Our valued sponsor

Tax residency in a territorial country + div-paying stocks in UK which has 0% withholding tax...?

WorldCitizen99

Member Plus
Feb 12, 2022
Mexico
Visit site
Have I got this right?
Let's say I establish tax residency in a territorial tax country in, say, Guatemala.
Then I get an Interactive Brokers account (using Guatemalan residency) and buy dividend-paying stocks on a stock exchange in a country that does not withhold tax on dividends, e.g. UK. (The Deloitte tax sheet says 'dividends from UK companies')
Have I just generated dividend income tax-free or is it subject to the 5% tax on dividends for residents of Guat bc the brokerage acct is based in Guat?

Have I got this right?
Let's say I establish tax residency in a territorial tax country in, say, Guatemala.
Then I get an Interactive Brokers account (using Guatemalan residency) and buy dividend-paying stocks on a stock exchange in a country that does not withhold tax on dividends, e.g. UK. (The Deloitte tax sheet says 'dividends from UK companies')
Have I just generated dividend income tax-free or is it subject to the 5% tax on dividends for residents of Guat bc the brokerage acct is based in Guat?
It's not the stock exchange that matters but where the companies are resident. If you buy UK companies stock then no tax in the UK. Not sure about the details in Guatamala laws.