Our valued sponsor

Tax residence in Panama but living in a different country

wdf123

Feb 27, 2021
BR
Visit site
Hi.

So, I've been thinking about moving my tax residence over to Panama but, on a personal level, I'd like to physically live somewhere else. I'm aware that most of the countries would only allow me to stay for ~6 months if I'm not a tax residence, but I thought of asking: do you know some exceptions to the rule? I mean, places where I could be non-tax resident but still allowed to stay longer than ~6 months?

Hi.

So, I've been thinking about moving my tax residence over to Panama but, on a personal level, I'd like to physically live somewhere else. I'm aware that most of the countries would only allow me to stay for ~6 months if I'm not a tax residence, but I thought of asking: do you know some exceptions to the rule? I mean, places where I could be non-tax resident but still allowed to stay longer than ~6 months?
Someone posted a thread recently with a list of all the zero tax nations.

BTW: Be sure to seek advice from a Panamanian lawyer. There is a great deal of misinformation on the web about Panamanian tax residency. Many sites claim that permanent residency automatically creates tax residency status. Other sites say the following:

Tax Residency and Tax Certificate

Becoming a permanent resident will not automatically make you a tax resident in Panama. The terms of becoming a tax resident are stated in article 762-N of the Tax Code, executive decree 958 of 2016, issued by Dirección General de Ingresos.

In order to be considered a tax resident, you need to meet either one of the following criteria:
  • be present in Panama for more than 183 calendar days in a tax year or the year immediately preceding.
  • show proof that you have established your permanent home in Panama

I do not know what is true, but be sure you seek accurate information from a professional.

Last edited: