Our valued sponsor

Two Men Found Guilty of Conspiracy to Sell Sanctioned Iranian Petroleum

jakonda

Member Plus
Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
TL;DR - (1.) Two guys from Texas were convicted because they were trying to sell Iranian oil. IMO super naive and amateurish approach by trying to use a Polish Ltd. as a front co. (2.) I am surprised with quite harsh penalty - 45 years in prison while at the same time you have tanker owners providing 'the service' for all kind of counter parties, being listed on all these sanctions trackers, IFMAT lists, etc. and nothing is happening. (3.) wondering if anyone went to prison by trying to sell Venezuelan crude and now with US lifting the sanction, they should also revers the court decision.

Zhenyu “Bill” Wang, 42, of Dallas, and Daniel Ray Lane, 42, of McKinney, Texas, were convicted at trial on Nov. 15 on charges of attempting to violate the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), conspiracy to violate IEEPA, and conspiracy to commit money laundering in connection with their attempt to transact in sanctioned Iranian petroleum and launder the proceeds.
According to evidence presented at trial, in 2019 and early 2020, the defendants engaged in a conspiracy to purchase petroleum from Iran, in violation of economic sanctions imposed by the United States under IEEPA. They then planned to mask the origins of the petroleum and sell it to a refinery in China. The defendants also attempted to conceal their illegal transactions by obtaining foreign passports, engaging in sham contractual agreements, and conspiring to launder the proceeds of the sale through shell entities and offshore financial accounts. For example, Lane offered to use the mineral rights that his company sold to launder proceeds for the Iranian sellers. In addition, Wang arranged for bribe payments to be paid the Chinese officials and bankers.
“These defendants schemed to buy Iranian oil, hide its origins, and sell it to a refinery in China in disregard of U.S. sanctions against Iran,” said Assistant Attorney General Matthew G. Olsen of the Justice Department’s National Security Division. “The Justice Department will not tolerate those who would violate U.S. sanctions and imperil our national security for personal profit.”
“The defendants in this case flouted the national security interests of the United States by directly violating economic sanctions,” said U.S. Attorney Jacqueline C. Romero for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. “Conspiring to violate sanctions and commit money laundering in the process is a serious offense and will not be tolerated.”
“For financial gain, these co-conspirators sought to evade sanctions put in place to protect the United States’ national security,” said Acting Special Agent in Charge Richard Langham of the FBI Philadelphia Field Office. “A criminally bad idea, as this verdict clearly shows. The FBI will bring all our investigative resources to the table to halt such harmful acts.”
Wang and Lane, as well as three co-conspirators, were originally charged by complaint in February 2020, and the defendants and two co-conspirators were indicted on the above charges in August 2020. Wang and Lane face each a maximum penalty of 45 years in prison: five years for conspiracy to violate IEEPA and 20 years for each attempting to violate the IEEPA and conspiracy to commit money laundering counts. The defendants are scheduled to be sentenced on Feb. 29, 2024.
The FBI investigated the case.
Assistant U.S. Attorneys Patrick Murray and Mary Crawley for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania are prosecuting the case, with valuable assistance provided by Trial Attorney Beau Barnes of the National Security Division’s Counterintelligence and Export Control Section.

Links

Maybe some guys from OCT :eek::D:p
Naahhhhh...they went to trial. All cards are on deck. I always buy trial transcripts and they are usually NOT for sale...despite what the land of the free claims. But when there is a will, there is always a way ;)

PS. An exercise in reality I recommend to everyone: Read an indictment (Grand jury transcripts are sealed and will NEVER be released...EVER) and then juxtapose the indictment to the trial transcripts. It's night vs day! Prepare to be blown away when you go down this rabbit hole.

Reactions: wellington
interesting world we live in - quite a penalty considering they didn't cause any harm to anyone, just disobeyed mafia
1) The US has a push for white collar crime (this is a pen-paper-digital crime) whilst the streets are running rampant with drugs, and drive by shootings.
2) Punishments (lengthy) compared to murder.
3) US benefits on longer punishments due to privatised prison system (number goes up - GDP).

Naahhhhh...they went to trial. All cards are on deck. I always buy trial transcripts and they are usually NOT for sale...despite what the land of the free claims. But when there is a will, there is always a way ;)

PS. An exercise in reality I recommend to everyone: Read an indictment (Grand jury transcripts are sealed and will NEVER be released...EVER) and then juxtapose the indictment to the trial transcripts. It's night vs day! Prepare to be blown away when you go down this rabbit hole.
I did that for years trying to understand (read tea leaves) on US stance for crypto enterprises.

What i've found is that each case contradicts another case and anything and everything is used to get a conviction, in addition, there are no qualms with 'finding crime' to add on to cases.

Reactions: jafo
Wang and Lane face each a maximum penalty of 45 years in prison: five years for conspiracy to violate IEEPA and 20 years for each attempting to violate the IEEPA and conspiracy to commit money laundering counts. The defendants are scheduled to be sentenced on Feb. 29, 2024.

You cannot break US laws as the US does not play around.

Bottom line don't commit crime and especially not in US. Equally important is to avoid any US nexus and bypass the US dollar and you wont be subject to this mess.

Reactions: jafo
I did that for years trying to understand (read tea leaves) on US stance for crypto enterprises.

What i've found is that each case contradicts another case and anything and everything is used to get a conviction, in addition, there are no qualms with 'finding crime' to add on to cases.
#Bingo!
1700755705032.png

smi(&%

Latest Threads