login and enter account details for transferring my remaining balance to another account via SEPA inside EU, which I did. The full amount was credited only a week or so after.

By the way, money was transferred to my account from MFSA, not SATA bank themselves.

That SATA bank was one big laundromat was well known for years. I spoke to one of their larger customers in early 2018 as I was opening an account there and he was well aware how much dirty money was moving through the bank.

Their slogan "With no baggage from the past" in retrospect turned out to be an ominous sign.

Speaking of ominous signs, did anyone notice visiting their office in St Julians how the office toilets opened right into the main room so everyone can see who walks in and out? In interior architecture that is a big no-no and toilet entrances are supposed to be hidden away slightly to afford people some privacy besides just the door. Imagine your account manager flushing and coming out to greet you, fresh after taking a s**t for all to see. With clowns like this running the show, it is no wonder this bank collapsed!

Reactions: Martin Everson
Imagine your account manager flushing and coming out to greet you, fresh after taking a s**t for all to see. With clowns like this running the show, it is no wonder this bank collapsed!
You are drawing bad pictures in my head :oops:

Reactions: Martin Everson
That created a terrible image in my mind also. Need to go wash my hands now.

By the way, money was transferred to my account from MFSA, not SATA bank themselves.

Yes I noticed this too. I suppose it also helps prevent banks automatically rejecting incoming payments from the laundromat called Satabank cry&¤.

For info I haven't received any money yet. Just stopped chasing them.

From when you enter a new iban to get the money transferred out and until when they transfer it can be two weeks. They don't respond to anything during that time :(

Reactions: Bmw850
Update:

Satabank to get new owners

A group of investors have indicated an interest in purchasing the bank, which was ordered to cease business activity by the MFSA last year

A new group of investors have shown an interest in purchasing Satabank, effectively throwing the bank a lifeline.

BusinessToday reported on Thursday that a law will in the next few days be passed to allow the setting up of a company which will be taking over the process of due diligence over dubious bank accounts, subsequently clearing them from banks which are facing situations concerning shortcomings in their operations, such as Satabank.

The bank's administration will remain the job of the competent audit company appointed by the financial regulator - Ernst & Young - but the auditors' scope will be significantly narrowed, the newspaper said.

A senior source close to the Finance Ministry told the newspaper that the fees meted out by Ernst & Young made sense in the preliminary stages, but in the long term would have led to the collapse of Satabank. Once the new owners take over, the costs will be much more reasonable.

While the transition to the new owners takes place, Ernst & Young will be responsible for the necessary supervision.

-----end quote

Reactions: mmueller
Update:

Satabank to get new owners

A group of investors have indicated an interest in purchasing the bank, which was ordered to cease business activity by the MFSA last year

A new group of investors have shown an interest in purchasing Satabank, effectively throwing the bank a lifeline.

BusinessToday reported on Thursday that a law will in the next few days be passed to allow the setting up of a company which will be taking over the process of due diligence over dubious bank accounts, subsequently clearing them from banks which are facing situations concerning shortcomings in their operations, such as Satabank.

The bank's administration will remain the job of the competent audit company appointed by the financial regulator - Ernst & Young - but the auditors' scope will be significantly narrowed, the newspaper said.

A senior source close to the Finance Ministry told the newspaper that the fees meted out by Ernst & Young made sense in the preliminary stages, but in the long term would have led to the collapse of Satabank. Once the new owners take over, the costs will be much more reasonable.

While the transition to the new owners takes place, Ernst & Young will be responsible for the necessary supervision.

-----end quote

So .... anyone feel like depositing some $$$?

I thought of a new slogan for them: "With no baggage from the past, SATA bank is breathing new life into banking" But wait, that was their old one!

So .... anyone feel like depositing some $$$?

I thought of a new slogan for them: "With no baggage from the past, SATA bank is breathing new life into banking" But wait, that was their old one!

rof/%rof/%rof/%

Seriously though this sounds like good news for satabank. I mean I am old school and banked with BPA Andorra ca#"! which turned out to be a complete laundromat from the executives down. When it collapsed my account was moved into new bank Vallbanc and bank was later sold bank to JC Flowers. Today they are a reputable bank so a leopard can change its spots I guess smi(&%.

P.S Talking about slogans the reason I joined BPA bank was that they gave you numbered accounts and their website used to state if I remember correctly that "We take banking secrecy seriously and your account remains a secret between you, the bank and God" eek¤%&.

I today received my refund. For both corporate and private accounts. So I'm quite "happy". Not in terms of all the time I had to spend on the refund, the lost opportunities as my liquidity was seriously limited for almost a year etc. Still its nice to have closure on the issue.

Timeline:

6 weeks ago I received a "payment instructions form" which I filled and uploaded to a specially made UI in their online banking.

Than nothing happened for 4 weeks, so I started to inquire. Turns out that the upload of my attachment did not went through (UI told me it was successful). So I had to re-uplaod everything 2 weeks ago. A week later they send me a message they send out the transfers and today I received them.

Interestingly they admitted their upload form was buggy initially, and on my 2nd attempt it told me my attachmetns where to big, after downsizing it went through. A message that was not present on my first try.

So for everybody past payment form upload, who did not get a reply yet: Start to inquire if your upload was swallowed by bad programming in sliently rejecting too big uploads.

@mbj Did you also complete the form they send to close your account? If not ask for it and make sure your out of the bank completely. The bank was a complete laundromat.

Satabank probe shows suspicious payments by alleged fuel smugglers, lawyer

Latest Threads