Our valued sponsor

Singapore company and Foreign Income tax confusion ?

Please update us

Okay so as I previously said, I asked one advisor in Singapore about whether I’d need to pay tax on foreign income remitted into a bank account outside of Singapore and they said this:

"It will be subject to corporate tax in sg. Unless you can show evidence that you are paying corporate tax in another jurisdiction. Revenue regardless from inside or outside Singapore, would be subjected to cooperate tax declaration. From Singapore's end, the declaration still needs to be done.( even if revenue is offshore), then tax authority might have questions if your company setup is in Singapore, however revenue goes to bank account outside sg. You will most likely need to furnish tax declaration if already paying in other jurisdiction. If the tax you are paying overseas is more than SG tax, sg tax will receive tax credits to offset. If not , you will still need to pay corporate tax in SG."

I then sent this reply to another Singapore tax advisor who’d previously told me I wouldn’t need to pay tax, and they responded to specific parts of the other tax advistor’s response :

“It will be subject to corporate tax in sg. Unless you can show evidence that you are paying corporate tax in another jurisdiction.”

Your tax advisor may have said this based on the assumption the foreign income is received in Singapore.

Under Section 10(25) of the Income Tax Act 1947, income from outside Singapore is considered received in Singapore when it is:

• Remitted to, transmitted or brought into Singapore;
  • Used to satisfy any debt incurred in respect of a trade or business carried on in Singapore; or
  • Used to purchase any movable property (such as equipment, raw material, etc.) brought into Singapore.

Evidence required to show corporate tax has been paid in other jurisdiction is to avoid double taxation (i.e. same income tax twice) and claim for Foreign Tax Credit.

“Revenue regardless from inside or outside Singapore, would be subjected to cooperate tax declaration.”

The tax declaration will include the foreign income. However the unremitted portion will be adjusted out when preparing the tax computation (declare but not subject to tax).

“If the tax you are paying overseas is more than SG tax, sg tax will receive tax credits to offset. If not , you will still need to pay corporate tax in SG.”

Companies may claim foreign tax credit (FTC) for tax paid in a foreign jurisdiction against the Singapore tax payable on the same income.

Foreign tax credit is the lower of:

• The actual amount of foreign tax paid; or
  • The amount of Singapore tax attributable to the foreign income (net of expenses).
The claim for foreign tax credit is presented after the corporate tax amount but before net tax payable amount (example as shown below:

Tax payable @ 17% X
Less: Foreign tax credit (X)
Net tax payable X

In summary, the taxation of business income presents a nuanced landscape, intricately influenced by diverse elements, including the organizational structure of your business, the characteristics of your revenue streams, and the tax regulations prevailing in the respective jurisdictions. Our ability to provide more precise guidance hinges on the availability of pertinent documentation.

Reactions: Mercury and uranium
Okay so as I previously said, I asked one advisor in Singapore about whether I’d need to pay tax on foreign income remitted into a bank account outside of Singapore and they said this:

"It will be subject to corporate tax in sg. Unless you can show evidence that you are paying corporate tax in another jurisdiction. Revenue regardless from inside or outside Singapore, would be subjected to cooperate tax declaration. From Singapore's end, the declaration still needs to be done.( even if revenue is offshore), then tax authority might have questions if your company setup is in Singapore, however revenue goes to bank account outside sg. You will most likely need to furnish tax declaration if already paying in other jurisdiction. If the tax you are paying overseas is more than SG tax, sg tax will receive tax credits to offset. If not , you will still need to pay corporate tax in SG."

I then sent this reply to another Singapore tax advisor who’d previously told me I wouldn’t need to pay tax, and they responded to specific parts of the other tax advistor’s response :

“It will be subject to corporate tax in sg. Unless you can show evidence that you are paying corporate tax in another jurisdiction.”

Your tax advisor may have said this based on the assumption the foreign income is received in Singapore.

Under Section 10(25) of the Income Tax Act 1947, income from outside Singapore is considered received in Singapore when it is:

• Remitted to, transmitted or brought into Singapore;
  • Used to satisfy any debt incurred in respect of a trade or business carried on in Singapore; or
  • Used to purchase any movable property (such as equipment, raw material, etc.) brought into Singapore.

Evidence required to show corporate tax has been paid in other jurisdiction is to avoid double taxation (i.e. same income tax twice) and claim for Foreign Tax Credit.

“Revenue regardless from inside or outside Singapore, would be subjected to cooperate tax declaration.”

The tax declaration will include the foreign income. However the unremitted portion will be adjusted out when preparing the tax computation (declare but not subject to tax).

“If the tax you are paying overseas is more than SG tax, sg tax will receive tax credits to offset. If not , you will still need to pay corporate tax in SG.”

Companies may claim foreign tax credit (FTC) for tax paid in a foreign jurisdiction against the Singapore tax payable on the same income.

Foreign tax credit is the lower of:

• The actual amount of foreign tax paid; or
  • The amount of Singapore tax attributable to the foreign income (net of expenses).
The claim for foreign tax credit is presented after the corporate tax amount but before net tax payable amount (example as shown below:

Tax payable @ 17% X
Less: Foreign tax credit (X)
Net tax payable X

In summary, the taxation of business income presents a nuanced landscape, intricately influenced by diverse elements, including the organizational structure of your business, the characteristics of your revenue streams, and the tax regulations prevailing in the respective jurisdictions. Our ability to provide more precise guidance hinges on the availability of pertinent documentation.
Can you share the contact details of your advisor?

I've sent you a DM.

Last edited:
Guys, SG is a premier destination for final holding companies.

You can receive tax free income in SG only if that income was subject to tax eslewhere AND if i'm not mistaken it has to be subject to a minumum taxation percentage.

That doesn't mean that if you don't remit money in SG then you can work for your company from SG and be tax free.

In any case the work has to be performed outside SG.

Reactions: Jbb1 and uranium
Guys, SG is a premier destination for final holding companies.

You can receive tax free income in SG only if that income was subject to tax eslewhere AND if i'm not mistaken it has to be subject to a minumum taxation percentage.

That doesn't mean that if you don't remit money in SG then you can work for your company from SG and be tax free.

In any case the work has to be performed outside SG.
Define minumum taxation percentage

I am in Singapore at the moment and have been told in a face to face meeting with lawyers that the tax is 17% regardless. If your company is a Singapore company.

If you are NOT a Singaporean resident and do NOT own a Singapore company you can bring whatever money, made legally no drugs or ISIS, into Singapore and in a Singapore bank tax free.

Of course you will pay tax elsewhere you made that money.

After reading a s**t ton, there is no universal rule in Singapore that determines when you conducting work inside Singapore. It is a case by case scenario and you basically have to prove and fight your case whether you are sourcing your profits outside Singapore or not.

Basically, if you are working on a laptop in Singapore. You will be taxed, regardless if you everything else happens overseas. If your sending emails in Singapore, you are sourcing your income in Singapore. Never mind if you bring the money to Singapore or not. Never mind if your doing business with Wakanda and receive money from Wakanda to your UAE bank. You will be taxed in Singapore at 17%.

Now the big question that is still not clear to me and I will go to more face to face meetings in the next few weeks is. If I never step foot in Singapore except to set up the company, I only do business with Wakanda and I receive those funds to my UAE bank account, am I taxed?

I will let you know what I find out.

am I taxed?

Yes, either in SG or UAE, depending where the work is performed.

The fact that you setup a company in SG doesn't mean anything, infact that company will not probably tax resident in SG if you don't create substance in SG.

If you want to be exempt from taxation either in SG or UAE you have to show them proof that you pay taxes elsewhere.

UAE is following the SG path, they want to become your final holding hub in middle-east so unless you are ready to show that taxes has been paid somewhere, don't use those destinations for operating companies.

Yes, either in SG or UAE, depending where the work is performed.

The fact that you setup a company in SG doesn't mean anything, infact that company will not probably tax resident in SG if you don't create substance in SG.

If you want to be exempt from taxation either in SG or UAE you have to show them proof that you pay taxes elsewhere.

UAE is following the SG path, they want to become your final holding hub in middle-east so unless you are ready to show that taxes has been paid somewhere, don't use those destinations for operating companies.
what to use instead?

Reactions: Marketint