Our valued sponsor

Sell gold abroad and transfer funds back to UK

Hello all,

I've been a visitor to these forums for a few weeks now so thought best to say hi.

After reading a thread here about buying and storing gold abroad after buying it with BTC, I took the plunge and started.

My question is, what sort of issues could I run into when I come to sell the gold in the future and have the funds wired directly to my UK HSBC account?

I'm led to believe that gold companies in Singapore, such as Bullionstar, won't routinely speak with anyone, including HMRC, unless ordered by a court. Can this be used to my advantage to bring my funds home. Will my bank simply accept my explanation that I bought the gold with cash savings, converted to BTC?

Thanks.

Reactions: Spinat
Thanks for your reply.

I'm thinking that if I invest in CGT-free gold, like the Sovereign or Britannia, and sell in Singapore, once the money is transferred back to the UK would there be any issues? Would HSBC or HMRC want to see my transaction history with the foreign gold company and how I paid for the gold in the first place?

HSBC UK needs to fullfill their needs - documented source of funds and legality of your transactions - if you have that, you're all set. Of course don't put all your eggs in the HSBC basket. Spread it.

HMRC is interested in collecting your taxes, pay them and be their best friend.

This is basic advice based on generalizations. Your case is always unique to your own circumstances.

However, if it is ML that you're scared about, if you trigger an investigation and you're suspected of ML, it'll be up to you to provide all the necessary proof. You'll be guilty until proven otherwise.

All ML works in the short term, it's your future that is problematic.

Most important information is: how much are you cashing out?

Thanks for your reply.

It will be approximately £5k/month, not a huge amount in comparison to other forum members, but certainly for me.

Would this amount trigger any alarm bells? It's certainly more than my salary.

For info, the cash is not illegal. I've always been a cash saver, and prefer to use cash whenever possible. I lend it to friends and family all the time, making no profit, and receive it back in cash. Recently I've been converting it to BTC and in turn buying gold in an attempt to be able to return my money back to my account so that I can purchase property.

My question is, what sort of issues could I run into when I come to sell the gold in the future and have the funds wired directly to my UK HSBC account?
You never want to wire that money to anywhere! Cash and BTC is the key.

I would normally agree, however what if you need the liquidity of bank funds for a large purchase, such as property?

Having documentation for the gold is no issue, the problem would be documentation for the crypto that was used for the initial gold purchase.

I would normally agree, however what if you need the liquidity of bank funds for a large purchase, such as property?

Having documentation for the gold is no issue, the problem would be documentation for the crypto that was used for the initial gold purchase.
So you simply go to a gold dealer with your credit card, buy gold and sell it again, once you sell it you ask them to send the funds to a bank account of your choice, usually not a problem?

Latest Threads