Our valued sponsor

Starling Bank

Does anybody here have any experience with Starling Bank?

Our type of business isn't explicitly mentioned in the terms and conditions, but would naturally fall under the high-risk category. I'm thinking about applying for an account with them.

Also, it's written on the website that business loans are only available for businesses that have been active for 24 months. However, from talking to their reps on the phone it seems that there may be some leeway there if they like the business plan, and apparently they're all done on a case-by-case basis. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I wouldn't use Starling with anything high risk. They're fine to work with but not suitable for a high risk business.

The sales rep is just being a sales rep. They get commission if you're successful. Nothing happens if you're declined. There is no incentive for them in being realistic about your chances.

There's no harm in trying, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Reactions: jafo
I wouldn't use Starling with anything high risk. They're fine to work with but not suitable for a high risk business.

The sales rep is just being a sales rep. They get commission if you're successful. Nothing happens if you're declined. There is no incentive for them in being realistic about your chances.

There's no harm in trying, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Are there any high risk banks that you could recommend for a UK-based business?

I'm not entirely sure if you live in the UK or not. But if you do, I would spend time making a good business plan, contacting some lawyers and getting them to help you open a bank account for your business. Many lawyers have good connections with the banks, so that could be an option.

I use Starling for domestic stuff but as @Sols says, I wouldn't use for high risk business activities. I've even had a number of SEPA payments "withheld for review", even though these payments have been made every month for several years. Nowadays their customer service is slow and the app even slower. it was the cool kid on the block but not any longer IMHO

Reactions: jafo
Stay away from Starling, find high street banks which will be able to serve properly. Starling blocking accounts very easy, we are even not talking about high risk.
With regular business? what business are you into?

If you are a frequent travel Starling bank is a must have. You will love their card. No fees when you use it abroad and that includes cash withdrawals. Saves you plenty on fees.
Agreed, good for domestic use and 0.4% EUR-GBP conversions from their free EUR account but as soon as money starts rolling in from Europe then questions are asked. My payment's from EU members such as Lithuania and Croatia were regularly stopped which proved to me that they have an aversion to Eastern Europe.

Latest Threads