Our valued sponsor

Tax residence Italy, why

If you have an annual tax bill of 100k why would you be fighting with the state?

Also why not simply move to a territorial tax nation and operate your concerns on auto whilst not being taxed? Or minimal tax?

If you have an annual tax bill of 100k why would you be fighting with the state?
I pay it in order not to fight (even more) with the state.
Also why not simply move to a territorial tax nation and operate your concerns on auto whilst not being taxed? Or minimal tax?
I don’t live in Italy.

Reactions: jafo

I don't know about @JohnnyDoe , but I have an Italian friend who is from Firenze. He married his long-time Brazilian girlfriend in 2008 in Brazil. He moved to the Northeast of Brazil in 2008 after the financial meltdown. Agenzia Delle Entrate continues to claim he lives in Italy notwithstanding he hasn't been in Italy for +15 years, has no property in Italy, no bank accounts in Italy etc etc. He hasn't landed in Europe for +15 years. He regularly goes to Asia but flies through Dubai.

PS. He's in the haute couture fashion industry and cumulatively, he and his company were paying Agenzia Delle Entrate over €10M a year in taxes. I guess ADE doesn't want to grant him the "divorce".

PSS. In 2007, when he was planning this, I told him to pick up his things and vanish! Don't exit, don't file paperwork, don't telegraph his next move. Guess what? His Italian lawyers and accountants told him I was insane....and they have now earned millions of euros "defending" him. stupi#21 Meanwhile, Italy continues to make ~50% of everything he is paying the "professionals" in Italy to "defend" him against the state. :rolleyes: Some people NEVER learn! doh948""

• Wow
Reactions: JimBeam
I don't know about @JohnnyDoe , but I have an Italian friend who is from Firenze. He married his long-time Brazilian girlfriend in 2008 in Brazil. He moved to the Northeast of Brazil in 2008 after the financial meltdown. Agenzia Delle Entrate continues to claim he lives in Italy notwithstanding he hasn't been in Italy for +15 years, has no property in Italy, no bank accounts in Italy etc etc. He hasn't landed in Europe for +15 years. He regularly goes to Asia but flies through Dubai.

PS. He's in the haute couture fashion industry and cumulatively, he and his company were paying Agenzia Delle Entrate over €10M a year in taxes. I guess ADE doesn't want to grant him the "divorce".

PSS. In 2007, when he was planning this, I told him to pick up his things and vanish! Don't exit, don't file paperwork, don't telegraph his next move. Guess what? His Italian lawyers and accountants told him I was insane....and they have now earned millions of euros "defending" him. stupi#21 Meanwhile, Italy continues to make ~50% of everything he is paying the "professionals" in Italy to "defend" him against the state. :rolleyes: Some people NEVER learn! doh948""
That is the case if you are Italian citizen. In such case yes countries hunt their own citizens. Same situation for me in other EU country. However, I have been released out their net after years of litigation and large payment in taxes..
In reality countries try to tax you based on your citizenship if they have some legal chance doing so. The main tie to country is citizenship.
As I understand this italian lump sum tax is some kind of settlement with the government to backoff?

To be fair, Italians are masters of tax evasion

During the boom years nobody paid any taxes at all (that's where that huge wealth of Italians comes from).
Nowadays the country is plagued by its huge public spending on old people, boomer pensions and healthcare.

People there live well only if they behave dishonestly, personally i don't like that kind of mindset.
I prefer a state where people pay a honest amount of taxes and then can live free.

That's why i live only in low tax countries and i will never invest a single euro in Italy.

To be fair, Italians are masters of tax evasion

During the boom years nobody paid any taxes at all (that's where that huge wealth of Italians comes from).
Nowadays the country is plagued by its huge public spending on old people, boomer pensions and healthcare.

People there live well only if they behave dishonestly, personally i don't like that kind of mindset.
I prefer a state where people pay a honest amount of taxes and then can live free.

That's why i live only in low tax countries and i will never invest a single euro in Italy.
I totally agree. However, there are countries with 0% tax, but sometimes 0% tax is just in real shitholes. Some very remote and poor islands.

Sounds like Spain too, every mf with money I knew during my years there was finessing the Hacienda hard.

On a different note, a yearly tax bill of 100k to be left alone is not bad, and it could potentially be a solution to the current issues crypto traders are experiencing in Dubai.

@JohnnyDoe , any thoughts on this? Greece offers a similar tax deal, but I'm unsure about the quality of life there, as the infrastructure seems poorer compared to Italy.

Same situation for me in other EU country
Sadly, I have so many clients (purchasers of goods for resale) who have shared with me a similar personal story. Same story, same tactic, just different countries. cry&¤
I'm really sorry some of you have had to endure this displeasure, but if it weren't for these types of personal stories I would have fallen prey too. :oops:

As I understand this italian lump sum tax is some kind of settlement with the government to backoff?
only if you have been legally residing abroad for min. 10 years

On a different note, a yearly tax bill of 100k to be left alone is not bad, and it could potentially be a solution to the current issues crypto traders are experiencing in Dubai.

@JohnnyDoe , any thoughts on this?
Indeed it’s a very good option for crypto investors and it also serves to pass all sort of DD with banks/exchanges.
Greece offers a similar tax deal, but I'm unsure about the quality of life there, as the infrastructure seems poorer compared to Italy.
Greece is nice, the deal is almost identical but the language can be an issue.
However, Italy is nicer.

For 100k/year lump sum you can also make deal similar amount in Switzerland lump sum in Lugano. Swiss lump sum covers all income foreign and local.
Italy program only covers foreign passive income. If you trade cryptos you still pay income tax in Italy!
100k not enough in switzerland. min is more about 200 these days, unless their economy turns down sharply.

Latest Threads