Question Spanish NIE

Bank Accounts, Company Formations, Tax Planning, Residency Solutions, and more
CALL US ON +971 50 4467827 - TO SETUP YOUR NON-CRS COMPANY STRUCTURE IN DUBAI.

sriracha

It is my intention to live a few months in Spain, so I am looking for an apartment. I talked to a realtor and he told me that I would need a NIE to sign a contract. This NIE thing is basically a document where you register with the police, basically you say “I’m a foreigner and I live in Spain now”.
I am afraid that this, combined with my renting an apartment for a year, could be interpreted as being a fiscal resident of Spain….is it so?

I am at liberty of taking trips abroad so to stay less than 183 days in Spain, but I don’t want to try my luck…

JackAlabama

Entrepreneur
It is my intention to live a few months in Spain, so I am looking for an apartment. I talked to a realtor and he told me that I would need a NIE to sign a contract. This NIE thing is basically a document where you register with the police, basically you say “I’m a foreigner and I live in Spain now”.
I am afraid that this, combined with my renting an apartment for a year, could be interpreted as being a fiscal resident of Spain….is it so?

I am at liberty of taking trips abroad so to stay less than 183 days in Spain, but I don’t want to try my luck…
Stay in airbnbs or let your spanish friend rent it for you. Having a whole year contract is already a well established tie to a country. So you would need to prepare your case with evidence your life centre is not there and you are out enough to not add risk there which may or may not hit you.

You need nie for everything admin related, like having a company etc. It does not necessarily imply you live there.
I have a nie since many years, but never had any issues bc of it, (bc I clearly did not live there in a way residency could have been constructed).

sriracha

Stay in airbnbs or let your spanish friend rent it for you. Having a whole year contract is already a well established tie to a country. So you would need to prepare your case with evidence your life centre is not there and you are out enough to not add risk there which may or may not hit you.

You need nie for everything admin related, like having a company etc. It does not necessarily imply you live there.
I have a nie since many years, but never had any issues bc of it, (bc I clearly did not live there in a way residency could have been constructed).
Thanks Jack, great advice. You also say that you do have a NIE - so the idea is to get that but not a rental contract right? How about having a car?

JackAlabama

Entrepreneur
Thanks Jack, great advice. You also say that you do have a NIE - so the idea is to get that but not a rental contract right? How about having a car?
Also better renting that from a friend (or shop which a friend of you can negotiate with).
If you can buy a car without a residence permit, afaik I heard its somehow possible with getting some sort of local residence status but not sure about it. I could get all things needed thru local contacts, so no need for any of this. If youre from euro, you can bring your car from home and drive on your home plate. Many do this and clearly shows youre a tourist.

Idk why you need the nie (I needed it for some investment in a company as shareholder).

sriracha

Also better renting that from a friend (or shop which a friend of you can negotiate with).
If you can buy a car without a residence permit, afaik I heard its somehow possible with getting some sort of local residence status but not sure about it. I could get all things needed thru local contacts, so no need for any of this. If youre from euro, you can bring your car from home and drive on your home plate. Many do this and clearly shows youre a tourist.

Idk why you need the nie (I needed it for some investment in a company as shareholder).
Friend said agencies will only work with you with a NIE - moot point if letting a friend rent for me.

TheCryptoAnt

Entrepreneur
Friend said agencies will only work with you with a NIE - moot point if letting a friend rent for me.

luap

You should have a NIE but I had no problem getting people to rent me an apartment with just a passport, and I know others who did the same.

Latest Threads