Our valued sponsor

Question UAE: Can you find out who owner/shareholder is behind FZ company?

brimstone

Aug 30, 2019
Visit site
As title states, is it possible to find out who the owners/shareholders are behind a UAE free-zone company (specifically RAKEZ ) when you know the company name and address?

@rowena @CaptK

Reason why I am asking is because I have a FZ company and I am wondering how robuust it is regarding privacy (not for tax reasons).

If you use the Thread Prefix "Question" you must make it a question thread.. just changed it for you!

Reactions: brimstone
@CaptK Not really 100% company related question but it's also regarding privacy in the UAE: If you know someone's full name and the Emirate that they are located, is there any possible way to find out the address where they live?

There is no residency register and there are no personal mailboxes, mail is delivered by courier, typically to an office address or PO box. So I’d say no, unless if you can somehow get the address from a bank.

Reactions: brimstone and CaptK
It's far better then any other entity you can find for a low budget in regards to privacy & tax matters. Anyone will find it very difficult if not impossible to get any information out of such a company setup.

Reactions: brimstone and CaptK
@CaptK Not really 100% company related question but it's also regarding privacy in the UAE: If you know someone's full name and the Emirate that they are located, is there any possible way to find out the address where they live?
No, they can't find out anything about you.

The trick we have learnt is to use a company with an Arabic name. It could be anything we normally choose birds.

People rarely look at the company if it has an Arabic name. But for real anonymity over there spend a couple extra thousand for a local LLC. You need a sponsor but then you put him on the website as the owner.(it's the truth).

No one even bothers to check after you put that info out there.

Reactions: RRR and brimstone
As title states, is it possible to find out who the owners/shareholders are behind a UAE free-zone company (specifically RAKEZ ) when you know the company name and address?

@rowena @CaptK

Reason why I am asking is because I have a FZ company and I am wondering how robuust it is regarding privacy (not for tax reasons).

Regarding Freezone companies. They are issued with an annual licence. This document is so widely available and commonly requested that it is Not considered private and on that Licence it shows the names of the Owner/ Owners and also the Manager.. If as most Freezones are singular owner/shareholder and manager then that name is easily found out..
A policy may exist that each freezone does not disclose this data and thus your privacy is protected . However a quick call to each freezone with the company name comes up with the name of the manager.. The legal responsible person on the licence for that company. This information is a requirement to any authority and also any company who wants to engage in business with you. This cannot be hidden. ( I have lived in the country for many years and know what can and does happen in reality )

In the case or RAKEZ, They are adamant especially for their Offshore register is secure and never divulged.
In reality that is also not secure either.. My company registered there has a nominee shareholder and I have just been shown that information by a Hong Kong based company.. No one outside of RAKEZ other than myself and the nominee knows about this structure!! Hmmm..
So in practice Its not secure even for RAKEZ offshore, which is deemed to be quite secure compared to other UAE structures.

As a word of caution do not believe the assurances of agents who are setting up UAE companies for you.
Just plan for challenges and mitigate those.. if you want a greater level of privacy.

There are very smart people on this forum and there is already a lot of resource already on the forum pages to research and review.. do lots of digging for information. As only you will know what will be secure enough for you.

FYI, in UAE to do anything you need to show your Emirates ID (which also has your passport information) or passport, Work ID card or if you are a manager or owner of a company then the company licence copy.. These sets of documents are needed for anything and everything..
They contain everything you need to know about a person, Except the physical home address, as PO Boxes are used for all registration purposes.
So be aware privacy is not something built into the physche in the middle east. Its just good marketing policy.

Cynical but a reality in that world.

@Hanif knowing what you know, how would you approach to get the highest level of privacy in the UAE with feezone company? Any extra moats to make it more difficult for anyone to find out?
Hi,
One of your options are multiple layers just as you will see often suggested here on the forum.
However I strongly suggest you read a lot of what is already shared by others.
You need to see what suits your needs before you will find the right direction.
Responses from others seeking privacy is the way to start and to then apply to your circumstances and needs.
At that point you will be able to ask for the right advice and specific questions on how to do X or Y.
As you could see from my own experience I thought I had a layer of protection with a Nominee in a secure location. But that also has holes in it.. Its part of the culture in the UAE and region.. Privacy is Not built in, Its Good marketing thats all. As its not part of their general philosophy then its will never be a line they will stand firm on.. a few $$$$ will get you anything..

Reactions: erni and brimstone
Regarding Freezone companies. They are issued with an annual licence. This document is so widely available and commonly requested that it is Not considered private and on that Licence it shows the names of the Owner/ Owners and also the Manager.. If as most Freezones are singular owner/shareholder and manager then that name is easily found out..
A policy may exist that each freezone does not disclose this data and thus your privacy is protected . However a quick call to each freezone with the company name comes up with the name of the manager.. The legal responsible person on the licence for that company. This information is a requirement to any authority and also any company who wants to engage in business with you. This cannot be hidden. ( I have lived in the country for many years and know what can and does happen in reality )

In the case or RAKEZ, They are adamant especially for their Offshore register is secure and never divulged.
In reality that is also not secure either.. My company registered there has a nominee shareholder and I have just been shown that information by a Hong Kong based company.. No one outside of RAKEZ other than myself and the nominee knows about this structure!! Hmmm..
So in practice Its not secure even for RAKEZ offshore, which is deemed to be quite secure compared to other UAE structures.

As a word of caution do not believe the assurances of agents who are setting up UAE companies for you.
Just plan for challenges and mitigate those.. if you want a greater level of privacy.

There are very smart people on this forum and there is already a lot of resource already on the forum pages to research and review.. do lots of digging for information. As only you will know what will be secure enough for you.

FYI, in UAE to do anything you need to show your Emirates ID (which also has your passport information) or passport, Work ID card or if you are a manager or owner of a company then the company licence copy.. These sets of documents are needed for anything and everything..
They contain everything you need to know about a person, Except the physical home address, as PO Boxes are used for all registration purposes.
So be aware privacy is not something built into the physche in the middle east. Its just good marketing policy.

Cynical but a reality in that world.
Yes but still it's getting very difficult if not impossible to get a bank account these days with Freezone companies as compared to Dubai Freezone companies. I live here most of the time but currently out of UAE for vacations.

Latest Threads