Our valued sponsor

UK is making my citizenship by descent application impossible....

WorldCitizen99

Member Plus
Feb 12, 2022
Mexico
Visit site
Need some advice from experienced forum members....
Dad born in Scotland. I was born in Canada.
I am a British citizen by descent according to criteria on gov.uk.
Applied in February/2022. Sent all the documents requested.
I lost my *original* birth certificate in the past.
Ordered a replacement from province I was born in. Have used this in another passport application and no problem so far.
Sent it to Her Majesty's Passport Office.
They told me if I cannot produce the *original* birth certificate
then I must send in the original hospital records of my birth or
some other documents like original vaccination record.
My parents have none of these.
This is discrimination against people who were born long ago and don't have all these documents but can easily prove they are descended from Brits.
Called the hospital where I was born - they will only send photocopies of the admission.
HMPO does not accept photocopies of any kind.
Went throught the list of alternative documents they will accept in lieu of original BC
Pretty much only thing I can send are photos of my family over several yrs until my parents got divorced.
I am British and I should be entitled to claim my citizenship and get a passport and I am being prevented from doing so bc I dont have the original BC??
Why are they asking me to prove that I was born. If they think I was able to forge every other document, why wouldn't I be able to forge my hospital records?
I thought of finding an immigration lawyer who works near one of the passport offices and might know someone on the inside who might be able to give me some leeway on these draconian rules
Anyone know how I can get around this?

I thought of finding an immigration lawyer who works near one of the passport offices and might know someone on the inside who might be able to give me some leeway on these draconian rules
Anyone know how I can get around this?

The UK passport office is a bureaucracy and in last few years has created a very hostile environment I can tell you. I know people personally who live in UK and whose children have a British passport already and when they went to just renew it where asked for birth certificate from the father to prove they are British - for an existing British passport holder living in UK!!!

That being said in your case there is no inside connections method when it comes to this in UK its not a banana republic....yet. One thing you can check is whether your dad registered your birth at the British Embassy in Canada. Parents often do this when in a foreign country as its wise to do so. The British embassy in Canada would keep it on record which is useful. Also now they actually issue a document that makes it easy to later apply for a passport. I don't know if they started this when you were born but worth checking.

If that fails I would speak to Citizens Advice in Scotland and explain your situation. It's free and they can often point you in right direction as they most probably will have dealt with similar situations before.

Reactions: WorldCitizen99
@Martin Everson provided some good advice. Anything to do with UK Home Office is difficult unless you follow their processes to the letter. You may want to speak to an immigration attorney in the UK, as they may be able to assist you in your application and if worst comes to worst, they could launch an appeal on your behalf. I know of quite a few immigration cases that have been won on appeal. There are plenty of links if you Google it.

@Martin Everson provided some good advice. Anything to do with UK Home Office is difficult unless you follow their processes to the letter. You may want to speak to an immigration attorney in the UK, as they may be able to assist you in your application and if worst comes to worst, they could launch an appeal on your behalf. I know of quite a few immigration cases that have been won on appeal. There are plenty of links if you Google it.
I may have to go that route. I put a lot of time and effort into this and I'm willing to spend a couple thousand pounds to finish if I have to. They are asking me for pictures of me and my parents from birth to current age. Are they f***'in trolling me? Do they have software that will analyze whether the various pics at various ages are the same person? Do they even know what my father looks like in order to make a judgement? And they could have told me months ago that the birth certificate was inadequate. So frustrating. Thanks for the good suggestion about the attorney.

A better choice would be to apply for Scottish citizenship once finally the country becomes independent and free from the royal parasites.
The main motivation was to get a passport in relatively short time bc my Cdn one was due to expire in 15 months at the time I applied for the UK one. They are changing the def'n of fully vaxxed and ir wouldn't surprise me if they started denying passport renewals (whether de jure or de facto) if you don't enthusiastically volunteer to get jabbed as many times as they want...

The main motivation was to get a passport in relatively short time bc my Cdn one was due to expire in 15 months at the time I applied for the UK one. They are changing the def'n of fully vaxxed and ir wouldn't surprise me if they started denying passport renewals (whether de jure or de facto) if you don't enthusiastically volunteer to get jabbed as many times as they want...
You could buy a covid vaccine from a eu country…

You could buy a covid vaccine from a eu country…
I was trying to keep everything above-board as long as I could. I'm wondering if they don't have a way of checking if you've been jabbed - whether you light up on a scan or emit some MAC address or something else...I'll keep it as a last resort move.

The UK passport office is a bureaucracy and in last few years has created a very hostile environment I can tell you. I know people personally who live in UK and whose children have a British passport already and when they went to just renew it where asked for birth certificate from the father to prove they are British - for an existing British passport holder living in UK!!!

That being said in your case there is no inside connections method when it comes to this in UK its not a banana republic....yet. One thing you can check is whether your dad registered your birth at the British Embassy in Canada. Parents often do this when in a foreign country as its wise to do so. The British embassy in Canada would keep it on record which is useful. Also now they actually issue a document that makes it easy to later apply for a passport. I don't know if they started this when you were born but worth checking.

If that fails I would speak to Citizens Advice in Scotland and explain your situation. It's free and they can often point you in right direction as they most probably will have dealt with similar situations before.
Didnt see your reply until now - OK thx for the suggestion about Citizens Advice! I will try that. I'm pretty sure my Dad didn't register me.

a regular birth certificate is not going to cut it. you need a:

"birth certificate with parental information"

or

"certified copy of birth registration"

You can easily order either of those from your province of birth and the UK will accept those
I submitted the long form BC that has my parents' names on it and it wasn't good enough.
Are you quoting that from the gov.uk site? Can you link?

they should accept that one but they might need it to be apostilled/certified by the federal government (Global Affairs Canada).
i would speak to a different person at the passport office because it seems like the person who originally told you they need an original is an idiot.

they should accept that one but they might need it to be apostilled/certified by the federal government (Global Affairs Canada).
i would speak to a different person at the passport office because it seems like the person who originally told you they need an original is an idiot.
I have an authenticated/apostilled copy I could give them. I told them about it in an email that, like many others, went unanswered. Do you have personal experience with this application process and know that they have accepted an authenticated copy in the past? I don't understand why they won't accept photocopies of hospital records that were certified as true copies by a notary. THe hosp I was born in told me there was no way I could get the originals.

The total fee to manage entire application process for citizenship registration is about 1800 gbp from sable international . They seem to know every possible pathway. Lots of other immigration attorneys are only familiar with some basic routes, so suggest you tall to sable and get their advice. I am not related to them in any way - just used them and found they knew a lot lot more than multiple other immigration law firms i spoke with.

The total fee to manage entire application process for citizenship registration is about 1800 gbp from sable international . They seem to know every possible pathway. Lots of other immigration attorneys are only familiar with some basic routes, so suggest you tall to sable and get their advice. I am not related to them in any way - just used them and found they knew a lot lot more than multiple other immigration law firms i spoke with.
Thanks for the lead. I eventually got the passport after sending an original medical record from the first few weeks of life and a series of photos with me and my parents at various ages.

Latest Threads