Our valued sponsor

UK company - data protection fee?

JamesDonkey

Pro Member
Sep 27, 2021
Aaa
Visit site
I'm not a UK resident. I have a UK Ltd

I received an mail which says that I may have to pay a data protection fee. A checker is at Registration self-assessment It's around 60 Gbp.

I do software development at the moment. And probably will be doing e-commerce and lead-gen in the **near** future, maybe other things too, which very well may involve user registration at my web sites.

In a certain sense I do, or will, store and process customer's data. In other sense - not, because it may be defined loosely, or hard, I guess, to define and prove.

Or at least, **at the very present moment** - I am not, because I do only software development.

Do I have to pay that? Have you, those who have Uk Ltd-s, have the same mail too? What will you do?
Is the UK government more concerned about UK residents - UK customers and business runners-residents - perhaps, in this case, and not those who aren't residents?

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't bother with it at the moment.

It's just a money-grabbing scheme, one of the most pointless things I've ever come across.

The problem arises, as I found out, is when you pay it for one year, realise it's garbage and don't bother renewing it, then they try to fine you.

If you never sign up in the first place, there are no problems.

If you start selling leads you generate to others, I'd probably sign up just to avoid an idiot customer complaining to the ICO etc.

If you start selling leads you generate to others, I'd probably sign up just to avoid an idiot customer complaining to the ICO etc.

* why would I sign up now if I might, or might now, to begin to do lead gen? I don't know - when and whether.
* in what sense "sell leads"? It's also can be defined loosly. I can capture leads emails, grab some of their info - yes... but I may do it via Facebook forms, or any other forms -- 3rd party.

Or I can use Facebook pixel without explicitly capturing anything.

Or, indeed, I could also do it via mine website, written by me from scratch and keep data in my database only.

--

All in all, they - ICO - would only found that I should've signed up for this service if one of my customers or leads complained to them about me? And if none of them did, then - all would be good?

---

I also don't want to pay for useless s**t like this.
One would say - but 40 gbp isn't too much! Why would use risk being fined 4000 gbp? Better pay, it's only 40 gbp.
Why would I pay for air, even if it was 1 cent?

I think that if that data stays only with you, you don't have to pay for it. If you use this data in such a way that it can get to other people, then by law you have to pay a data protection fee. Also, if data is lost, you can restore it with salvagedata.com until the customer decides to sue you. It's a very difficult topic because there are a lot of details that can help you, or play against you. However, there is an article in the law that requires the protection of information, I advise you to find this information or talk to a lawyer to protect yourself from mistakes.

Latest Threads