Our valued sponsor

Thoughts on Dominican Republic?

wellington

Mentor Group Gold
Nov 14, 2020
Visit site
Considering longer term (lived on islands now for a long time - usually connected by bridges etc to mainland with their own airfields etc).

Never been to DR, but thinking about the future (wife with two little ones) - education etc.

DR gives me a bit of what i have already, but is a switch from Asian to Western (if anything like the bahamas etc).

It's bigger than little caymans (which did appeal) though less civilised from what i see than Barbados.

Only issue not so sure on young education (older private boarding europe/us/asia)

Its (IMO) safe spot for any conflict(s) in the future.

Not one hundred % on citizenship after so many years (possible?) i know you can buy.

It's great. I'm a citizen by birth. While I would not live in Santo Domingo... the rest is amazing. Feel free to AMA via TG. Ideologically speaking, DR is a free country, pro-business, pro-money. While it's true that the people are not "very civilized", they are the kind that will revolt against tyranny, and won't take authoritarian, anti business BS from government. Regarding education, I studied in a top tier school that enabled me to go to uni in the US. There are many.

„In the case of individuals who become residents, this foreign-source income is taxed only after the third year.“

When do you become a resident?

If you don't mind about DR crime rates than yes, it could be a nice place to be.
U.S. State Department: “The wide availability of weapons, the use and trade of illicit drugs, and a weak criminal justice system contribute to the high level of criminality [in the Dominican Republic].”

„It’s also worth noting that the Dominican Republic’s risk of natural disasters is higher than in many other places, and the nation is susceptible to environmental calamity, including hurricanes, tropical storms and depressions, earthquakes, floods, droughts, and other forms of extreme weather. Hurricanes, in particular, are frequent, and many Dominican buildings are not erected to code.“

Last edited:
If you don't mind about DR crime rates than yes, it could be a nice place to be.
It’s as safe as any other normal country. Just avoid those places where you have no good reason to go and don’t get into arguments with locals.

„In the case of individuals who become residents, this foreign-source income is taxed only after the third year.“

When do you become a resident?
When you have a residence permit
U.S. State Department: “The wide availability of weapons, the use and trade of illicit drugs, and a weak criminal justice system contribute to the high level of criminality [in the Dominican Republic].”

„It’s also worth noting that the Dominican Republic’s risk of natural disasters is higher than in many other places, and the nation is susceptible to environmental calamity, including hurricanes, tropical storms and depressions, earthquakes, floods, droughts, and other forms of extreme weather. Hurricanes, in particular, are frequent, and many Dominican buildings are not erected to code.“
The guy who wrote this has never been in the DR. Or made confusion with Florida.

Reactions: Marzio