Our valued sponsor

UAE: Emirates ID to replace residency visas in passports, says report

troubled soul

Pro Member
Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
"Expatriates in the UAE will soon no longer require residency visas to be stamped on their passports."

"This will be applicable for residency documents issued after April 11"

Great Move.

Last edited:
I hope this will allow me to renew kids visa without going all the way to Fujairah from Dubai. Currently it works like that: I go to Fujairah typing center next to immigration office. They fill all the paperwork and then I go to immigration office to get the stamp in the passport. They did not want to let me into the immigration office as, although I am vaccinated, my last PCR test was taken like 200 days ago and they require it to be taken in the last 14 days... But they took my child's passport and came back after 15 mins with visa stamped.

I just hope it will save me the hassle of going to Fujairah in the future. The roads are excellent, the desert views not bad either and you can see lots of camels on the way, but it is just a pain to sit there in Fujairah typing center waiting for the guys to do it, getting the approvals etc.

Reactions: troubled soul
What's that Visa sticker ?
Before this, They stamp sticker (Residence Visa) on passport. Now That process are not required. It reduce to timing.
If I am not wrong, You just come to Dubai only for your medical / biometric purpose. If you apply remotely and use express service. whole process can done in few hours (If planned properly). Even do not require to spend a full day in Dubai. Your service provider will courier your "Emirate Id" that's it. You are becoming a Dubai resident (On paper ;););))

Reactions: wasted and yeongsu

Step-by-step guide to getting residency under new process​

> The process starts with procuring a work permit for an expatriate from Mohre

> The work permit allows the holder to enter the UAE for employment, and it is valid for two months from the date of issue

> After the employee enters the UAE based on the work permit, the sponsoring company arranges to complete the formalities of medical testing, obtaining the Emirates ID, and labour card

> The work residency permit on the employee’s passport denotes that he is sponsored by the company he is employed in

> After this process, the employee can support their family members

> The Emirates ID - which recently received a significant upgrade - constants all relevant residency-related information on the visa sticker. The new generation of Emirates ID contains personal and professional data, the issuing entity and other readable data via an e-link system

> Once all processes are complete, the Emirates ID is delivered to the applicant

> Since the delivery might take time, applicants can view a digital version of the Emirates ID on the ICP’s smartphone application - ICPUAE - which is available for download on Apple as well as Android devices

> The pink-coloured residency sticker continues to be available virtually via the ICP app

> Residents can get their residency details in a printed format with the authority’s stamp via the app or the website

Reactions: khinkali
Please be informed that, based on the recent directives of the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs-Dubai (GDRFA), physical submission and stamping of passports are still required processes for UAE Residence Visa Applications.

Residence Visa Stamping to Passport is BACK - we got the Information from Immigration today 8:30 AM.

Please be informed that, based on the recent directives of the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs-Dubai (GDRFA), physical submission and stamping of passports are still required processes for UAE Residence Visa Applications.

Residence Visa Stamping to Passport is BACK - we got the Information from Immigration today 8:30 AM.
How long does the stamping usually take these days? Do they take the passport and you sit and wait or it's more like you go somewhere and get it done?

How long does the stamping usually take these days? Do they take the passport and you sit and wait or it's more like you go somewhere and get it done?
It's taking 1-2 business days - Ramadan slow things down.

Thay had issues with voiding the Visa Stamping so let's see if the old process is temporary or at then end of the days just a lot bla bla but nothing changes - which wouldn't be unusual.

Reactions: Au999 and JohnDones
So it's still like a 3-4 days stay requirement right?
Let's see if they're keeping this permanent or not.
Timewise nothing changed even without stamping - the stamp is put in 5 minutes however GoV works slow due to Ramadan.

The real advantage was that the passport was all the time with you and of course we as a provider need to have more men power collecting and delivering the passports to your doorstep within Dubai.

Reactions: yeongsu

Latest Threads